Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Too much jewelry?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Too much jewelry?
    Posted: June 19 2003 at 11:07pm
I guess I am hardly one to talk on this subject since I usually wear a pair of earrings-(sometimes more earrings than that)-, a small nosestud in each nostril and usually a necklace, but is there such a thing as wearing too much jewelry?

I see some women,-(usually younger gals)- with so many piercings and so much jewelry on !!!.....

..... I'm sure you have seen women with not only the usual earrings and nosering but also pierced eyebrows, assorted other facial piercings, numerous earrings all the way up their ear,-(.....and I can imagine piercings elsewhere in hidden places!)-,

...and of course some women really over do it with numerous bracelets and necklaces,-(my mom sometimes did that)-.

.....Of course some of these same women have numerous tattoos also-(my dear mother once again, bless her audacious heart! Tee hee!)-.

.....Too much makeup or strange makeup too sometimes to go with all of this jewelry!

Like I said, I'm not condemning this, and who am I to judge?, ...but is there a point where it is just too much jewelry? It begans to look a little silly or trashy or perhaps too flashy, self-promoting, or ridiculous? Or am I off base on this one?

I'm interested in knowing others opinions on this.
tina
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2003 at 11:37pm
i agree tina. sometimes it's just to much! i don't like the pierce eyebrow or lip just in my opinion for me i wouldn't pierce my nose for the fact i think my nose is to long! i use to do nose exercises to try to push it up LOL! so why would i want to draw more attention to my nose? i like it on other people though like my cousin in fact i think she looks odd without it! i don't like it pierce through septum. it makes people look like a bull.
Isla Q. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isla Q. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2003 at 4:40am
I think there is such a thing as wearing too much jewelry. I definitely believe in the 'less is more' concept here.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2003 at 10:02am
I am into understated and elegant but that is just my opinion. I am old enough to think all that face piercing (and other places) is bizarre and extremely unattractive. It makes me shudder to think of it much less look at someone wearing all that stuff. But then my parents thought boys with shoulder length hair was just the end of the world. To each his own is what I guess I am saying.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2003 at 11:01am
know what else i think is to much in jewelery? to many rings on fingers! on ''friends'' phobie wears a lot of rings. it drives me crazy! i think it is to much.
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2003 at 8:10pm
LOL I used to wear a ring on every finger when I was in high school.

But I agree, too much jewelry is just retro.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2003 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by SuperGrover SuperGrover wrote:

LOL I used to wear a ring on every finger when I was in high school.

But I agree, too much jewelry is just retro.

it looks ok if the rings are more plain. my godmother and older cousin wear big diamonds on all there fingers. it's just to much i think. but what do i know? i don't own one diamond ring.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2003 at 1:16am
Quote onica wrote:
"i don't like it pierce through septum. it makes people look like a bull."

ROTFLMAO

Well, I fell of my chair I was laughing so hard.

You are so right, Monica. It just makes me want to "moo" at people who have their nose pierced in that manner.

Sorry - just my opinion and personal craziness.
Uzi

tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2003 at 6:44pm
Exactly Monica and Uzma.

That is why I have my nostrils, not my septum pierced, -(although I think a small slender septum ring doesn't look that bad, more the big clunky rings make you look like a bull.)-
Nose jewelry has to be done right or don't bother.
tina
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2003 at 8:21am
Like Demo, I too prefer elegant and understated. For years now, I have worn only one ring on each hand, a small necklace or chain, one bracelet (or two very thin chain bracelets), smallish earrings and a watch.

But when I was a teen and in my early twenties, I wore several gold necklaces in progressive lengths (hey, I grew up in NYC, whaddaya want?????) and a million bracelets and three rings on each hand. And big gold earrings. That all went well with my big hair!

As far as all of the piercings and tattoos, personally they yuck me out but all generations of teens had their fashion expressions that yucked out their elders. In the fifties, it was pompadours, leather jackets, and jeans! In the sixties, first it was mod fashion, later, long hair. In the seventies, it was long hair, afros, colorful clothes with wild prints, and feathers. In the eighties, it was punk style clothes and hair, dog collars, and safety pins. In the 90's it was grunge. There will always be some form of youth fashion expression.

I think the piercings are particularly weird, but that's only because I'm getting old. When it's my kid, well, we'll see how well I handle it.

Elissa
[/url]

Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2003 at 2:34pm
I'd be one of those jewelry junkies, but I think it's just the younger generation thing. I don't have any piercings but my ears, though I aspire for a nose (nostril... no cow look for me) piercing. I like to wear a lot of rings and necklaces... sometimes bracelets, too, but those bug me.

I see people my age do it all the time, but I never really give it a second thought.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 5:37pm
I know what you mean about bracelets, I only sometimes wear them.
I don't care for rings on my fingers either.
I like earrings, nostril studs-(and sometimes rings)- and a nice necklace, that is about it. No strange piercings in unmentionable areas either.

Jane I don't know how old you are but having a nostril pierced isn't just for young women. I have seen plenty of middle aged women with a nosestud or nosering as well. It is a fairly common fashion these days.

Wear a nosestud or nosering if you like Jane!
tina
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 6:02pm
I only have my ears pierced. Once on the left ear and twice on the right.

But I love piercings on guys...well some guys.
I like the eyebrow piercing with a thick silver hoop through it...oooo that does things to me just thinking about it .

Also like other...ahem... parts of a guy's body to be pierced, to enhance the pleasure potential for himself and his partner.

Some of the jewellery now available for non-trad piercings is very lovely and sexy.
Uzi

tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 6:18pm
Uzma, you and I are following each other around today on the various boards-(tee hee!)-.

Uzma, you naughty girl!!! You like men pierced in "unmentionable" places!!!!-(tee hee hee!!!)- You are worse than I am!

What a minute Uzma, who is the ex "working girl" here! You are stealing my thunder as the "bad girl" on Hair Talk Forum!

Pierced eyebrows Uzma? You really are kinky. I like an earring on a guy but that is about it!
tina
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2003 at 12:35am
Yeah, sure, I've been known to wear way too much. In high school I wore rings on every finger of at least one hand, and sometimes two, and at the time wore a lot of really big earrings. In junior high I used to wear lots of bangles that would jingle and clank, so the teachers would make me take them off. In recent years I've been wearing a lot of necklaces, but they've been things like zodiac necklaces, runes, charms, things like that mostly. Now, though, I seldom wear rings anymore, maybe one or two bracelets with special meaning, I think three necklaces with special meanings, currently. . . most days. . . and I usually wear earrings in all my holes (three in the left, one in the right), which are usually lots smaller than the earrings I used to wear. *shrugs* So even though I still wear too much, I am getting better, and definitely not as tacky as I was in school.
As body piercings and tattoos go, I don't mind them in moderation (smaller, more attractive jewellery or tattoo designs, more discreet tattoo placements, not too many of either), but I don't have any of either, myself. Once in a while I consider a belly ring, but I'd have to lose my belly first, or it would look weird :-P . . . and the tattoo designs I've considered, well, I'd probably try to decide on one or two that mean something special to me, and make sure to place them well, so they can be hidden when necessary. I don't wanna do anything I'd regret in ten or twenty years, you know?
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2003 at 11:03am
Kuroneko! Does your name have anything to do with a cat? My husband is really into anime and Japanese culture and we call our cats nekos. Neko is much more fun to say than cat.
We had a cat for a couple weeks that we named Aiko, which is Japanese for love. She was very loving. We always called her Aiko Neko!
We still see her from time to time. She turned out to belong to the neighbors and we gave her back! (It's a long story.)

I love your new icon, Monica!

Ahem... It seems to me that wearing a lot of jewelry is either for the very old or very young. You need to be younger than 18 or older than 60 to pull it off, no? (I don't mean to say that 60 is very old, but you know what I mean, right?)
Now seeing someone over 60 with a lot of piercings, THAT would be funny.

Uzi and Tina, are you speaking from experience or just fantasizing? I should think that would hurt!
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2003 at 4:32pm
Ahhhhh great topic. I love lots of accesories and with a warehouse full of hair accessories (we literally have thousands at this point) I am buying hair accessories by the boatload. You know how some people love pens? I love barrettes. I will wear anywhere from 1 to 6 at any one time. Probably excessive. LOL.

As far as bracelets. I used to wear them all the time and was known for my gold ones. But then they would clank against the keyboard when I tried to type and I would get annoyed. I also used to wear a watch but same thing.

When I was younger in my pre-workaholic days, I loved to wear diamonds and other rings. Now even if someone gave me a diamond the size of a Hope diamond I wouldn't wear it because it also gets in the way of typing.

Other than hair accessories I don't wear any other jewelry or accessories, even though my ears are pierced and I used to like large gold hoops. However, they would get caught in my hair so I gave up on them too.

Just call me Karen - Many Barrettes - Shelton
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2003 at 6:20pm
Ah .... Karen! A girl has to have her earrings! You don't need to wear big hoops, although they can look great on a long or short haired lady. Maybe some slender drop earrings that dangle down and won't get caught in your hair or some small attractive studs-(Diamond studs that glitter maybe?)-.
I have to wear my earrings, I love them!!!
tina
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2003 at 7:08pm
Hi Tina,

Actually I am a bit of a klutz when it comes to keeping track of things. I have this habit of losing just about everything. So for me to wear diamond studs would be scary. LOL. Yes, I agree earrings are nice and I should definitely get some out of the jewelry boxes. Maybe I will. You have inspired me. :-)

Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2003 at 12:13pm
thank you suergrover! i like my new icon too. i was able to do it all by myself
i felt really smart LOL!

one piercing i have to admit, on guys i like the nipple pierced. my husband won't go for it thought. i tease him and said he could get his private pierce. he was like noway! LOL

karen you crack me up with your posts!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic