Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shrinks/extentubes pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shrinks/extentubes pics
    Posted: March 04 2005 at 12:23pm
I pretipped with shrinkies... I found it way easier to keep the hair on the weft as I pretipped...

Can you guys please comment on my application, also the size of my pretips.. too small, too big?

I glued a big strip of the wefted hair, let is dry for about a 1/2 hour, then cut and rolled the hair to make the tipped hair this way.

can anyone tell me if this tip looks alright?
thanks for all your comments!

My doll is so sweet, so far no complaints from her!
It is what it is...
amm View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 1:11pm
This board is wonky. I posted a response and then it timed out.

Pretipping Shrinkies right on the weft? That's genius. I never even thought of that. What an excellent idea. They look pretty flat, though. What are you using to shrinkie them with and are you rolling them on the weft?

Your dolly's rows look great. I don't see any errant strands getting taken in from the sides. I think that's a major cause of damage when it comes to strand by strand. And, most of the damage is caused by the wearer themselves when they finger comb and just finger fiddle through the day. They end up catching those stray ones and snap them mid-shaft and voila! there's your shortie broken hairs when you end up removing the ring.

The bottom pic is incredible. That looks like pro stick hair. Correction: that looks BETTER than pro stick hair. That's a great rolling job. Really awesome job at pretipping. What's your glue?

(edits because I keep having more questions)
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 1:47pm
I am rolling them on the weft. I'm using the heating clamp from Dr. Locks. I don't have any finger cots, so it's a quick roll, release, roll, release.. lol! I did notice they are a little flat though. No sizzle sound either. And I have learned that it's more of a hard/solid bond when the nail glue is used (over the pretipped hair).

My glue is called Salon Pro, bonding glue. I've used this glue for bonded extensions for some time now. It comes in white or black, and the white drys clear. I think I've tried LG once in the past and didn't like it much.. compared to the Salon Pro. Does the LG have a brush/cap and is it like honey almost?

The extentubes are pretty simple, I'm surprised. Even the removal I've got down pat. I still don't think I'm corrdinated enough to do my own hair though. It's hard to loop my hair with the shrinkie or extentube.

It is what it is...
Cali-Kristin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cali-Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 2:06pm
Hey Bridget, Your new ideas are awesome! I had thought of glueing the entire weft together and then snipping small pieces off but I never tried it. Great to know it works! Would you mind if I put some of your examples up on my tutorial page to help others?

Your sectioning and everythign looks great! Keep up the great work!
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 3:30pm
Not a problem Kristen!

Any hints to making it easier looping my own hair so I can do my own install? Or, anyone in Ohio (Sherrie???) that is interested in applying extentubes on me?

Also, any geaunie pigs in the area that want shrinkies or extentubes???
It is what it is...
kristinc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 4:55pm
Wish I was in Ohio....I would let you try on me!!!
Darn
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 4:58pm
I agree: Tipping on the weft is genius! No wasted hair, everything lines up perfectly. Excellent idea.

And I agree with AMM and Kristin: The sectioning looks good, and there are no renegade strands, which is important.

The only problem I see is that the shrinkies look flat-ish and not shrunk enough. Some of mine came out this way, too, and I never sizzled either--lol. Perhaps you should play around with your heat settings and try to roll them a bit more.

That said, this is a very, very promising demo. Me likes!!! :)

One question: What size extendtubes are those? :)

Oh, and one more thing: I think the size looks perfectly good. You might want to do smaller tips for around the ears and more visible areas (crown, part, hairline, etc.), but I think that's a good size for the majority of the head.
Cali-Kristin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cali-Kristin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 6:49pm
Hints for doing your own... Patience! haha...

Are you using a threading needle? I find that's the easiest way to thread the tubes on the back of my hair. A three way mirror works great too. I even saw a post not too long ago where a gal pointed her video camera at the back of her head, plugged it into the TV and sat in front of the TV watching a live cast of the back of her head. She had a great experience with applying her extensions and didn't have to worry about the backwards images a mirror produces.

EmmaSkye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaSkye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 7:29pm
Genius absolute genius, thanks for sharing!!! Im actually getting excited about trying extensions again after my fiasco with shrinkies.
SHE human hair blend, 18", #4 with Supertape.
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 8:35pm
Genius!!! I'm going to try the tipping on weft right now! Bridget... Is the glue youre refering to latex? I feel the same way about LG-"hated it"!
I think Jenny asked before... what size tubes are you working with?
Bravo!
Gina
I've got a new puppy!!!
She's a White Boxer
metalgirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 10:59pm
I am trying to pre-tip my Plastikhaar with shrinkies, but I too am getting them too flat and not round. I am not hearing the sizzle sound and they don't seem as if they are shrinking all the way.

I have been using my conair baby flat iron that I use to install the MB Shrink Links. It doesn't have a temperature control on it.
Amanda8beech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amanda8beech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 2:32am
Hi there guys. I tried the latex on the weft thing last night but it didn't work for me. When I'd cut the weft off I found it really difficult to 1) cut up the hair into the latex without a lot of shedding and 2) when I rolled it because the latex was uneven on the weft it rolled uneven. Although the tips came out ok, it took a lot longer than squirting a blob of latex on the workbench, cutting the hair from the weft and fanning and saturating with the nozzle but that's just my opinion xxxx
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 2:10pm
Phew, I'm back after some hectic running around...

My extendtubes are the med. size. I ordered the kit from Kristen's site, haircandy.net.

Gina, yes my glue is latex, howdya guess?

Kristen, how do you use a threading needle for the back?

Has anyone tried taking a flat iron to the WaWa hair?

Going to practice my shrinkies!
It is what it is...
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2005 at 9:33pm
Pretipping right off the weft looks like a great idea, my only concern is all the little shortie hairs from the weft being glued in as well.
Bridget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bridget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2005 at 8:20am
Kalika, if you split the weft you shouldn't have this problem. Use a razor and slice the weft in half, making two wefts.
It is what it is...
adina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 10:44am
I must say I'm really amazed by all the talent and love of work on this forum..Genius is Right.Bravo Ladies!
kristiemlove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristiemlove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 10:58pm
Can someone help me with this?  I am so confused by all this, but want to try it.  Can anyone explain?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristiemlove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2007 at 11:25pm
Are these 2 different methods she is explaining?  One, pre-tipping on the weft with shrinkies and, two, pre-tipping on the weft using glue.  Is that where I am confusing myself trying to combine the 2 or is this all really one method?  Looks like this post was 2 years ago but looking for alternative ways to tip my hair.  I am having a real problem keeping extensions in for very long and looking for any alternatives.  I have predominantly used nail tips, finding certain hair bonds much stronger than others, but of course they are not on the hair that I like.  I have been using shrinkies for past few weeks but having a hard time with either losing hair or them slipping out.  If it is pre-tipped I tip, I have been using the super glue.  ANy suggestions? 
BunnyWabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BunnyWabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 5:28pm
yes it is two methods of pre-tipping explained here. I haven't heard of anyone using ONLY super glue, so I'd reccemend trying another type of glue before coating in super glue. Super glue and nail glue is usually used only as a top coat over the tip to seal it.

hairextensions101.com has good tutorials and helpful members as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristiemlove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 5:38pm
Oh, heavens no, not using solely super glue.  I am tipping with the shrinkie and then using super glue on just the tip.  Just wonder if anyone has tried it and it works?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic