Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why are the 80s back this fall?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why are the 80s back this fall?
    Posted: September 10 2003 at 7:14am
That's what I keep reading. Delias.com (which used to be really cool when I was in high school but is now identical to all the other vendors selling cheap, thin clothing) has joyously announced "we're doing the 80's, ladies!" A few examples:

http://delias.com/cat/html/item.cepl?c=tops&XRF=c2&i=0408L

http://delias.com/cat/html/item.cepl?c=shoes&XRF=c2&i=14664

http://delias.com/cat/html/item.cepl?c=tops&XRF=c2&i=0408U

All I ask is...why?!?!?!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2003 at 9:32am
Probably because fashion goes in
circles and the designers just decided
to bring back some of the stuff.

I hope that awful overstyled hair from
that era doesn't come back, or at least
that many people will have enough
taste to avoid it.
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2003 at 3:09pm
That doesn't look like what I remember from the '80s but then I was mostly interested in work apparel back then. I really like '80s suits and dresses. I know most people think this is crazy but I think the shoulder pads and longer skirts were much more flattering to the average female figure than some of the stuff that is out there now.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2003 at 4:35pm
I think as long as no one starts wearing fluorescent colors or those hideous stirrup pants...I'll be all right.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2003 at 9:50pm
Oh gosh, stirrups. Yuck. They were a repeat from the sixties too. One recycled look that should have stayed in the bin.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2003 at 10:18pm
Lyris.
Aren't you 22 years old? You were like 7 years old in the 80s! I'm 27 and I don't even remember the 80s that well except for the music, because they always play music from the 70s and 80s on the radio.

What I do recall of the fashion of the 80s was that it was cheap and obnoxious. Bright cheap looking clothes, mohawk haircuts -(including on women)-, big hair on male rock bands, big earrings, etc. I guess it wasn't the most stylish of decades. I'm sure their was stylish fashion as well in the 80s but the stuff for young people back then wasn't the best.

Some of the music was ok though but there is at least some good music in every decade.
tina
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2003 at 3:37am
Why? Because they just finished doing the '60s and '70s retro, so now it's time for the '80s again, of course. I read once that fashion repeats itself in twenty-year cycles, so being in the 2000s now, it looks like we're about due for another dose of '80s.
*shrugs* I was a kid then, so I'm finding the resurrection of '80s toys like Care Bears, My Little Pony, He-man, Strawberry Shortcake, etc. way cooler than any cheesy fashions they could resurrect :-) .
More awesome than a manatee!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2003 at 6:29am
Originally posted by tina m tina m wrote:

Lyris.
Aren't you 22 years old? You were like 7 years old in the 80s! I'm 27 and I don't even remember the 80s that well except for the music, because they always play music from the 70s and 80s on the radio.

What I do recall of the fashion of the 80s was that it was cheap and obnoxious. Bright cheap looking clothes, mohawk haircuts -(including on women)-, big hair on male rock bands, big earrings, etc. I guess it wasn't the most stylish of decades. I'm sure their was stylish fashion as well in the 80s but the stuff for young people back then wasn't the best.

Some of the music was ok though but there is at least some good music in every decade.

Unfortunately, Tina, some things are so bad as to stick in the mind forever: scary Mrs. Pirana from the 5th grade, the Challenger, 80s fashion. I was born in '81 so I remember well the late 80s and the early 90s when the big-hair era was still on the way out.
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2003 at 10:21am
I think that shoulder pads in women's
suits are severe and mannish looking
but that's just my opininion.

Tina, I've seen pictures from 80s mags
where the models are flatteringly elegant
and put-together (and think of the late
Princess Diana, but maybe such people
fall into an entirely different class) but
that seems to have been the higher end
of fashion. There was indeed much
tackiness, cheapness and excess in
clothes and hair for younger people
particularly, as you say. And I've been
seeing more mohawk-type haircuts
lately...
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2003 at 10:26pm
LOL Lyris! I love the 80s! I want to wear leg warmers again!

And you're right... I remember when Delia's was good stuff. But maybe we're too old to know good stuff anymore. I suppose 80s retro is still cutting edge. Sort of.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2003 at 6:06pm
I was born in 88, so I have no recollection of the 80s at all. I don't get why the retro clothes never look like the original fashions. I wish that shellsuits were never invented though. If the twenty year cycle is true then we will be subjected to them in a few years time. NNNNNNOOOoooo!!!! I'm more than old enough to remember them.
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2003 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by enfys enfys wrote:

I was born in 88

<----- Feels old.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2003 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by SuperGrover SuperGrover wrote:

Originally posted by enfys enfys wrote:

I was born in 88

<----- Feels old.

Ah, come on. You can't be that old. If you were old you wouldn't be able to remember the 80s, because your memory would have gone. Probably. Unless you've got a really good memory. How good is your memory?
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2003 at 6:11pm
SG *isn't* that old, and neither am I....but yes, the 15-year-olds among us make 20-somethings feel ancient But I think we know deep down we're not. Now my great-grandmother who is 97 and too senile to talk about, on the other hand.....
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2003 at 9:03pm
Well, I am old but I can still remember the '80s and I think fashion wise that was my favorite decade. It was the first one where I could actually afford the clothes. I have really hated the resurgence of '60s and '70s stuff, probably for the same reason that all you youngsters hate the '80s--I had to wear all that stuff in high school and it looked dumb in retrospect. To me Princess Diana epitomizes the look of the decade. And maybe Linda Evans and some of the Dynasty ladies (although Joan Collins was too over the top for me). Also Victoria Principal and Linda Gray. They always looked great.

If you look at the higher end, business end stuff from back then it was really very nice. The "dress for success" principal was coined during that decade and everyone really dressed up. Looking sloppy and casual was considered really bad. Then came casual Fridays that gradually went to casual all week. I remember once when the a/c went off in my building that we were not allowed to take off our panty hose (the CEO made a special decree), even though the temperature was over 100 degrees! Now they tell me that no one even wears hose anymore (imagine that!) but I don't have to go into the office much so it doesn't affect me either way. I personally hope that more formal business attire comes back in. I think it was a much better atmosphere to work in when everyone worried a bit about how they looked.
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2003 at 5:24am
Originally posted by demodoll demodoll wrote:

If you look at the higher end, business end stuff from back then it was really very nice. The "dress for success" principal was coined during that decade and everyone really dressed up. Looking sloppy and casual was considered really bad. Then came casual Fridays that gradually went to casual all week...
I personally hope that more formal business attire comes back in. I think it was a much better atmosphere to work in when everyone worried a bit about how they looked.

Dress for success? Being judged upon your
appearance? Having your comfort limited and
your individuality undermined? Out upon these
ideas! Let the individuals have their freedom.
So it's not enough to do the work, but you
also have to wear what another tells you? Far
from being comfortable working in such an atmosphere, I would feel stifled by it. Down
with needless rules. What's next, going back
to making men men come to work with
nooses around their collars? No thanx,
Demodoll.
I would feel
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2003 at 9:51am
I suspect that like it or not that is exactly what you are going to see happening over the next few years. I lived through the '70s with casual everywhere and everyone dressing down because it was fashionable and being sloppy and generally being "individuals." I think right now it is fashion to be casual and because people get bored with anything, the pendulum will swing back the other way and a more formal look will be in fashion. There is nothing wrong with trying to look your best and I personally feel much better about everything when I am dressed up. That is just me. It doesn't mean that is true for anyone else. I think having pride in my appearance and enjoying the pretty clothes I was wearing made me a better employee than perhaps I am now wearing shorts and flip flops (it could also be that after 25 years I am sick of working). Again, that is just how I am -- I certainly won't presume to dictate what anyone else should wear.

I graduated from college in 1978 and went straight into the professional world. I had never worn much beyond jeans and college girl clothes because that was fashionable. I quickly learned to dress very differently in the working world and found that I really liked wearing pretty suits and dresses with heels. I got lots of compliments which I never had in my jeans. I guess maybe because I am real tall I just look better in dress clothes.

Whatever, I believe that the casual look of the last few years will begin to change for a more formal look and yes, I think you may even see ties and white starched shirts return too. That just seems to be the way the cycle runs. You may say you will never conform to that but I find that most middle class people are eventually forced to conform to some degree because we have to eat.
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2003 at 1:33am
Well, there's nothing wrong with dressing
up if you feel good about it. But making
you honor a dress code where that is not
essential for the job, that's a different
story.

Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2003 at 4:20am
Maybe people who were ridiculed on their clothes in school are the ones who're all for dress codes. . . or maybe I just really like the look of suits and uniforms. . . but I think dress codes are a good thing, in a structured environment like work or school. People are less likely to be ridiculed or looked down on over clothing that way, and less competition over who's best-dressed or who's got more money to spend on keeping up with fashion. People like me, who have very little to no concern over fashion and even less money to put towards designer clothing can actually benefit from dress codes. I wish there had been one when I was in school, actually. . .
More awesome than a manatee!
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2003 at 6:28am
Well, Kurenko, when I was in middle
school in the early 90s, designer
shoes were all the rage (think, Reebok
Pumps, Nike Airs etc). They were so
expensive that my parents wouldn't
buy them for me. My peers teased me
for my "cheap" shoes. Nonetheless, I
would always have rather dealt with
it than had grownups "solve" the
problem for me by dictating what I can
and can't wear. The thought of school
uniforms was always, you could say,