Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The Synth Chronicles: 3 Weeks, 1 Day, and 10 Washes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Synth Chronicles: 3 Weeks, 1 Day, and 10 Washes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2005 at 7:59am
Originally posted by Scotchyroo Scotchyroo wrote:

Someone needs to invent a big spiral roller for long synthetic.

You're not kidding! I love that idea.

And what I mean about the right-size rollers is that I've got a mix of medium, large, and jumbo, which are just enough to do my head. If I had lots of them, I'd be able to do smaller sections at a time, ideally all with the mediums, which seem to hold the curl best.

I have curled this hair while damp/wet with an iron, and it does work (in fact, the iron produces a very resilient curl). The biggest problems with it are: A) You need to be careful, or you'll fry the hair; and B) (even more important) because the hair is so sensitive to heat (much more so than human or therm, imo), any "flaws" created during the curling process are difficult to remove.

More specifically, the biggest problem I have with curling the hair is that the clamp part of the iron (that holds the hair down) can create an undesirable crimp or bend that's ironed into the hair at that point. Again, this is because the hair is so heat-sensitive. (Hopefully that makes sense.) I'm almost thinking it would be helpful to create a soft fabric "sleeve" or something just for the clamp part. Alternately, a brush-style (rather than clamp-style) curling iron might work, and I'll be trying the velvet rollers soon, so we'll see.

I have to say, once this hair is smoothed, it's much less tangly and high-maintainence--at least for me--than human. And I'm optimistic that we'll figure out something to add some curl. I think Fina's been experimenting, too.

:)

Scotchyroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchyroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2005 at 7:18am
That's great, really great. It really doesn't seem like it's that big of a drama for you to look after. When you say you wish you had the right size rollers, do you wish they were bigger?
Just curious. Someone needs to invent a big spiral roller for long synthetic, or how about this?
What if you wrapped the hair around the barrel of a big curling iron and lightly steamed it yourself? Have you already tried something like that?
LuckieDuckies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuckieDuckies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 9:38pm
i think it looks great! the straight actually looks better than last time *not that it looked bad last time!* it actually looks like you just put product in your hair to make it a little piecey to style it..and the wave is pretty : )
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 9:23pm
Jenny I think the wave looks awesome!
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 8:55pm
Leia,

Can you see the wavier pic? It's not loading for me, but anyway....

Yeah, I totally agree--with the hair pin-straight, it's just way too piecey, and the waves help a little, which is part of the reason I'm trying to create some curls.

I think the Caruso rollers are good, in that they feel moisturizing to the hair and do add some wave, but it's not really all that lasting in this hair--at least for me. Once I brush it, it relaxes a lot; maybe I'll have better luck with the velvet-covered ones...

leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 8:50pm
Jenny, I think it does work better wavy. It really hides the piece-y-ness that is unfortunately quite obvious with the super-straight hair. It does look good after three weeks of experimentation. =)
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 8:44pm
Ugghh..I cannot get this photo to work....
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2005 at 8:40pm
Hey girls,

These are the latest pics of my PH/Dome combo. On the plus side, the hair feels silky and soft--almost like new. I'm not having any problems with the hair being too stiff anymore. I recently had it trimmed and steamed, and the blow-drying really smooths it out, too. In this photo, it's just been washed, blow-dried, and brushed with a bit of Biosilk, and it feels great. It's in better condition, imo, than human hair would be after three weeks:

On the downside, that blow-drying (above) makes the hair pin-straight, so you must add the curl, if that's the look you want. Here's my attempt with Caruso rollers left in for a half-hour. It would look better, I think, if I had the right-size rollers and more of them, and I still have some pieciness issues to figure out (not with the hair, but with the pinchbraids).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic