Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strawberry Aroma Benefits?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MaggieMay View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaggieMay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strawberry Aroma Benefits?
    Posted: May 15 2003 at 11:34am
Hi,

I have been reading a lot about strawberry treatments for skin, hair and nails but does strawberry essence have a known beneficial effect like for example vanilla?
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 12:27pm
Hi,

Well Uzma and Sophie and many others are much more knowledgeable then I am about the aromatherapy benefits but I will give what my notebook says as a starting point:

Strawberry aroma is thought to help alleviate depression and guilt and bring joy and love of life. It is also has been associated with "self-love" and has been linked by some to free love from the Hippie era as well as unconditional love.

This is an interesting topic because I have my own very significant memories of strawberry. Please allow me to expound here......

In high school and through early college I had a heart stopping crush on a guy that was not all that interested (or so it seemed). However, by early college he seemed to be changing his interest levels and he was my date at a winter formal college dance. He brought me red roses AND a giant strawberry candle that was all wrapped up as a gift. I was overwhelmed and touched by the grand gesture. He told me to think of him when I burnt the candle. Of course I rarely burnt the candle because I didn't want it to burn down. :-) We eventually went our separate ways but to this day when I smell, see ordo anything with strawberries I think of Tom and that magnficient strawberry candle he bought for me :-)

Sorry this is so long but it stirred up memories.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 2:28pm
Hello MaggieMay and Karen

Indeed, the strawberry is a fruit of love and a reputed aphrodisiac for maidens.

The best variety is the wild or wood strawberry (Fragaria Vesca).

I too have pleasant associations with this little red wonder.
Of eating tiny local wild strawberries that topped a pancetta dessert in the Roman Hills (Castelli Romani area, Italy). The restaurant was perched high on a hill.
Below me was Lago di Nemi (Lake Nemi). It was dusk and the restaraunteur had lit small fires in clay pots and scattered them between the flowers on the terrace where we were eating.
The smoke of the fires, the fragrance of the woods and the lake, the intense flavour of wild strawberries……….

STRAWBERRY FRUIT

Applied topically:

Tones and whitens the skin
Combats wrinkles
Lightens freckles
Gentle exfoliant
Soothes sunburn

Taken internally:

High in iron, potassium and salts > excellent for anemia as iron is present in a highly bio-available form
Clears hoarseness of the voice > good for singers and orators
Purifies blood
Lubricate the lungs
Strengthen the spleen
Relief from alcohol hangovers
Eliminative > good for cleansing the digestive tract (de-tox)
Helps mouth ulcers and infections to heal quickly
Progessive relief for rheumatism and gout

STRAWBERRY LEAVES AND ROOT

Applied topically:
Decoction applied externally heals chillblains

Taken internally:
Astringent effect inside the body> good for diarrhorea and chronic dysentry
Used as a gargle to relieve sore throats (tea)

Hope that helps.

Uzma
Uzi

uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2003 at 2:33pm
P.S. Be very wary of purchasing strawberry "essence" or essential oil.
The benefits of the fruit, leaf and root are not transferred when extracted by solvents or cold-pressed as they are very subtle, with a short shelf life and no guarantee of being therapeautically active.

Suggest you stick with the real, fresh fruit and plant.
Uzi

Constance View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Constance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2003 at 8:21am
Wow. Uzma you are awesome. Thank you so much for all the info. You know as I was reading all the good things about strawberries my first thought was to see if I could buy some strawberry oil. However, I then read your caveat at the end about taking the fruit and whew, glad I saw that.

Thank you again and thanks for a great topic. I learn so much here on a daily basis. :-)

Constance
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2003 at 3:31pm
You are most welcome, Constance.

When strawberries are cheaply available at the end of the season, I make the following as a face pack for my dry/sensitive skin. Enjoy.

STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM FACIAL TREAT

5 large, very ripe strawberries
I teaspoon extra thick double cream
2 drops Rosa Centifola essential oil

Mash the strawberries in an earthenware bowl.
Mix in the cream and Rose eo.
Apply to freshly washed face and neck.
Leave for 15-30 minutes and then rinse off.

You are left with moisturised skin and a lovely glow.
Uzi

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2003 at 7:05pm
I love it! ummm...It's that time of year too.

Great Info Uzma, as usual.

Here's another fun one.

Strawberry Foot Exfoliate

Strawberries contain a lot of water, so
over blending will make this exfoliative too liquid.
To use, massage into feet, rinse and dry off.

8 strawberries, lightly mashed
3 tablespoons of kosher salt
2 tablespoons olive oil

Make exfoliative; Combine all ingredients
In a small bowl and mix until just
combined. Use immediately.

Cheers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic