Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Great Lengths Article

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 2:00pm
Adina,
I dont think ur a manequin. GL has mixed emotions on this board because of the cost. The hair is quality yet pricy,so labor has to be marked up for it to be worth your while.
Please include pics of the GL tips!
Try photobucket
Syren explains it here:

http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP934431446&id=9443

Gina
I've got a new puppy!!!
She's a White Boxer
adina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 2:08pm
I am just starting out with GL as a rep.I got certified just so I could buy the hair although it is pricely even when buying straight from GL.My prices are very reasonable according to a few girls on this site.I will post pix asap![IMG]
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 2:46pm
Oh, that unregistered user was just a dork. None of us thought you were a mannequin head!

Anyway, here's my question about Great Lengths, and maybe you (or some other fusion stylists here) can shed some light on it. GL bond remover is acetone, right? I know that when you use acetone on your nails, they get very soft and weak, at least of the few minutes that the're wet with acetone, and then afterwards they feel very dry. (Dry nails, I know...I sound insane.)

Now, since hair and nails are made of the same kind of keratin, I would imagine that acetone does the same thing to hair as it does to nails. And if acetone makes nails soft and weak, why wouldn't it do the same thing to hair- especially since hair is so much thinner than nails?

Mind you, I'm not trying to denigrate GLs or re-start the Great Lengths Wars, as I work for neither GL nor Hairlocs or anyone else, really. It's just an honest question. :)

-Rae
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 5:42pm
Well than I guess Im a dork....because I thought it looked like a mannequin head too. Before this full length picture was posted it was just a shoulder & up picture and it looked like a mannequin!
adina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 10:59am
Just call me manakin head!~J.K.~
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 11:08am
Mannequin head!!!

Hate to be a pest!
I'd love to see those pics,maybe a close up of your bonds,and a pic of an actual tip(shown to scale)
Danka!(See me splekins de duetch!)
Gna
I've got a new puppy!!!
She's a White Boxer
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 6:08pm
Im a DORK.......LOL!

Sorry adina!
HannahLu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HannahLu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 7:34pm
Hey all! I've read through this thread and don't think I will refer to Adina as a mannequin head...hehehe I had to laugh at that one.

Howver, I do agree with what she has said, though. I am on my second round of GL's, and have had better luck this time. I am happy to say I am one of those 100% satisfied customers. I had them in the first time in July 04, and after three months, they came out, but...I also had my hair bleached (not really bleached, but I am a natural dark brunette and I had hair the color of Paris Hilton! You do the math!) several times during the course of the extensions, as well as for YEARS prior to. I am a reforming haircolor addict (Hi, my name is HannahLu and I have a hairdying problem), and damaged my hair so much prior to the extensions that they actually made it look better! However, coming out of them was painstaking, and there was some damage, but mainly split end breakage. I opted for a bob cut and let my hair grow from Oct. 27, 2004 (date of extension removal) until January 27, 2004.

I went natural this time, and have not had my hair colored since October 16, 2004. My hair looks great with the GL's, and yes, the hair is WONDERFUL!! It's just acting different than before. I also take hair, skin, and nail vitamins for growth. I figure it can't hurt it!

And yes, the article is trying to sell the public on the ides of GL's. IMO, they should only be worn by people with thicker, healthier hair. I don't have thin hair, or hair loss, so I may be a better candidate for them than someone who has finer, thinner hair. My extensionist also told me that he turns down women who are not good candidates, unless they are bent on getting them despite what he says. I don't think that a stylist should ethically sell someone something that they know isn't good for that person merely to make a profit...but this isn't a perfect world, and there are some greedy, crooked extensionists out there (As evidenced by nightmare stories posted to this board).
Save~A~Stray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 8:18pm
HannahLu~ So there is a 100% satisfied customer......I eat my words then.

I just totally disagreed (and still do) that Great Lengths " helps hair health and growth".......!!

I would say as this is only your second application and you have not had the 2nd removal done.....I would like to hear about the condition afterwards. You have just had the second set put in....right?
People report it is on the removal process, that most of the damage gets done (of course this is all up to who does the removal). You at least sound like a Great Lengths candidate if you have thicker, healther hair now.

Unfortunetely, not all extensionists care about the client's hair ......you're right there is too many greedy people who just want the money regardless of what it will do to the client's hair. This will be something that will always be a problem in this industry. You sound like you have a good caring extensionist. Stick with him I'd say!!

Well, enjoy your new hair!!
marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 8:34am
Zapevaj, I rememember reading a thread that talked about removing GL and that the remover was 150 proof alcohol or somthing simaler. This makes sence to me because years ago I had a client from Itaily with GL and I tryed acetone to get them out It was very very hard to break the bond with that. I wish I had known what to use then!!!I spent all day trying to get them out and couldn't get a hold of the company back then!!!
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 10:04pm
I actually remember a post where someone said they use Bacardi 151 rum to remove GLs......It was a hillarious thread, I think it went something like...one squit on the hair, one squirt in the mouth....one squirt on the hair, two squirts in the mouth...*hiccup*
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic