Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

acne on my arm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kanyewest86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kanyewest86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: acne on my arm
    Posted: July 06 2004 at 5:56pm
For some reason or another I have a lot of bumps on my upper sholder area on both arms. Is this normal. Are they acne bumps?
"Killin y'all niggaz on that lyrical shit
Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push Miracle Whips"

Kanye West (Last Call)
Nelly6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelly6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2004 at 11:58am
I had the same thing, its not acne bumps it's really that your skin is dry. Try using a body wash with salicylic acid such as Neutrogena Body Clear. It should clear up.
Smile it makes you look beautiful!
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2004 at 3:34am
If it's caused by dry skin, wouldn't salicylic acid make it worse rather than better? Whenever I've used acne treatments with it on my face, it's always made it dry.
I know someone with similar bumps on her arms, but she claims it's an allergic rash of some kind. . . which I doubt, because they've been there like forever. . . Would be nice to have a better suggestion to give her than the allergy theory.
More awesome than a manatee!
frizzygurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frizzygurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2004 at 3:47pm
i have this skin condition, it's similar to rosecea and psoraisis. What i have is called Keratosis pilaris and usually occurs on the backs of arms and on your thighs and even your face, on your cheeks. It is aggravated by your skin being dry but there is really no "cure" for it. A dermatolagist can prescribe a topical cream for it that will help and maybe clear it up but that is rare. It is usually hereditary and often flares up during or after pregnancy for a woman. The larger amount of people that have it are women.

Exfoliate regularly with a buff puff or a similar gentle scrub and be sure to moisturize twice daily, at least and no picking! i am very fair and visit tanning beds in the summer to protect myself from being badly burned while on the beach or swimming and noticed that this helps as well as being in the sun. Some people use cortizone cream and this will help but extended use of cortizone cream is not recommended. For special occasiong ex, a wedding, i will use it 5 days in advance to help clear it up a bit.

A suprisingly large number of people have this skin condition. it takes a lot of work to keep it at a minimum, i currently had a bad flare up on my thighs and am having a hard time clearing it up. Am headed to Destin, FL in a month so i start my tanning next week, hopefully this will help. .. .

edited to add that allergies can make it worse but it is not considered an allergic reaction.
CO wash only since September '04! Dyed red botticelli curls (3b), fine and just past shoulder length
frizzygurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frizzygurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2004 at 9:52am
More info on the skin condition:

Keratosis Pilaris is a very common genetic follicular disease manifested by the appearance of rough bumps on the skin. Primarily, it appears on the back and outer sides of the upper arms, but can also occur on thighs and buttocks or any body part except palms or soles. There are several different types of keratosis pilaris, including keratosis pilaris rubra (red, inflamed bumps), alba (rough, bumpy skin with no irritation), rubra faceii (reddish rash on the cheeks) and related disorders.

Most types of keratosis pilaris are evident during childhood, sometimes disappearing, just to come back on the onset of teen years. Some sufferers outgrow symptoms, but others experience KP for many years. Keratosis Pilaris may also appear spontaneously during different stages of life, even if it was never apparent before. Currently, there is no cure, only treatments that help relieve symptoms.

Shower tips - Shower cleansers must be formulated for sensitive skin (little or no surfactant). Surfactants (soaps) work against keratosis pilaris by denaturalizing oils that keep much needed moisture from leaving the skin.

Using a body size buff-puff, nylon shower sponge or body brush with an alpha hydroxy based cleanser, or an acne wash can sometimes diminish the problem. Don't overdo exfoliation as this may cause irritation, specially when applying treatment products after the shower. Try observing how much your skin can handle without overdrying and adjust exfoliation accordingly.

Lotions and creams - Application of lotions or creams is recommended post-shower as skin is in its most receptive state at this time. Also, these will lock up added moisture on the surface of your skin. Remember, hydration of the stratum corneum (upper layer of the skin) is vital for the management of keratosis pilaris.

Strong BHA (salicylic acid) products may have a devascularizing effect on the skin thus, reducing redness. Still, these can irritate and dry up your skin if used for long periods. Salicylate poisoning can also occur if used extensively (especially on children). When using strong BHA's (keralyt/hydrisalic), make sure you are letting skin rest accordingly. Take in consideration that over the counter treatments work differently depending on your skin type. As a rule of thumb, if you notice your skin is starting to feel irritated you should reduce the frequency of application or stop using the product altogether. If irritation occurs when applying "active" creams or lotions after the shower, use a regular moisturizer at that time and apply your "active" products before going to bed and/or morning.

Sun exposure - Sun exposure might improve symptoms temporarily, although it is not recommended by skin care professionals. Everybody knows sun exposure can cause premature aging, the destruction of skin texture, sun spots and skin cancer.

Treatments available to boost your efforts - Professional glycolic and lactic acid peels can be useful in improving stubborn cases. They work by thinning the upper most layer of the skin, the stratum corneum. Microdermabrasion does mechanically what glycolic and lactic acid peels do chemically.

I apologize for this being such a huge amount of info but i spend a long time trying to find out what my condition was (2 of my brothers have this too) and it was a bit frustrating at times.

CO wash only since September '04! Dyed red botticelli curls (3b), fine and just past shoulder length
kanyewest86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kanyewest86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2004 at 3:40am
Thanx for the info everyone!!!
"Killin y'all niggaz on that lyrical shit
Mayonnaise colored Benz, I push Miracle Whips"

Kanye West (Last Call)
dj727 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj727 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2004 at 6:44pm
I have the same prob on both of my upper arms. I went to a dermotologist and he prescribed some lotion that i should apply daily. The name of the lotion is called Lac-Hydrin 12% cream. I've been using it for a couple of months now, it seems it cleared up alittle but not alot. Anyone else used that Lac-Hydrin cream?
Don't Fear the Dark...Fear what's in it!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic