Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hwo do I re-create this style with synth?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hwo do I re-create this style with synth?
    Posted: March 12 2005 at 4:38pm
Has anyone ever used these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=75031&item=5564740806&rd=1
or these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36407&item=5564481639&rd=1

The reason I'm asking is because right now, the loosest curl I'm able to create with hot rollers (the biggest ones I can find) is this:

But ideally, Id like it to look looser, like this:

With synth, the hair really takes on exactly the curl of the barrel or roller you're using, and it doesn't loosen easily, like human does.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks! :)

krs523 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krs523 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 4:42pm
Hey, Jenny - I've used both of those on my real hair and the curl is pretty tight. I would use them to curl before putting my hair up to get ringlets. I don't think they would give you the loose curl you're looking for.

Hope that helps!
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 5:56pm
Good to know, Kate. :)
marie87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marie87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 8:15pm
try curling the hair then take that peice (it has to be hot so be quick) and transfer to large velcro to cool as long as the hair is warm enough it will shape to whatever you roll it on to.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 8:36pm
That's an interesting idea, too. I'll try it!

Thanks!
sherrie215 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrie215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2005 at 9:34pm
Ive never tried the spoolies, and I didnt see if they listed a diameter in the auction description but I have something similar to the twisters and that would definitely be a very tight curl.
divinediva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divinediva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 6:44am
Wow Jenny...ur hair is really holding up well...is that the same batch u had installed a while back?...still looks great!

xx
It doesn't have to be natural to be fabulous!!!/
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 7:17am
Yup! I'm surprised, too. A few times, I thought the hair was getting fried or whatever (I've been doing so much to it), but it's very easy to rehabilitate, either with steaming or blowdrying. It's in better condition, imo, than human hair would be at this point, and I could wear it for awhile more.

That said, I do think it can be beneficial to trim this synth every so often. I've probably cut a total of three inches off the original length, which was extremely long (maybe 28 inches?). I don't think it was necessary, in retrospect, to cut off that much (I could've just smoothed the ends out), but even so, I think it can be beneficial with the longer lengths. Sometimes, I look at a strand and it's in perfect condition right up to the last 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch or so, which looks a little frizzy (this is usually on the topmost or side parts, where I've done more heat styling). Again, these could be smoothed out, but creating a fresh end may be necessary every so often; I don't know.

I know nothing about cutting hair, but it's a little much going to your stylist every time you want a simple trim. My stylist recommended that I buy one of those feather/razor scissors.

:)
divinediva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote divinediva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 5:43pm
kewl....i'm very impressed- they look as good as new, ur looking after them well!

xx
It doesn't have to be natural to be fabulous!!!/
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 8:56pm
I've actually done everything I'm not supposed to do with this hair, but fortunately, yes, it's holding up beautifully.

By the way, I think I've figured out how to create a looser, 50mm-type wave (with the very long lengths, at least):

1. Starting with pin-straight, dry hair, roll the bottom 2 inches or so in jumbo rollers (as little hair as you can, just to create a bend on the ends); use fairly large sections, which should take 7 rollers or so. Leave 'em in for 5 minutes; remove. Let cool for a few minutes.

2. Roll medium sections of the entire head of hair with large-size rollers, but in reverse: starting at the roots and ending with the ends, which should take about 10 rollers. Leave 'em in for about 15 minutes, or until cool; remove.

The hair should have a fairly consistent loose wave from top to bottom. If it's wavier than desired on top, try using the jumbos for stop 2 instead. Of course, I'm sure the results will be different depending onthe length, thickness, and whether you have layers or not, but this is the closest I've come to re-creating the loose, 50mm wave. I'll play around with the techinque for a few days and post pics when I (hopefully) perfect it some more in the next few days.

Big props to Gina, who recommended rolling the hair from roots to ends the other day. Thank you, Gina--it worked wonderfully!

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic