Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alternatives to acetone?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternatives to acetone?
    Posted: March 10 2005 at 8:26pm
Has anyone used either of these for keratin takedowns?

[ ]

[ ]

Are there any other healthy alternatives?
I've got a new puppy!!!
She's a White Boxer
saucyblossom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saucyblossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 8:53pm
Ok This is far from scientific- as for healthy - I have no idea - but I used to put a drop of lightly diluted lavender essential oil on my scalp just because I liked the smell. I had to quit becasue it MELTED my bonds. Go Figure.

Also I have seen lavender oil sold in the art store as a solvent.
Early years are learning years, make them count!
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 8:56pm
I can say every keratin remover that Ive bought has acetone as the #1 ingredient. Right now I have the x-10+ remover from notjustwigs and the ingredients are acetone, glycerin and fragrance. I generally forego the high priced removers and go straight to the professional acetone.

The C-22 I have never seen so I dont know whats in it. But Id guess its acetone also.

If there is a better alternative out there I have yet to find it! But Id sure like to!

Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 8:57pm
Good to know!
Thanks... more experimenting!
Edited bc I didn't see your post Sherrie
Won't be getting X10
I'll search around for those ingredtients.
I'd like to be a bit kinder to the hair and forgo pure acetone.
Gna
I've got a new puppy!!!
She's a White Boxer
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 9:04pm
I cant blame you Gina, Id like to forego the acetone too, but so far its what I find works the best, and my real hair is no worse off for using the acetone. I didnt see the other post about the lavender oil (cause I was digging out products and looking at ingredient lists!) but the lavender oil may be something to look into!
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 9:07pm
Sher,

Do you know anything about isopropyl alchohol (or "isopropanol")? As you know, GLs has said they don't use acetone for removal, but instead use alchohol. As it turns out, the alcohol is isopropyl alchohol, which is very similar, supposely, to acetone. I was wondering if you've used any removers with that ingredient.

Maybe some chemists out there know the difference between the two?

:)
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 9:12pm
Why doesn't somebody with some keratin drop some in a dish of rubbing alcohol and leave it overnight to see what happens?

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 9:35pm
Jenny Ive heard that GLs remover's main ingredient is isopropyl alcohol. And Ive never tried it on keratin, it could possibly work? But I dont think it would be any better on the hair than acetone. I might give it a try just for the sake of experimenting!
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 9:39pm
Yeah, I seem to think they're very similar, really. (I'm no scientist, though.) I know acetone gets a bad rap, but I feel like the isopropyl alcohol is probably just as harsh. :)
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 9:46pm
I know that I can remove fingernail polish with acetone and most polishes will also come off with alcohol. I also know that Ive removed glue residue left from pricetags, stickers etc. with alcohol, so its likely that alcohol will probably work for just about any brand of keratin too. I agree that one is no less harsh than the other!
leia1979 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leia1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 10:15pm
Isopropyl alcohol is less harsh than acetone, if only because it comes in different formulations. I use 70% isopropyl alcohol on my face as an astringent. (Maybe not the best thing for me, but it removes oil & dirt way better than anything else.) Obviously, I wouldn't use pure acetone on my skin (can you say "Owwww!"). Of course, you can also get 99% alcohol, which is a bit stronger. I still don't think isopropyl alcohol has the same solvent properties that acetone has. Alcohol is a good drying agent, which would make the bonds more brittle. I think acetone is stronger, but maybe that's because we deal in pure acetone more often than pure alcohol. It's certainly worth experimenting.

And Jenny, you're right. Chemically the two are quite similar...a bunch of carbon and hydrogen atoms with some oxygen thrown in just for fun.
Gina E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gina E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 10:53pm
Katherine...I'm thinking I'll be the guinee pig
Alchohol is harsh, what about Witch Hazel?
I called a vendor[http://store.adventhair.com/2001.html ]
He wasn't given up much info, but he did say He's most positive it doesnt containe acetone.
So, I searched MSDS no luck. However, they offer to help if you can't find the chemical ingredients on their site.I emailed them with the link and product info and asked for their help.
I left my fusion stuff at work... So I'll play this weekend.
Thanks ladies!
I've got a new puppy!!!
She's a White Boxer
Save~A~Stray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 11:01pm
I worked with a hair extension artist in New York and could not believe his practices!! He would steal the nail polish remover from the nail tech and use that for all his fusion removals. He never ever bought fusion remover!!

He's probably still doing it today............
Koffee Brown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koffee Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 11:12pm
I have some Citrus remover spray that I use to remove my lacefront wig. Don't know if it's the same as C-22, but the link from advent says "citrus based super cleaner". So they might be similar. Unfortunately, no ingredients on the label tho.

I purchased the X-10 remover when I did fusion for first time, but like the other ladies, I have since started using just pure acetone.
K-B
Save~A~Stray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Save~A~Stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 11:43pm
Gina~The C-22 is a a citrus based cleaner, used to clean hairpieces and lace fronts.

It's formulated to work with both monofilament or poly based foundations.You should never leave this solvent on silicone bases more than 2-3 minutes.

I stock this stuff because my hubby has a hairpiece and that’s what I use to clean his unit.

Ingredients:organic wetting agents,petroleum hydrocarbons,citrus oils and lanolin.

I was just thinking the MB residue cleaner is an orange oil, so this C-22 might be good to remove shrinkie residue. No ingredients listed on MB bottle. Hmmm……have to try it!!
zapevaj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zapevaj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2005 at 11:48pm
Yeah, orange oil can be a powerful solvent: it's what's in that Fast Orange hand-wash (the kind mechanics use t remove grease), and I've heard they use it to remove rust from planes.

As for isopropyl...hm, isn't that rubbing alcohol? That's not so bad.

-Rae
boogiemama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boogiemama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 12:03am
I tried out a cold fusion technique a long time ago (company doesn't sell the system now) and they used an orange de-greaser for removal. It was awful.

edit: the adhesive smelled exactly like superelasticbubbleplastic.
I don't know if any of you are old enough to remember that, but I think that's actually what it was.

I'm an editing ****** (another name for a promiscuous woman) tonite. forgive me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic