Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aromas For Eye Sty?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Denise Manning View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denise Manning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aromas For Eye Sty?
    Posted: May 05 2003 at 6:04pm
My boyfriend has a sty on his eye. The doctor told us to apply a warm wet piece of gauze to the area for several minutes every 4-6 hours. He also has a sty cream he is supposed to use to help the sty open and drain.

I heard that women can get stys from eye makeup and the bacteria in mascara. I did not know that men could get them. The eye doctor said it was from bacteria that was transfered possibly from rubbing my boyfriend''s eye.

Does anyone have ideas for an aromatherapy formula for stys? Would enhaling something help? There is no pain but it looks terrible.

Thanks in advance.
Denise
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2003 at 6:29pm
Hi Denise

Essential oils must NEVER be used on or near the eyes and ocular membranes.

Instead, try bathing the are in herbal infusions of one of the following:

* Cammomile
* Elderflower
* Eyebright

To make the infusion, put a teaspoon of the selected herb into an earthenware/china/glass bowl and add a cup of boiling water. Let it cool.
Strain out the herbs and bathe the eye in the infusion 3 times a day.
Alternatively, you can soak a piece of clean muslin or a cotton wool ball in the solution and use as a compress instead.

Infusions of the above herbs will soothe the irritation and heal the stye quicker.

BTW, make sure all the equipment you use to make and apply the infusion is absolutely sterile, otherwise you will re-infect the eye.

And I reiterate - please do not let any eo near the eye. It is harmful. If eo does come into contact with the eye, do not try to rinse it out with water.
It will make things worse.
You will have to dilute the eo in the eye with a neutral base oil immediately and then contact your medical professionals.

Hope that helps.

Uzma

Uzi

Denise Manning View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denise Manning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2003 at 4:45pm
Dear Uzma,

Thank you so much for your advice. I will be very careful and not use anything near his eyes other than what you suggested with the washes. Thank you again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic