Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Odd question but...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kristinc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Odd question but...
    Posted: March 13 2005 at 4:16pm
With all the different types of hair, (synthethetic, and Human, Remi, Bohym etc...) how do do you keep everything straight. Then throw in the types of extension methods (shrinkies, extend tubes, fusion, brading etc...)

My head is spinning. I know that I would like to get good quality hair but my brain is mush with all the options.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 4:29pm
That's why we chat on these boards all day! It's an overwhelming amount of information, but the more time you spend chatting about it online and actually doing it, the more it starts to make sense.

It took me a full year of wearing extensions and reading about them, I'd say, to get to the point where I felt like I even knew the basics, and there's tons of stuff I still don't know. There's always something new to learn. :)
kristinc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 4:35pm
Your probably right. My most current dilemma is HH or Synth. Could be because I think the batch I have now is bad. It is VERY dry and almost hay like. So the quest continues.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2005 at 4:47pm
Yeah, whether to use human or synth is a big question, and it really depends on what you're looking for. We've had so many threads on that here. Personally, I'm thrilled that I made the switch from human to synth, but I think human would still be better for some people. :)
kristinc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2005 at 1:32pm
Is there a list of pros and cons for Synth and HH anywhere?
MERGUTHRIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MERGUTHRIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2005 at 2:18pm
i agree, i just read for about it, and keep reading...
i love plastikhaar
MERGUTHRIE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MERGUTHRIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2005 at 2:21pm
per jenny_rr (and I agree)

What I like most about synth:
1) Color--I can actually get the color I want (as well as any other color, practically), and that color stays the same as when it was installed.
2) Length--available in virtually any length you'd possibly need.
3) Price--self-explanatory.
4) Consistency--no issues with getting a good or bad batch; hair is seemingly always the same. Furthermore, it seems to be very consistent between brands (my Dome and PH are holding up the same as far as I can tell).
5) Thickness--the hair is thicker than most of the human I've been able to get, and I like a thicker look.
6) Lack of tangling--I don't think this hair tangles as much as most human (although it does "bunch up" more, especially after washing).

What I like least about synth:
1. Cannot use a curling iron, and need to be careful with the blow-dryer.
2. Would prefer to wash my hair in hot water. (Although you can do this, it's really not best.)
3. Bunching--this is sort of a pain after you wash, because you really need to brush vigorously to remove the bunching, or smooth it out with a blow-dryer. As I said, this may be less of an issue with smaller connections. The synth hair is a bit stiffer, though, so I think it makes the natural pieceyness of strand-by-strand methods somewhat more noticeable.
4. Hair does not hold a curl terribly well from steam rollers (although I still need to try some other methods).
5. Would prefer to wash my hair more often, although I don't think it's best with this hair.

All in all, I'm planning to stick with the synth, but if I had it all to do over again, I would: 1) Wait longer to wash it the first time, stick with 2 washes a week, max; and find other ways to just wash my real hair; and 2) Be more careful with the blowdryer, and wait longer until I blow-dry (or steam, presumably) the hair for the first time.

Hopefully, that answers your questions, but just let me know if you have any more. (It's a bit hard to get a handle on what this hair is like until you wear it.)
i love plastikhaar
kristinc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kristinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2005 at 4:43pm
Good point!
I lover your reasons and they make sense to me too. I have HH in right now but I got a really bad batch and wear it up so no one can hardly see it. I am looking for some really good HH but may try Synth. I just hate that you can't wash in warm water.
However, still undecided.
Jenny_RR View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny_RR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2005 at 6:04pm
Well, you can wash it in warm, or even hot, water. I do all the time; so does Fina. But the initial wave will last longer if you wash it in cold. Nevertheless, the initial wave will drop eventually no matter what you do, imo, so you'll need to reset it at some point.

A few additional updates since I wrote the postives v. negatives (above): Fortunately, hot rollers work wonderfully for creating everything from a tight curl to a loose wave. I generally wash my hair every other day (and after all, you wouldn't want to wash human extensions more than that really). You can also use a curling iron, but you have to be careful with it; I would recommend curling it when the hair is wet and doing test strands (off the head) beforehand. Ideally, hot rollers would be better.

My synth's been in for over a month, and I'm thrilled I made the switch. But again, it really depends on what you're looking for.

:)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic