Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Synth Steaming Report

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
juliejetson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juliejetson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 10:30pm
The ends do get kinda wonky(sp?). Just keep that brush moving when styling them with steam/blowdryer and they should smooth right out.
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 10:42pm
This is getting scary! Bunchy? That's no good! Steaming will fix bunchiness, but take out the curl? Oh NO!!
To be honest, I think the PH doesn't feel all that smooth and silky...one color particularly (pfefferschwarz, it's like #2), but the beautiful Mahagani does feel silky. Most interesting, the PH feels just like the Trimco I ordered, although Trimco only comes straight.
Hmmm.
The good news is I did many curl tests last night and Trimco, when treated right, will curl and the curl will last, just like WaWa. And the PH curl will rejuvenate with my curling iron when curled wet. But but...isn't it a huge pain to recurl a whole head?!
Bunchiness in only a week. Hmmm.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 11:12pm
Yeah, well, that's what I had anyway. But it did smooth out with the blow-dryer. I think the length contributed to it. Maybe it was something I was doing wrong though. More experimentation is needed to get an accurate read on this. (In other words, don't go by me!) You may also want to ask Mer and Kalika. :)
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 1:35am
Originally posted by Bridget Bridget wrote:

What do you think about adding some fab. softener in the water part of the steamer?

It's bad for your steamer, actually- it will gunk up eventually and die. :(

-Rae
FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 10:14am
OK here's what I did:

1) wrapped it up in those little white squishy roller things
2) steamed it
3) let it dry, about 30 minutes
4) removed the rollers

voila, big, beautiful hair, once again. . .

ends still need some work but I am VERY VERY blow dryer shy at this point.

Also I went ahead and ordered a weft of 18/22 French whatever from Glamour Hair. I'm with you Jenny, it's like IMPOSSIBLE to NOT get heat near this hair, I mean c'mon. . .if I wasn't jacking with styling my hair what would I be doing?? (oh yeah, I might be, oh, say, cleaning my house, doing laundry, exercising. . .NAH)

Anyway I'm going to go ahead and put some human hair in the places where I must control the look!! I'm going to make strands with the LG/nail glue method and attach them with shrinkies.

I think that synth works well on the parts of my hair that I do very little with -- i.e. the BACK. It is going STRONG!!

-Fina
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 10:46am
Rae, yeah your prob. right. Maybe something that wouldn't be clogging??

Fina, that's a good idea! Just put the hh in the areas that need style control!

It is what it is...
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 10:52am
Fina. That's brilliant! Synth in the back, hh in the front and sides - that way, a bag of hh will go a long, long way! And the front is WAY easier to maintain yourself with shrinkies, extentubes, whatever, and you can mess around to your heart's content without having to wrestle with the back!
Ohmygod. Where's Save-A-Stray?! I need the back of my head pinchbraided IMMEDIATELY!
So Fina, are you going to do that - put the hh in the front yourself? Pls keep us updated (like you wouldn't)!
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 11:23am
HH in the front/sides and synth in the back with WaWa is what I'm doing. It's working beautifully. Very little upkeep. http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP934431446&id=9267

Here's GH's french in 18/22. It's what I wear as well. Curls big as well as smooths beautifully.

Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 11:53am
But the synth you're wearing is straight, isn't it, amm? It's good to know that it's very little upkeep and we know how awesome yours looks. I'm just wondering if a person wears 28mm PH in the back and does NOT jack with it - especially no heat - if the curl will stay in rather than fall completely out. That is my main question.

That 18/22 blend is frickin' gorgeous.
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 12:01pm
Ahhhhhh. Thought you were just talking synth in general.

Just from my own testing of the PH's curl, it relaxes after each wash until the curl turns to wave and then it's eventually gone. This is without blowdrying or styling.

In the meantime, I installed the WaWa after wrapping it around the tiniest iron. The curl was like a ringlet. I haven't had to mess with it since and it keeps a strong wave through washing. If only this stuff came in the colors and length PH did.
FinaFina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FinaFina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 1:34pm
My 28mm PH is quite full of body and I have washed it LIBERALLY. It is nowhere near STRAIGHT -- in fact the only parts of it that have threatened to be straight are the ones that I've messed with with the blowdryer.

The back is still wavy -- no problems there at all. Again - I've not put *any* heat on the back.

amm I got the 18/22 French Refined regular weft. I'm going to pretip it and remove some of the yuckier synth from the front. I've gotten GH's 18/22 mix before, but in the body wave pretips, and LOVED the colors. I got it in the 18" but I'm thinking that 14" will work as well -- since I taper it so much around my face. I sure hate to waste that long HH!!

Will keep you posted. The GH won't be here for another week or so. . .

Fina

Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 5:58pm
This is interesting because it seems like we're having a range of results with the PlastikHaar. Mine and Kalika's seemed to straighten almost immediately; Mer's retained a little wave; AMM's tests have shown that the wave loosens and goes straight; and Fina's is still going strong. Well, I'm sure we'll figure it out.

I think it's safe to say that to lengthen the life of the curl, it's best to:
1. Avoid blowing the hair out with a dryer or steamer.
2. Get a shorter cut (not butt-length anyway), preferably with layers.
3. Get the 28mm, as opposed to the 50mm.
4. Avoid hot water or frequent washing (although Fina has done this with success).
5. Try to finger-tousle the hair as much as possible, rather than brushing.

The rest remains a mystery....

:)
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2005 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by amm amm wrote:

If only this stuff came in the colors and length PH did.

By the way (don't know if I mentioned this yet), I sent a therm sample to Sara at PH (the ebonyline Adore, not the WaWa, which I don't have). Hopefully, she'll be able to hook up something similar in her lengths and colors. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic