Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foot Bath/Foot Basin 411

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foot Bath/Foot Basin 411
    Posted: February 23 2003 at 2:17pm
Hi all,

I was laying in bed last night when I realized that there is no instructions anywhere on the site for doing a dish basin aromatherapy foot bath. With all the great recipes from Sophie and Rosemary and others I decided to write some notes.

The basic equipment you need for a foot bath is some type of container that is large and deep enough to allow your feet to fit comfortably and holds enough water to cover your feet up to the ankles. Of course you may want to use something that is deep enough that prevents water from spilling or sloshing out.

I used to use a large porcelein bowl and would heat up water on the stove in the kitchen and carry it to the large bowl wherever it happened to be. Yes, kind of a pain. Now I use a large plastic foot bathtub and keep it in the bathroom and just turn on the bathtub facet and use a large pitcher to catch the water and pour it into the basin.

I also have used the method where you sit on the edge of the tub but I find it awkward. Depending on how tired I am I either want to light some candles (aromatherapy - natch) and just relax. Or I want to read a book. Either case, perching on the edge of the bathtub just isn't all that comfy.

One thing to keep in mind is that the oils will sometimes leave a residue on the bottom of the tub and will need to be cleaned out. The plastic tub is light and easy to clean in the bathtub. Keep in mind if you use either the bathtub or a separate foot bath that oils can make the bottom slippery. Be careful getting in and out.

I always put the basin on top of a thick towel on the floor so that if any water does escape, it keeps from also making the floor slippery. Last thing I need after a relaxing bath is to slip getting in or out. :-)

Begin your foot bath by first washing your feet in a separate water source BEFORE you put them in your foot bath. Essential oils should always be added to your foot bath just before you put your feet in.

Generally speaking a total of 8-14 drops is usually enough although in some special cases you may be using a recipe that calls for as many as 15 drops of a variety of oils. Use your own judgement on what works for you.

Gentle swish the water with your hand after you apply the oils to the water to make sure that everything gets mixed well.

I always use warm water. Not too hot or not too cold. While cold water is great for swollen feet, it is not recommended for a relaxing soak.

Add soft music, candles or other relaxation tools. Or if you prefer, watch TV while you soak or read.

Keep clean towels or warm wooly socks nearby so you can wrap your feet up immediately after you remove them.

Soak your feet as long as desired or until the water cools off. If you need a longer soak ask a loved one to pour some new heated water into the tub to keep the water at a warmer temp.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2003 at 4:13pm
Hhmmm...Sounds wonderful.
catelea View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catelea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2003 at 4:53pm
Have you tried sitting on a chair outside the tub and soak your feet that way???
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic