Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

acne scars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
butterfly69 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote butterfly69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: acne scars
    Posted: September 11 2004 at 1:21pm
My fiance has horrible acne scars. They are mostly small holes in his face. He is very self concious about em is there any way to remove them?
tennischick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tennischick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2004 at 4:12pm
use cocoa butter everymorning and night and whenever it gets dry and also vitamin e oil u can get that at ur local drug store it really works well i recently burned my self on a motorcyle(not bad) but i hav been using both and they work well

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2004 at 1:01pm
For acne scars specifically, I used to buy this product by Clean and Clear, the one that says it's Astringent for Acne. It has 2% salicylic acid in it, and if you put some on a cotton ball and wipe your face with it twice a day, the scars go away much faster than they would naturally. It causes the skin to go through a faster replacement cycle because the salicylic acid kills the outer layer every time you use it, so it more quickly replaced by the less scarred skin as newer layers are formed. (Don't worry, you can't see that happening and your skin will not look abnormal!) It may burn your face at first, if your face starts turning red right after you use it, rinse it off with cold water right after use and cut your usage to once a day until your skin adjusts to it. I'd say my scars went away in a couple of months instead of taking years or never going away. This is, of course, providing you aren't breaking out right now and getting new scars.
Tell him good luck!
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2004 at 12:52am
Susan, what exactly is the name of the one you're talkign about? because they have so many. The one I saw has 1% salicylic acid so im guessing thats not it.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2004 at 5:58am
It's made my Johnson and Johnson, called Clean and Clear Deep Cleaning Astringent salicylic acne medication, and you can usually find it in the section with the noxzema and other face washes. I must say my bottle is over a year old, so if you find something called by the same name that only has 1%, that could be how they make it now....I haven't checked recently. It should still work, you could just use it twice as much.

If you do find the 2%, be careful to just use it like I say, because you just want to burn off the outer layer so the skin makes new smooth skin underneath. Swipe your face once with it, twice a day. If you stand there rubbing your face with it for 10 minutes, you will get a very burnt face.

Other options I didn't mention are things a dermatologist can do. They have some new thing they do with lasers to burn off the scars, they used to do something called dermabrasion (don't know if they still do) where they use something rough to rub off the outer layers, and there's the chemical peel where they put 70% glycolic acid on your face to burn off the outer layers. (I've had 2 peels...before I found the astringent....but not the other procedures) All of these things work on the same principle as the astringent I suggested, they just do it faster. After those heavy procedures, you will probably want to stay home for a couple of days because you will have a burnt face, but it will heal to newer less scarred skin.

lost232 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2004 at 6:47pm
Something that works pretty well without totallt KILLING your skin is Aloe Vera. It might not be strong enough for heavy acne scars though...
Beth Snyder View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beth Snyder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2004 at 9:29am
I read this on a forum somewhere and it REALLY works. Get a product called Mederma (you can get it at Wal-Mart). It's about $24 a tube but it last a long time. It is a clear get that you rub on your scars up to 3 times per day. it causes the skin to peel off...it sort of rubs right off. I have used it now for under two weeks and my reddish acne scars are almost gone and a scar I got from a photoderm treatment is getting MUCH lighter. This is also a great product for pigment.

I think that the above product would work alone. I am also using it with a prescription product called TriLuma. It is a mixture of alightner and retin A. I truly think that the the Mederma is really what is working the best though.

Good luck. You can fade them almost to totally not there.
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2004 at 9:37am
How old is your fiance, and does he still get acne?

The best way to remove permanent acne pitting is dermabrasion, a process done by a dermatologist. He should make an appointment to have his skin evaluated.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
MissyT View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissyT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2004 at 5:52pm
I have been using Johnson and Johnson's acne astringent and my scars have not gone away. I do not know what to do. The marks are from picking pimples and stress but they will not go away is there anything I can do for these black marks all over my face. I am African American. Can I cover them up with make-up.
leale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 5:52pm
When I started to use Retin A Micro, I had terrible acne scars. A month into using the product I noticed that my scars were disappearing and my skin tone became more even. I asked my dermatologist was this because of the product and he told me that many people who use this product see a difference in the tone and appearance of their skin. He even said some people use it to reduce fine lines.
leale
TRACY JENKINS View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRACY JENKINS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2004 at 7:31pm
THE MEDS THAT I,M ON FOR MY FACE SEEM NOT TO BE WORKING ITS CALL CLINAC BPO 7 CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE ME A TIP WHAT TO DO NOW. I ALSO HAVE VERY DARK SPOTS IN MY FACE TO EVERY TIME I TRY TO USE SOMETHING ELSE IT BREAK ME OUT BAD.
mark82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 3:35am
cebnn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cebnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2005 at 4:09pm
I tried the clean and clear deep cleaning astringent for sensetive skin, because i dont really ever have a problem with my skin. I do still have a few scars, but i noticed that it was irritating my face, I stoped using it, but my skin became more and more irritated, and a pretty bad dry spot developed. The scars ended up being worse then before and about 50% larger. I just try to stick to a gentle face wash, whitch hazle, and a light moisturizer

Fotki updated on 10/28 address in profile
JenniferL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JenniferL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 1:39am
for scars described as holes definitely need to be treated by a dermatologist. scars such as red marks left by a previous pimple can be treated by astringents containing salicylic acids or glycolic acids to help fade away the marks. but for holes like your husband's, a dermatologist can use dermabrasion (which is a stronger, more aggressive version compared to microdermabrasion) and in conjunction with the lasers and peels could make a dramatic 70-80% improvement. but these procedures are very pricey,  and depending on how important your complexion is to you, or how badly the scars are effecting your self esteem, you'll have to be willing to Spend the money to get the results.
amytmcg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amytmcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 7:21am
I would go to a derm before trying astringent...Ive been going to a derm for 15 years and have acne scars and have never heard astringent could get rid of them..usually you need to have a procedure done such as laser treatment, collagen injections, or other surgical procedures that plastic surgeons perform.  I use retin a micro every night and it does not make my scars dissappear, and ive used it for years.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but for someone who has scarring and sees a derm, i think i could save you the time of trying a bunch of the products that probably wont help with deep scarring, so go to a derm and plastic surgeon, it will save you money and time.
Alyssa_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alyssa_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 1:40pm
Ask your dermatologist about the TCA cross method. If he/she is not familiar with it, request that they research it..it has proven to be very successful for the type of scarring you are describing. You can read about a lot of experiences with it on acne.org messageboards also. 
Kalika View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 7:12am
microdermabrasion
Rhyse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhyse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 7:26pm
I agreee microdermabrasion are the best way to go, I think he would be happy with the outcome..
SkateTillIDie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkateTillIDie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2005 at 4:05am
could some one post post a pic of these acne 'holes'. i dunno if i have them or normal acne scarring. cheers
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic