Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fashion Don'ts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Maura View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fashion Don'ts
    Posted: June 11 2003 at 3:27pm
on other Fashion boards I have visited (aol) they have a fashion don't board. I have always found this to be the most interesting. So what are your fashion don'ts?
A couple of mine:
-those baby tees that say "princess" or "angel" etc.
-waay to tight pants
-anything Christina Aguleria wears
-sweatsuits
-one shoulder tops
-fried hair
-neon colors

ok that is all I can think of for now.
-Maura
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2003 at 10:16pm
Hose with open toe shoes.
slouch socks
Black pumps with a "spring dress"
Un polished toe nails on open toe shoes
Dry cracked heals with sandels (YUCK)
Half polished nails.

Great topic!!!
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 7:04am
Black and navy together. That's obvious.
Any item with glitter on it (if you're 18 or older.)
Miniskirts with 4-inch stilettos.
Sweatshirts worn inside out! That was huge in middle school but thankfully I think it's died out.
The obscenely long fake nails that extend an inch past the fingertips. How can you do ANYTHING with those on?
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 7:54am
White before Easter or after Labor Day (call me old fashioned and southern)

Braless (with a few very flat-chested exceptions)

Thongs that show

Super tight clothes

Lots of necklaces worn at the same time

Spike heels with shorts

Nail polish that is wearing off

Long toenails

Unzipped shorts with the waistband turned down (a la Mariah Carey) -- real trashy

Real fur

Clothes that are dirty or smelly

"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Isla Q. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isla Q. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 8:16am
glasses that are too big for the face they're on

shoes that need to be polished

anything with an animal print

shapeless, baggy, oversized t-shirts
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 1:29pm
How about wearing black and brown together? Some people that doesn't bother them, but it drives me nuts! Brown shoes with black pants or vice versa? Yuck!
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2003 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by SuperGrover SuperGrover wrote:

How about wearing black and brown together? Some people that doesn't bother them, but it drives me nuts! Brown shoes with black pants or vice versa? Yuck!

i think brown and black can look fine if you do it right. i wore brown pants and a black tank top. my shoes had black and brown in them. jenifer aniston wears brown and black on ''friends''.well she did a couple years back. i think it depends also on the shade of brown.
Maura View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2003 at 2:29pm
Some more of my don'ts

-White Eyeliner
-Dark lipliner and light lipstick
-socks and sandals
-orange tanning booth tans
-jeans that have "decorations" (glitter, flowers etc)
-those new jeans that have the white areas on the thigh
-stockings under pants
ok that's all
-Maura
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2003 at 3:38pm
I have to agree with SG on black and brown. I have two pairs of heeled Tommy loafers, one black, one brown and identical in every other way. I wear them all the time. Last week I (literally) dressed in the dark and ended up wearing the black pair with brown pants. It bugged me all day.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2003 at 9:12pm
Banana Clips,

For goodness sakes...throw them out!!!!!
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Isla Q. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isla Q. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2003 at 4:37am
Originally posted by Maura Maura wrote:

-those new jeans that have the white areas on the thigh

Yes, yes, yes!!! Oh, I really hate those jeans. I have an aversion to 'trendy' things to begin with, but most of the time these jeans are very unflattering too. They have the white parts on typical problem areas like thighs and buttocks!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2003 at 7:04am
Those ARE awful! Why waste perfectly good jeans? I understand that the trend is to buy clothes that already look five years old (American Eagle, anyone?) but if I want tattered, faded jeans I'll give them to my cat.
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2003 at 11:04am
underwear sticking out
heels with shorts
too-large clothes
go braless
capris with socks showing
pajamas when attending class
really short shorts - ie less than a 3 inch inseam
Gally3d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gally3d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2003 at 5:34pm
I think the novelty of faded Jeans is the same that attracts us to antiques. You kind of have to live in an environment where they fit in.

For example I live in rural CT right now. Everything is very old & faded, so I pick out clothes that are purposefully a little muted & faded. It makes me look like I was born right from the earth so-to-speak. ;) I can see though how this would not work in, say, downtown NYC. lol
Gally3d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gally3d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2003 at 5:44pm
BTW, if you have a sensitive eye you can create a perfect style guide for yourself by taking cues from the area you live in. I don't believe in fashion do's and dont's. If the clothes you pick out make you look amazing & fit in well with your environment you can't go wrong. (allthough if you have a very good eye you can sometimes pick clothes specifically to stand out in your environment)
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2003 at 7:58pm
OMG, I walked a few blocks yesterday evening behind a gal who was wearing fishnet hose with cheap foam slides. YUCK! She was the very picture of tacky. She was wearing a black goth dress that was at least 2 sizes to small to boot.

She was holding hands with a guy that seemed quite normal and sweet. He must need glasses.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
3katz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3katz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2003 at 5:37pm
I agree with most of the above and now here are my personal peeves. I get so tired of seeing everyone around here (South Bend, IN) in NASCAR and Notre Dame clothing! It's everywhere! I don't have a problem if it's game day or race day, but some woman actually wore a ND jersey and jeans to a wedding we attended a couple of weeks ago! It was an outdoor wedding, but jeez, couldn't they borrow something for the day?

Jean
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2003 at 9:40pm
I agree with Gally 2nd post. If you live in an area that has never heard of Jimmy Choos and you fork over the $500 for them, and no one notices even if you tell them and they have that lost look in their eyes, then whats the use.
Its like the saying "If a tree falls in the forest and no one saw it, did it really fall?"
VBallChicka09 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VBallChicka09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2004 at 8:04pm
Some people are fine with some of the fashion don'ts u have mentioned. I'm fine with these 3:

1. Hose and opened toed shoes

2. Unpolished nails and open toed shoes~So what if they didn't paint their nails? I never usually paint my nails, and I wear open toed shoes all the time!

3.Light lipstick/lipgloss~Just as long as it makes your lips shiny!

~*I have no job, I have no car, I have no money, but, I'm cute!*~
Captain Japonica View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Japonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2004 at 12:46pm
Black shoes with a brown or white outfit

Brown shoes with a black outfit.

Bright red lipstick on a ruddy complected person

Olive skin with blonde hair.

short shorts

Fat people in tube tops

tight pants on men

Speedos. Yuck. I don't care if your Ashton Kutcher, NOOOOOO SPEEEEDOOOOOO!

Thongs showing through the back of ones pants

Perms.

body glitter if your over 14

Burnt Orange. Yes, I know it's a color, I know you can by burnt orange clothing, but burnt orange is a color that NO HUMAN should EVER wear.

Fishnets with flip-flops(yes, I have actually seen this)

white pants.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic