Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

At what age should a girl start?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
alp1990 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alp1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: At what age should a girl start?
    Posted: June 08 2003 at 8:34pm
Wondering at what age should girls start using products for their skin and what should they use?

I have an 11 year old who is turning 12 in the summer and I have been wondering if she should start doing anything to maintain that beautiful skin. thanks all!
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2003 at 9:57pm
I started washing my face at about age 11 with Noxema, right after my first period when my skin started to become a tiny bit more oily. I still use Noxema, 26 years later!
[/url]

papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 12:00pm
I actually can't remember when I started paying attention to my skin, it's seems to be my whole life! I think I started using a foaming cleanser when I was around 6 or 7, just at the end of the day.
turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2003 at 11:13am
This greatly varies depending on the person. As for me, i didn't need to start actually washing my face(with a cleanser) until i was about 14 or 15. Before that, I just rinsed with water and my face was fine without oiliness or blemishes. At that same age all of my friends were breaking out horribly from puberty and even though i got my period at 13 it didn't seem to affect my skin until age 17. Now, at age 18, my skin breaks out like that of a young teenager- so it almost seems like my skin problems were delayed.
One thing that i would recommend for any age is protection from the sun- because burns happen so easily when your young and it can lead to cancer later on in life- but remember- it doesn't necessarily have to be sunscreen- it can be hats, scarves, and long sleeves(sunscreen has never kept me from burning no matter how high the SPF and how often i apply it but give me a white tshirt and i can be outside all day without even the slightest tanning or burning.)
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 11:21pm
>>>>Wondering at what age should girls start using products for their skin and what should they use?

At the onset of adolescence, it's my opinion that both boys and girls should begin washing their faces twice a day!

As for specific products, I think that is determined by their individual needs. Cetaphil is a general all-around good cleanser. It doesn't take away moisture, yet it doesn't add moisture. If the child begins experiencing outbreaks of acne (oh, I remember those days...), then some beta hydroxy acid to help exfoliate the skin is beneficial, I think.

From personal experience: if a child has an outbreak of acne and wants to run to the dermatologist, before you spend a minor fortune, make sure that the child is willing to simply wash his face twice a day. Antibiotics will do NO good to a face that is not frequently washed...

During adolescence, oil production is expediated, and the only way to get rid of the oil is to keep the face clean. Of course, one can "over-wash" the face, but I've found that more often is the case that the face is barely washed once a day....if that.
Trillion View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2003 at 8:52pm
I've been using a complete skincare system since I was 14. Beyond Belief cleanser, scrub, eye cream, and oil free moisturizer. BB is great stuff, Ya'll.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic