Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Organic Protein Hair (pic intensive)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Organic Protein Hair (pic intensive)
    Posted: March 10 2005 at 12:19am
Since I can't rename a thread, I'll make a new one.....

What we know so far about Organic Protein Hair:
1. It can be curled, like WaWa, and may or may not be made out of a similar fiber. This stuff claims to be derived from collagen.
2. Two companies make OPH hair: Zury and Sensationnel. Zury makes silky yaky 14" or 18" wefts, Sensationnel makes a 20" euro straight weave and a yaky weave.
3. All are difficult to find.

Both of my local non-Sally hair suppliers carry Zury OPH. One has 14" wefts, the other has 18" wefts. Either length runs $14 or $15. I bought the 18" weave in black wine, shown below. It's more of a reddish #4, if you ask me. I can't compare it to WaWa texture, since I haven't felt that. This is definitely a little coarser than my real hair. It feels like dry Chinese hair (I'm of course referencing my friend, Jenny's, hair). It may be a truer silky yaky. It is also just a tad shinier than my real hair.

These are the washing instructions. This is the first synth I've seen that says to use conditioner.

I tried to curl it dry first, but it didn't come out well. I now think that either my iron wasn't hot enough yet or I didn't apply heat long enough. I put and little water on my fingers, smoothed down the hair and re-curled for about 15-20 seconds. I've included the iron for reference. I think it's 5/8".

Here, I ran it under water, patted it dry, and curled it damp....somewhat equivalent to using a steam curling iron. (Sherrie, according to Conair's website, they still make one!) The curl is a bit tighter, but I also had to keep the iron on it much longer.

I separated the curl, just to see how well it held. Frankly, it's better than how my real hair holds a curl.

Here's the proof that it curls completely dry just fine if your iron is hot enough and you hold it long enough (like 20 seconds).

I then rinsed out the curl and conditioned the piece. Unlike WaWa, the hair does not hold a curl after washing. It behaves just like human hair. Also, this stuff does not feel like synthetic when wet....it feels real. I dried it using my hot air brush.

The tests were encouraging. I have to wait to install because I need to dye my hair this weekend (bye-bye magenta). Then I will install a weft or two to see how well it stands up to real-life wear.
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 1:26am
How can it be organic protein, or collagen (which is not a protein IIRC- isn't it a lipid?) if it's synthetic?

I'm not doubting what you say, mind you- I think it's another case of product-naming stupidity. :P

-Rae
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 3:23am
Leia,

I'm just curious: Have you tried to curl the PH too? Because it does curl rather well when wet, and it's pretty lasting. When dry, it can get those frizzies, too. I'm just wondering how the OPH compares to the PH. :)
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 5:54am
Like the OPH the ebonyline thermal that I am wearing does not hold curl after washing either. Except the very tips sometimes holds a little flip on the ends.
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 11:02am
Leia, if you want, I'll send you a hunk of my WaWa hair so you can compare the two. BM me your address and I'll mail some.
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 12:01pm
Rae, yep the wording is confusing. Admittedly, it does not say synthetic anywhere on the package (I'm using the term simply to mean not human, which is inaccurate). And yeah, I thought collagen was a fatty substance, but this site, http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/molecules/pdb4_1.html , says collagen is the most abundant protein in the human body.

Jenny, I haven't tried curling PH yet. Actually, my personal preference is for it to not hold a curl after washing, since the rest of my hair wouldn't, and I wear my hair straight more often than curly.

Syren, I'll take you up on that offer, and send you some OPH in exchange.

Oh, and I read somewhere that this stuff can be dyed darker, so I'll slap some Clairol Colorgloss on it when I dye my hair. Of course, this isn't the best color to see a difference in, since it's already dark.
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 10:00pm
Well, I tried dying it. It did change color, but not much. I used Clairol Colorgloss (semi), which turned my real hair pretty much off-black (the dye is labeled dark ash brown). The OPH hair I said was basically a red-toned #4. Well, the Colorgloss turned it a true #4--the ash dye got rid of the red. It's one shade lighter than my real hair came out.

Of course, dying such a dark shade isn't the best test. Also, I should see if a permanent color has better results. Come to think of it, I have some permanent burgundy black around somewhere. Still the easiest way to test would be to buy the OPH in white (yep, it comes in pure white) and try dying that all different colors. Can you imagine if Special Effects worked on it? I could have any color of the rainbow. =)
Syren123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Syren123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2005 at 10:21pm
Leia, I got the hair in the mail today (thanks!) and you're right: it does feel less plasticky than PH and it does look very real. It's a pretty color you sent, too, the dark wine. But the real beauty is in the curling! It curls just beautifully. This is really nice synth - I'm pleasantly surprised! Do you know what other colors it comes in besides white? What about textures -wavy or french? Where did you say you got it? And what was it called again exactly (is the pkg pictured the same hair)? Maybe I can call around and see who's got what.
Sorry for the million questions but it seems to be really good synth hair!!

Edited by Syren123
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 1:04am
Syren, I got the hair you sent today, too.  I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, since I had rehearsal, but the WaWa feels very similar to the OPH, but the WaWa is finer textured, which I think is a plus.

The exact name is Zury (or sometimes Hollywood, same company, though) Organic Protein Hair.  The package pictured is the actual pack I bought.  It comes in 14" and 18" wefts, silky yaky texture only.  I got it from a store in a local mall, as I couldn't find an online retailer.  Here's the product page (it lists all the colors): http://www.royalimex.com/aspx/product_detail.aspx?item=OPH%2 0SILKY%20YAKY&category=&size=

I think the store I went to carried every color in 18" wefts.  Another store in my area stocks the 14" wefts.  And here is the store locator: http://www.royalimex.com/Stores/default.asp  The place I bought it is the only store they list in the San Jose area, but they had lots of it!

If you know of any places that stock a ton of Sensationnel, then it might be worth it to look for their Pro-10 weaving, which is also considered organic protein hair.  It comes in yaky straight and euro straight.  I emailed Sensationnel, and the only websites they gave me did not carry it.

I think if you're trying to decide between something like WaWa or PH and the OPH, it's a matter of how long you want the curl to last.  OPH will wash out right away, whereas WaWa and PH last longer.  Also, the OPH takes a tight curl...as in, the size of your curling iron barrel really is the same as your curl will be, you just might have to apply heat a little longer than you would on human hair.

Edited because I'm having linkage problems.

Edited by leia1979
EmmaSkye View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaSkye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 2:46am
I just got my WAWA in and its beautiful hair but its still a lot more silky than I like. That OPH looks to be a more ture yaky texture and would probably blend with my hair better.
SHE human hair blend, 18", #4 with Supertape.
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2005 at 5:25am

Hey Em you might want to try the ebonyline thermal fiber. It is slightly more yaki textured. Not quite as silky as the freetress or the wawa.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic