Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best aromatherapic oils for hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tódia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tódia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best aromatherapic oils for hair
    Posted: July 08 2003 at 1:37pm
Hello everyone!
i was just wondering what are the best aromatherapic oils for hair and how do they work?
Annette
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2003 at 11:51am
Hello Annette

There are many aromatherapy oils that have effects on hair....it depends what you are looking for.

Growth
Condition
Shine
Dandruff
Sebum regulation

........let me know what you're after and I'll get my books out .
Uzi

Tódia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tódia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 4:15am
i`m looking for growth, shine and condition...
Annette
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 12:18pm
For growth: Basil and Rosemary
Dilute 2 drops of each in a tablespoon of carrier oil (avocado, jojoba...whatever your preference). Section hair and apply oil directly to the scalp.
You can either put a little on every night, or apply a heavier coating on the night before your wash your hair.

For shine: Sandalwood
Add 3 drops to a pea-sized amount of Phyto 9....or to any other leave-in conditioner.
Apply all over length of hair using downward strokes and comb or brush as usual.

For condition: Geranium, Patchouli or Frankincense
Use 5-10 drops mixed into a commercial deep conditioner of your choice. Or, if you are into a heavy pre-wash oiling (as I am) then add some or all of these to a 50ml bottle of base oil (I prefer coconut oil). Shake and use liberally.

Have fun .
Uzi

Tódia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tódia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 9:59am
thank you so much, uzma!! you are so kind!
Annette
Tap Dancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tap Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2003 at 3:48pm
I really appreciate the info! I bought Avocado Oil, Rosemary, and Basil. I plan to start using my oils tonight!
[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/yerdumm/tapdancer2.gif" />
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2003 at 6:12pm
mmmmmm....that's going to feel and smell great. Let us know how it goes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tap Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2003 at 8:02am
My hair is oily and gross this morning. I didn't even use a lot last night. Does anyone else have this problem?
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2003 at 3:55pm
Did you shampoo it out?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tap Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2003 at 11:57am
No, I didn't. I thought you were supposed to leave it on and wash it the next day. Oops. How long should I leave oils in my hair before washing?
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2003 at 6:00pm
I guess you can leave it on all night...be sure to give yourself a great scalp massage as long as your going to do it.

But I would think it would really have to be shampooed until it is out of your hair. It's most likely going to take a lot of shampoo...wash it twice. But you have to get the oil out and off of your scalp.

What do you say Uz?
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2003 at 4:22am
Wash it gentle. Don't over-wash and strip the hair of oil, though as that would be undoing the good work.

It takes time to work out how much oil to use for your personal needs, so do experiment with quantity and location (ends only, hair only, scalp and hair, etc).

Uzi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tap Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2003 at 6:56am
Thank you both for the advice!
aseya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aseya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 10:10am
My aromatherapy teacher was the best. She would give us recipes and our 'homework' would be to go home and try them out and see how we feel.
Anyway on a Thursday we'd go in and (there were only 5 students) and we'd all put some oil in our hair. We usually used Rosemary, Lavender and Jasmine. And our teacher told us to lather some shampoo in it before we wet it to get it out. I find that if you wet your hair a little bit then use the shampoo it comes out easier.

Also by the end of the course people kept commenting on how shiny my hair was (despite it being completely over processed!)
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 6:52pm
how bout ylang ylang?
angeleyeslady View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angeleyeslady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2005 at 12:57pm
thanks uzman
AngelEyes supports SIGHTSAVERS CHARITY
gunnie71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunnie71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 3:04am

I've been known to use (a carrier oil)Grapeseed oil, about two tablespoons, with about 5or 6 drops(your choice) of Lavender Aromatherapy oil. Then I'd rub them together and massage it into my scalp, and hair. Sometimes sleep on it, or leave in for an hour, take a shower and wash hair as usual. My nerves were calmed, and my hair grew faster(or at least it seemed) and I felt better. I did that ritual alot back in the day( about 5 years ago). I'm still into Aromatherapy, just not seriously anymore,....I'm too busy to care to be honest!

I'd rather Live my Life to the Fullest, with God in my Life. Also, My Fiance' Steve, and all Family, Friends, including Strangers who need my help as well.

Bye for now, take care and God Bless You!

Katie ;)
NaturalBeauty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaturalBeauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 9:52am
I love ylang ylang for my hair I have read that it also promotes groth and body in the hair.  I find also tht if you wash your hair before you wet it your hair wont be greasy.  infused carrier oils with herbs are aslo great for your hair they will boost the effectiveness of the essential oils. rosemary, henna, sage, parsley are all good for hair.
let your beauty be natural!!
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 12:52pm

Originally posted by NaturalBeauty NaturalBeauty wrote:

I love ylang ylang for my hair I have read that it also promotes groth and body in the hair.  I find also tht if you wash your hair before you wet it your hair wont be greasy.  infused carrier oils with herbs are aslo great for your hair they will boost the effectiveness of the essential oils. rosemary, henna, sage, parsley are all good for hair.

Ylang Ylang is one of my favorite oils in general because I adore the aroma.  I have a couple of hair oils that I have been using for 10 years that I have created over time for hair health and growth.  I find that Ylang Ylang is beneficial for the relaxation that it provides.  A healthy scalp needs to receive blood flow and if the scalp is tight from tension or stress, it will be less able to receive all those wonderful nutrients from the blood stream.

One of my custom "Karen's Hair Oils" has ylang ylang to help with relaxation.  By itself I do not find it has as much benefit for hair growth and health.  But again, it smells fabulous.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic