Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sensitive Skin?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Josie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sensitive Skin?
    Posted: April 16 2003 at 4:42pm
I sensitive skin that is also combination. I am in my 20s. I am wondering if I should consider Clinique or Lancome's products. I have heard that Clinique can be very harsh for sensitive skin? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 6:15pm
Hi,

Yes. Clinique can be quite harsh for super sensitive skin. I would recommend that you are serious about trying it that you get some very small samples and watch your skin carefully and stop at the first sign of a problem.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 7:34pm
Ditto Karen. And I reccomend, No synthetic fragrance and personally I stay away from petroleum derivatives...like mineral oil and petrolatum...I like botanically based oils.JMO
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2003 at 7:44pm
Hi Sophie,

So good to see you. Great advice.

Geez I would love to be able to even try some of the skin care lines but I am so afraid of what it will do to my Rosacea. I have been known to slather a face mask on my skin that specifically states "safe for sensitive skin" only to wash it off and see masses of new irritation bumps and pre-pimples. YUCK. So when in doubt I never do it.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2003 at 1:32am
Hi Josie

Supersensitive skin? Welcome to the club.

Karen's right, Clinique is too harsh. It stripped my skin and left it red and burning. So much for being hypoallergenic. That's because the manufactures are heavy-handed with chemical exfoliates and fragrance in their products.

Lancome is much better. Very soothing and calming. Not so nice on the pricing front, though.

Have you considered using only natural, food-grade substances on your skin? I would strongly recommend that you try this approach before spending oodles of cash on synthesized cosmetic products.

Uzma
Uzi

turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 2:33pm
uzma, do you have any suggestions or recipes for natural products? thanks:)
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 4:06pm
There are just so many choices, Turquoise Girl, and each individual has to find what is right for them.

All I can do is tell you what works for me and give you some general pointers. There is loads of information on the web.

Firstly, my skin type is dry, sensitive and thin to the point of translucency - you can see my veins in certain parts of my face. I used to have red, mottled patches on my cheeks for years till I gave up "products" and soap.

I wash twice a day with oils and hot water:
Cover face with a 50:50 blend of castor and olive oils. Rub it in gently for 30 seconds. Wash off with hot water and a flannel cloth.

Moisturies with Neal's Yard Jasmine Enriching cream + a couple of drops of Francincense essential oil.

That's my current routine. I have also had excellent results with herbal powders and flower waters.

In the winter, when the cold and wind are doing their damage, I make a face pack of thick dairy cream, egg yolk, honey and rose water. All these ingredients are very soothing to sensitive skin.

In the summer, when I freckle up and overheat, I make a face pack with yoghurt + a few drops of patchouli oil. I put this on my hair, face, neck and chest and sit in the garden. An amusing sight for the neighbour's children - and it scares the birds away, but really great for cooling and calming the skin.

I would recommend Dina Falconi's book "Earthly Bodies and Heavenly Hair" which contains loads of good recipes and suggestions for natural care of skin and hair.
It's been reviewed by Karen (here's the link)
http://www.hairboutique.com/books/bookreview081.htm

Best wishes

Uzma
Uzi

turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2003 at 7:04pm
Thanks Uzma, our skin sounds very similar-dry, sensitive, and you can also see the veins in my face. oh well, the veins are a part of my face and i'm not going to worry myself about it (most people who have transluscent skin goop on makeup but thats just not me.)
I will definitely be checking out that book!:)
Since i've been using jojoba oil as a moisturizer for my face it has gotten a lot smoother, less irritated and with less blemishes(so far!).
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 5:57pm
Quote sensitive skin that is also combination. I am in my 20s. I am wondering if I should consider Clinique or Lancome's products. I have heard that Clinique can be very harsh for sensitive skin? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I don't think either would be good. Clinique is harsh, especially it's astringent, and Lacome has too much perfume and fragrance in some of it's products, which can irritate the skin.

I'm like you, and I use Cetaphil to wash my face, and a mask to take care of blemishes.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic