Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sharing Vaseline?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bratty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bratty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sharing Vaseline?
    Posted: May 14 2003 at 6:00pm
Hi,

My whole family shares the medicine cabinet Vaseline for lips, nails and skin. Now I just read that sharing Vaeline can spread germs? Can that be true?
Firefly Gal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefly Gal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 10:06am
I think you have to be careful of spreading germs, especially cold germs and viruses. At least that is what I would guess from what I have read about sharing things like lip balms or other treatments that might harbor germs.
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 10:10am
I'm just guessing here, but it might be slightly possible. Any amount of germs would build up on something that is handled often. Maybe it's just that everyone's hands has touched the spout (or pump) of the hand lotion, and it isn't too clean. And if everyone's lips are touching the lip moisturizer, that could be bad too.

However, there may be certain things you could do to prevent it. You could just use some alcohol (on a tissue or cotton ball) to wipe the area around the opening of the bottle. I know my lotion bottles always have splotches of the lotion around the rims, who knows how long it's been there. I guess it's just a little maintenance work, a bit like cleaning out makeup or washing makeup brushes to prevent buildup.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 2:56pm
Hi

Germs can be transmitted by touching the bathroom door handle that has previously been touched by someone who is ill.
Yes, basic hygienic practices are important (don't share towels), however I would be more concerned by the application of petroleum jelly (Vaseline or any other brand) on the skin, then by germs.

Why? Read on....

The skin is the largest organ of the human body. It breathes, taking in oxygen and releasing carbon
dioxide. All petrochemicals pollute our water and destroy marine life.
Petroleum and its derivatives are not beneficial ingredients for the general care of your skin.

The refined petroleum used in skincare product sforms a film on the surface of your skin and cannot be absorbed (think of it like liquid Saran Wrap).
It blocks the pores and the skin's natural respiration. Mineral oil may also cause allergic reactions and dryness.

Petroleum jelly forms a heavy film on the surface of your skin.
When your skin perspires and releases water containing salt and chemicals, it aids the liver and kidneys in detoxifying your body. Like mineral oil, petroleum jelly blocks the skin's natural breathing and excretion functions.

Be an informed consumer!!

Uzma

P.S If you do continue to use Vaseline, I suggest you get a tub for your personal use. The original problem is then solved.
Uzi

Bratty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bratty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2003 at 8:25am
Thank you Uzma. I had no idea that Vaseline could block the body's natural need to function. I have a friend who slathers her hands with Vaseline and then puts on gloves. Probably not a good idea in light of all the info you so graciously provided. Thank you very much.

Yes, I am going to think long and hard and probably skip the Vaseline. I am definitely going to now use my own jar if I do continue to use it, which I am definitely going to rethink.

B
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2003 at 6:37pm
Petrolatum and paraffins...add those to the list.

There are some wonderful alternatives to petroleum jelly. Non petroleum...jellys'...Like;

"Un-petroleum" Plant Powered Healthcare.
Adrienne View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrienne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 11:35am
my family does the same thing, i mean i dont know if we spread germs or not i think all the touching, hugging, and kissing we do spreads germs anyway so does it really matter if we share a jar of vaseline??
EvanaJoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvanaJoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 11:31am
My family has shared around colds several times since fall (Yuck!). I already had my own lotion and mouthwash; now I have my own toothpaste, too. We still share some soaps, and computer keyboards and mouses (some people say to wipe them with anti-bacterial wipes after switching users, but I haven't gone that far).

About the best-working product for my hands is petroleum based (it's the baby oil gel, sold by Johnson's and a knockoff by Walmart). However, I'm planning to try pure shea nut butter to see if that works well for me (I've read all sorts of things about it -- that it's hypoallergenic and that quite a few people are allergic to it; that it smells for a few minutes, a few hours, or not at all; etc.).
Rhyse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhyse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2005 at 7:43pm
Yeah what they said, you can never be too careful.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic