Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Basic Fashion Rules

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Basic Fashion Rules
    Posted: August 18 2003 at 7:54am
Shall we start our own list? I'll begin. Add your own fashion rule and we'll see how far we get.

1.) Never buy a sweater if you absolutely hate the color--even if it's on clearance for $2.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2003 at 10:13am
don't were two patterns together! like plaid and stripes.
Philo View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2003 at 12:11pm
Very FEW look flattering in tapered/peg-leg pants. Unless you have legs like pencils, consider another style of pants.
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2003 at 12:18pm
Philo, that is SO true! Yet cheap suits seem to ONLY have tapered pants..ugh.

4.) According to Carrie Bradshaw, hair scrunchies are beyond passé. And don't even THINK about wearing one around your wrist or to tie the side of your shirt!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Cranberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cranberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2003 at 2:35pm
Another 80's nightmare, do NOT wear pumps (or sandals) with socks. It makes me cringe thinking of strappy sandals paired with cotton crew socks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2003 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Lyris Lyris wrote:

4.) According to Carrie Bradshaw, hair scrunchies are beyond passé. And don't even THINK about wearing one around your wrist or to tie the side of your shirt!

i was a little mad with that episode! i still wear scrunchies! this is coming from the girl who had 20 bobbypins in her hair for the look! and her roots always show.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2003 at 9:46pm
Never wear low rider jeans that show your belly unless you have a perfectly flat stomach and/or are under 21 years of age.

I am so tired of seeing girls wearing these with a pouch of belly hanging out. Its especially bad when you see someone almost 40 wearing them to the office with pouch and all hanging out.....eewwww.

P.s. Have you seen the fall styles? They all have tapered legs. I don;t think they will make a strong comeback.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2003 at 7:11am
Monica, I sense some bitterness :-) Are you a regular SATC watcher? I just recently watched a few episodes...not thrilled with it but it's mildly amusing!

LiliBeach...tapered legs?!?!?!! No!!!! Please, let it be anything but that!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2003 at 11:07am

Monica, I sense some bitterness :-) Are you a regular SATC watcher? I just recently watched a few episodes...not thrilled with it but it's mildly amusing!

LOL! yes you sense my bitterness i have watch ''sex in the city'' for years. i think it's time for it to end before it gets to old. espescially now they put down scruchies seriously i can't believe some of the clothes ''carie'' wears! last week she had an awful dress on. it showed all her bra in the back!
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2003 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by LiliBeach LiliBeach wrote:

Never wear low rider jeans that show your belly unless you have a perfectly flat stomach and/or are under 21 years of age.

I am so tired of seeing girls wearing these with a pouch of belly hanging out. Its especially bad when you see someone almost 40 wearing them to the office with pouch and all hanging out.....eewwww.

Oh LiliBeach I so agree. My former roommate's new roommate wore shirts 2 sizes too small, and she had eczema on her belly... and it was all stretched out from having had 3 kids. Come on! Did she never look in a mirror? Come to think of it, I don't believe their apartment had any full length ones. I should have bought them one as a gift to my friend! LOL I don't know how she ate in front of that thing... The Belly.

Oh, I'm supposed to add a new rule.
Oh I know!

7) Please do not wear black and brown together! In some rare instances this is OK, but 99% of the time, brown shoes with black pants look awful! And don't even think about wearing a brown sweater with black pants! *hair stands up on Traci's arm*
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2003 at 4:01pm
it was a start on another thread bt i'm adding it agaain showing bra straps! i saw this one girl wearing a tank where it has just a strap on one side. kind of halter tank top combo. on the other side you could see all her bra strap! the comment on ow riders can't resist sharing. in ''people'' there's a picture of britney spears bending over and you can see her butt crack! tacky tacky!
crazzzycait View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazzzycait Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2003 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Cranberry Cranberry wrote:

It makes me cringe thinking of strappy sandals paired with cotton crew socks.

We soccer girls wear below the ankle socks or soccer socks with Adidas sandals every day ..it looks weird but it really helps our feet 'n ankles.

Oops I forgot my fashion rule..hmm..if you're going to wear those white basically see-thru tight tight pants..WEAR A THONG..do NOT wear granny panties..

Ok thats just a teenage opinion
escucha el ritmo de tu corazon...te amo. <3 caiter tot
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2003 at 2:07pm
Cait, speaking of granny undies, did you see Bridget Jones' Diary? What a RIOT!

12.) (I have no idea what number we're on) Don't wear navy and black together! This tag-teams off of Traci's comment on black pants and brown shoes (utterly true, too!) As obvious as this seems, I see so many men at my company in black shoes and navy pants. This ensemble would be much improved by some brown or cordovan shoes. Yee-gods!
Cranberry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cranberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2003 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by crazzzycait crazzzycait wrote:

We soccer girls wear below the ankle socks or soccer socks with Adidas sandals every day

Since Crazzzycait brought it up , I do think that wearing socks is acceptable in cases involving sports (hey, gotta be comfortable, right? I used to be a soccer girl myself ).
I was more referring to cases of Sunday best/formalwear types of sandals with socks. Imagine if Halle Berry showed up in one of her elegant curvy gowns at an awards show with cotton crew socks on underneath her strappy sandals....it just plain doesn't go!
In the case of sportswear, I guess it can sometimes be an exception to the rule.
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2003 at 9:16pm
Ok my turn,

Never wear sandels without a proper pedicure, period!!!

It just grosses me out to see people wearing sandels with dry cracked heals and worse yet...fugus on the toenails!!!! Don't they know how very bad and gross that looks???!!??

In this day and age, every fashion magazine in the spring tells step by step on how to give yourself a pedicure.....these people need to get a clue!!!
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2003 at 4:30pm
Monica and I think alike.

I agree don't wear a halter and have your bra strap showing.

Also agree don't wear plaid and stripes together or anything that conflicts like that.
I almost walked out of the house one day wearing a polkadot headscarf with a striped sweater, until I realized how ridiculous it looked, so I went back in the house and changed my sweater to a solid color that went along well with the headscarf.
You have to be careful of wearing things like that!
tina
ParadigmX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ParadigmX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2004 at 12:44am
- Never match denim washes.
- Try using a 80s tie for a change as a BELT for a unique, vintage look.
- Do not have clothes all of the same color. Experiment and try matching with other colors.
- Baggy is sooo out of fashion. Pick up some fitted clothing for a change.
- Always go designer. You'll be guaranteed quality clothing: Diesel, Energie, Replay, Abercrombie, Guess.
- A good way to find out what type of style suits you is to look into designers and find out what types of clothes their clothing is geared towards.

i.e: American Eagle: 20 year olds. Affordable clothing.

I could go on and on. :)

WATCH QUEER EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY for good fashion tips.
Roadrat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roadrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2004 at 5:06pm
Is it all right for a guy to add?

15.) I'm no expert, but (viewed from a guys perspective), I think gals shouldn't wear stockings with open toe shoes.

Open toe shoes = summer
Stockings = winter, makes no sense.

corralary 1: socks with sandals is also a no-no as pointed out earlier.

16.) (Can I add two?)

Knee high boots under jeans or pants. Tuck your jeans IN your boots.

Comments on other rules:

The low rider jeans with a full figure isn't a bad sight to me.

Bra straps shouldn't show.

------------------

Comments on these fashion desings welcome.
R/A Fashion Design
S/r

'If it ain't broke, leave it alone!'
Blah blah chick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blah blah chick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2004 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by princessmonica princessmonica wrote:

i was a little mad with that episode! i still wear scrunchies! this is coming from the girl who had 20 bobbypins in her hair for the look! and her roots always show.

I couldn't agree more! I like scruchies and even though I am 15, my mother is 46 and she looks adorable in scrunchies. She has a belt hanging in her closet that holds all of her hair barettes (sp?) and scrunchies. Certain scrunchies on the wrist look good and can really add to an outfit that a bare wrist or bracelet simply cannot.
"Life doesn't have to be perfect to be
wonderful" -Annette Funicello
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2004 at 6:05am
Roadrat - Nice designs, very retro. I really like the bikini with matching overlay. Tres chic as well as practical for a beach or pool gathering where you want to cover up from the sun sometimes.

Another rule....Spandex pants, bike shorts with overhanging large t-shirts that have some airbrushed message on them...usually finished off with scrunched up socks and keds or some exercise shoe..or God forbid -sandals! (scrunchies included for this look)

need I say more?

jacqui
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic