Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Augh!  Is it possible to get rid of acne scars?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Augh! Is it possible to get rid of acne scars?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Augh! Is it possible to get rid of acne scars?
    Posted: April 11 2003 at 1:29am
For years I always popped my zits and they went away in a couple days.

Now, in my mid-20s, I popped a couple zits and I'm left with these dark scars! They look awful! Is there anything I can do about them?

I bought some scar remover cream. It didn't help much, if at all.
Concealer does cover them for awhile, but that usually wear off after a couple hours. Besides, I'm not much of a makeup person.

What can I do to get rid of these awful dark spots?!?
Please help!
Traci
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2003 at 11:50am
well, if you no longer have active acne, you can use a scrub or AHA to exfoliate the skin and fade the darkness of the scars.
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2003 at 9:34pm
Hmmm. Thanks! Maybe I'll try that.

They do seem to get lighter with time, but it's taking forever!
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 12:13pm
I have that problem too. They will fade but it takes a few weeks. If you use RetinA it will speed up the process I have found.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Blah blah chickie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blah blah chickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2003 at 4:07pm
try Vitamin E capsules. Don't swallow them! just break them open...that can be a bit difficult so i suggest using a pair of junky scissors. anyway break 'em open them rub the goopie stuff on your scars. Leave it on. It may feel gross and pretty sticky but it works...try it on stretchmarks too!
Moonshadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2003 at 9:09pm
I have that problem for the first time, too. If you get alot of breakouts, try BHA to exfoliate- it actually gets into the pore and helps clear it out. I've been using a salicylic acid lotion by Clean and Clear, it works great. And the exfoliation should help get rid of the scar, but it takes a while. I have more acne now (I'm 31- how did that happen?!) than I did as a teenager A friend says now I'm paying for all that nice clear skin I used to have
AmandaLeigh View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmandaLeigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2003 at 9:08am
I've had large, cystic acne for a few years (the kind that you get twice a month, and are really big, and PAINFUL), I've gotten scars from many of them even by not picking at them... and eventually I went on accutane for 6 months, which really helped a lot... but I still have scars from a year and 1/2 ago... they fade, but very very slowly... If you can get to a dermatologist, definately ask for retin-a, tazorac or differin... they are vitamin a based creams specifically for acne, but they do help get rid of scars faster...
meliss551 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meliss551 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2003 at 8:32pm
I've had some scars left from my pimples even though i don't pick them. I use Mederma on them and it works. within a week or so u'll see a difference. The skin gets very dry, almost like it's peeling but if u use a moisturizer u should be fine. I don't know i think i rather have my skin look a little dry for a few weeks then having all those scars cause as time passes they just seem to accumulate.
Viva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2004 at 3:32pm
I have some adult acne problems too, never did as a teen.
Pregnancy hormones don't help with the imbalance either!
I am still looking for something good to help stop breakouts and heal old ones. I have oily/combo skin, olive complexion.
Has anyone tried Oxzit? It is a liquid oxygen that is supposed to help with all of the above. I have seen other oxygen creams for promoting skin healing as well.
I am going to post a thread asking if anyone has tried them.
Also, expensive but really great is MD Gross Alpha Beta Hydroxy at home peel. it is not at all harsh (no peeling involved), and leaves the skin really nice. It helps stop minor breakouts and definately makes the skin tone more even if used regularly.
You might want to try Osmotics brand Blue Copper, also kind of expensive. It helps promote healing and seems to work pretty well.
Let me know if you find anything that really works.
Information is the key to making good decisions - share what you know with others.
tennischick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tennischick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2004 at 9:22pm
use cocoa butter everymorning and night and whenever it gets dry and also vitamin e oil u can get that at ur local drug store it really works well i recently burned my self on a motorcyle(not bad) but i hav been using both and they work well
Mylissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mylissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2004 at 12:26pm
I had great results with Neutrogena Healthy Skin Cream; helped with those vile first signs of aging (at 36) as well as fade two scars from blemishes.
elle100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elle100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2004 at 9:42pm
Acne scars can be helped with a series of PROFESSIONAL microdermabrasion treatments. Microdermabrasion can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, brown spots, and acne scars. Also good for large pores, black and white heads.

Will it get rid of the scar completely? I can't say without seeing your face. If you have deep pitted scars..I would say no.

Make an appointement with a Licensed Esthetican who is certified in doing microdermabrasion. You can ask for a free consultation.

I am reading about the products you all are using. ALL products you can by OTC (over the counter) in department stores or drug stores, by law, can only have approxamately 7% active ingredients. Therefore, they are geared and marketed toward the general public. They can't really help those who have specific skincare concerns.

PROFESSIONAL skincare products..the kind of products you get from a Licensed Esthetician, contain up to 30% active ingredients. Their products are geared to you specific skincare needs.

Make sure you go to a good esthetician who uses PROFESSIONAL skincare products.

elle
Licensed Esthetician/Massage Therapist
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic