Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Liver Spots On Skin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen M. Shelton View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen M. Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Liver Spots On Skin
    Posted: February 22 2003 at 10:19am
Hi all,

I had an email from someone wanting to know about liver spots & I spent some time do a little research....so here it what I found out.

Liver spots are not actually produced by the liver. Actually, there is no connection between the liver and the spots on the face & skin that are known as liver spots. Dermatologists call them lentigo senilis. They are totally bening and they do not in any way indicate skin cancer. Liver spots are a lot like freckles and always flas against the surface of the epidermis. They are most common on skin that has been exposed to the sun and occur most often on Caucasians. They used to only occur on older people but because of tanning and sun worship, they now can occur on people at any age from young to old.

The best way to deal with liver spots is through bleaching agents. The most common agent used is hydroquionone cream sold under different brand names. You can get Hydroquionone in a 2 percent or 4 percent solution. Other products used to treat these spots are kijic acid, azelaic acid and Tretinoin (Retin-A).

Dermatologists can freeze liver spots with a form of cryotherapy. Liver spots are aggravated with prolonged exposure to the sun.

Some people will turn to surgery to have liver spots removed but this is considered more radical and is not recommended for most.

So....now that I have included a brief into into this type of skin condition...which can occur on the face and be treated by dermatologists and plastic surgeons....has anyone found a good treatment for this condition that is over the counter?

I look forward to hearing your opinions, suggestions and experiences with this. I have actually had people in their early 20s email me that they have liver spots from a lot of sun exposure.

Best wishes,
Karen Shelton
shelton@hairboutique.com
http://www.hairboutique.com
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2003 at 9:00am
In the eastern tradition, we use a combination of yoghut, tumeric and lemon juice (some folks add neem or amla) to reduce liver spots and freckles.
These are also beaching/anticeptic agents but are milder than synthesised chemicals. Also, they have been used for generations and our grandmothers skins are testimony to their effectiveness.
Another plus point is their availability and accessability to the general populace.
Uzi

Betsy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2003 at 9:43am
Hi Uzma,

Thank you for the scoop. I have heard good things about Neem Oil but have yet to try it.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2003 at 8:17am
Betsy

I wouldn't go for the Neem oil as it's too strong. See if you can get the Neem powder. I get it really cheaply from an Indian grocers (about 40 cents for a 4oz packet that lasts for ages). Mix it up half a teasponn with water to a light paste, apply to skin and leave until dry (about 15 mins) and then wash off.

Good luck.

Uzma
Uzi

dana073 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dana073 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2003 at 6:04pm
I have freckles on my face & 1 liver spot that I would like to use this combination on. Where would I get "yoghut, tumeric and lemon juice (some folks add neem or amla)"?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic