Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pores

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lil_bee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil_bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pores
    Posted: June 15 2003 at 12:46pm
Can pore size be reduce?

allie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2003 at 5:58am
No, pore size cannot be reduced permanently. An astringent/toner can be used to make them appear smaller.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2003 at 11:53am
I'm no expert, but it's my understanding that BHA (beta hydroxy acid) works underneath the skin to reduce pore size. My pore size has definitely either 1) decreased, or 2) appears to have decreased.

And, of course, different types of surgical/cosmetic procedures can certainly reduce pore size. "Fotofacial" is (I think) the newest dermatological procedure to reduce pores.

If you do a search on the web and read dermatolgical sites, you can gather a lot of information about this.
MEMEE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MEMEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 2:50pm
There is also make up that can minimize the look of your pores. I use Clinique Pore Minimizer foundation and it works great for me. I have very large pores and it makes them barely noticable.
allie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 3:02pm
wow,I must be really out-of-date. lol. Last time I checked (which wasn't too long ago) the actual pore size cannot be reduced with the use of creams/lotions/tonics/whatever. You can minimize the appearance of the size,but it's temporary,I believe. Sometimes when the label of a product says something akin to ' pore b-gone' it's not telling the entire truth as what the product really does. Chemical peeling and even dermabrasion cannot change pore size. Your pore size is inherited. It's like trying to change the size of your nostrils.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 4:27pm
I don’t have an MD, so I claim to be no expert on the subject! And you’re right – the procedures you mentioned are commonly known not to reduce pore size. However, here is what some MDs on the web have said:

"Retin-A's effects take several weeks to months, but clinical benefits include improvement in blotchy pigmentation, smoother texture, decreased pore size, softening, or even resolution of fine wrinkles."

http://www.plastikos.com/art-facesun.htm

"IPL Photorejuvenation treats redness of a vascular origin (including the symptoms of rosacea), the brown-toned pigment of sun damage, while the therapeutic light enery reaches down to the level of the collagen. Skin improves with an even-colored tone, smaller pore size, smoother texture, and a more youthful, rejuvenated look. "

http://www.dermcosmetics.com/IPL.html

And a study that came out in the JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association) last year:

"TAZAROTENE CREAM REDUCES SIGNS OF PHOTODAMAGE TO THE SKIN

'The results from this trial confirm those of previous trials and show that once-daily applications of 0.1% tazarotene cream to photodamaged facial skin for 6 months are significantly more effective than nonmedicated, placebo cream in achieving clinically relevant reductions in fine wrinkling, mottled hyperpigmentation, ... pore size, irregular depigmentation, tactile roughness, coarse wrinkling, and an overall integrated assessment of photodamage,' write the authors."

And, as I previously mentioned, the “fotofacial” apparently is a new procedure. If you’re interested, there is an absolute plethora of information on the web!

Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 4:27pm
Whoops, duplicate post. Sorry. However, I forgot to add the source for my last quote:

http://www.ama-assn.org/sci-pubs/sci-news/2002/snr1118.htm#photodamage

allie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 4:42pm
I just don't buy the smaller pore size claims. I think it's probably impossible unless you get plastic surgery.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic