Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Way To Exfoliate?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Amy Ribera View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amy Ribera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Way To Exfoliate?
    Posted: April 05 2003 at 1:14am
I have been told by just about everyone that I know that it's important to exfoliate 2-3 times a week. Problem is that I just can't find a good one that really works. I am also not sure if I should use a chemical or manual product?

Which one do you all use and reccomend? I can't seem to find a product that will exfoliate well, but not dry out my skin. Also, are there certain ingredients I need to look for?

Thanks in advance.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2003 at 10:57am
I find chemical exfoliants too harsh (my skin is sensitive).
I use one of the following about twice a week.
(1) A gentle, soapy massage with a muslin cloth.
(2) A sea clay mask
(3) A massage with sandalwood powder mixed into a paste with water.

Hope that helps.
Uzi

Lala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2003 at 4:07pm
Where do you find sandalwood powder?
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2003 at 11:05pm
My skin is slightly acne-prone, and it cleared up and I have been left with soft, milky skin ever since I started using 1% beta hydroxy acid. I rarely get excited about products, but this has been a God-send for me! For someone with no acne or prone to breakouts, alpha hydroxy acid is recommended.
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2003 at 1:09pm
I use Lancome products for exfolating. I use Exfoliance Clarte as an exfolating scrub, and Pure Empreinte Masque for my mask. I have combination skin, so I use the products once a week. If I have any acne, I'll put the mask on it overnight.
kab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2003 at 2:08pm
A couple of suggestions--one is to use a little white sugar to exfoliate. Maybe a teaspoon or two mixed with water and rinse away. You will feel the difference immediately. Baking soda works well for problem (blackhead) areas like around the crease of the nose and the dent of the chin--same technique, just mix a little water into paste and apply. Also, you can whir some dry oatmeal in a blender until it is finely ground. Store in a glass jar or plastic tub. Use about a tablespoon mixed with water and massage into skin. Rinse. If you want, you can leave this on until it dries and then rinse off, but only if you have the time and don't mind oatmeal flakes.
LyndaH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 1:21am
a 1% BHA will do the trick
Blah blah chickie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blah blah chickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2003 at 3:56pm
Try using a lemon to exfoliate...I haevn't tried it yet with an actual lemon (just with lemon juice) cuz we don't have any lemons in the house...lol. But i read that u cut up a lemon and rub it on your elbows knees or wherever you need it. the lemon juice worked well too. good luck!
razziberri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razziberri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2003 at 9:57pm
I use st. ives apricot scrub and it actually has helped clear my skin. I don't know why. It also makes my face less oily.
dolphin2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dolphin2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2006 at 4:31pm

Lemon will work to lighten your skin. To exfoliate you need an abrasive
 mix sugar and honey it's great I love it, just get a jar so you can make
 enough I keep mine in my bathroom. It's also inexpensive.

Edited by dolphin2 - July 08 2006 at 4:35pm
wait on the Lord for He is good!
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2006 at 1:29pm
I have a friend who is a cosmetologist. She says no sugar for the face, because the crystals are too sharp and will cause scratches on the delicate facial skin. You won't see it now, but it will catch up with you as you get older. For the face, I found what I think is the best thing ever. Is a pumpkin facial scrub that I get from Lamasbeauty.com. The stuff is amazing. You feel the difference on your skin rigth away. It is so gentle, yet so efective. I used to have to use those nose strips to clear my black heads. But after finding this scrub, I no longer do. My black heads are gone. My skin feels so soft and no more breakouts. I usually wait until they have a sale going on. I subscribed to their newletter, so I always get an email when they are having a sale. Their products are 100% natural and work wonderful.

And for your body, the best scrub ever is olive oil with cornmeal. It exfoliates and moisturizes. And your skin will fill soooo good. My friend the cosmetologist tought me that one, and I'm very greatful. Is natural and inexpensive, and it really works.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic