Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

fashion televison

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shinydome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinydome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fashion televison
    Posted: September 11 2003 at 9:41am
..........i don't know how many of you watch fashion shows on cable or dish but i'm a huge fan of fashion shows such as 'Style' on cnn which airs every saturday morning here in the states.

i've noticed how..., not so much bald heads, but the extreme short styled crops are back in vogue a bit.
...a number of models now wearing them.
...actresses as well.

... an example of this is jamie lee curtis's short crop. she is wearing it shorter than ever. she basically wears a pixie but it is so short now that she has nearly no length at all to her crop. her bangs couldn't be more than a quarter of an inch in front, and the cut is styled close to the head everywhere. .....her hair couldn't be more than half an inch at it's longest anywhere on her head.

.....i saw actress alyssa milano on late night t.v. this week. she has gone to a very short crop, pixie style, couldn't be more than a half inch long, very sleek, smooth, subtle pixie, tapered, .... she looks very dynamic, feminine and ladylike in her new crop....she is a classic italian brunette, (such a pretty lady!), who looks far better than liza minneli ever did in a short style and she is wearing it shorter than liza ever did.

..... it is not uncommon for fashion models who work new york and london to oftentimes wear their hair this short;

but i've noticed even models in paris and milan are sporting these new super-short pixies.

......of course paris over the years has featured shaven headed models such as eve salvail and alec wek, but this is different. .....
not just one or two token bald models but several girls wearing short crops; ... a couple of black gals in ultra short afros, two or three white girls with the close crops;... this is different.

the new trend is not towards spiked punk looks but rather more sleek and smooth, carefully and well styled close crops, with just a little something on top and bangs super short in front. neatly tailored crops, layered and smoothly shingled with extreme short hair.

..... as far as clothes goes a similar trend is happening. ...more sleek looks fewer raggedy ann or eurotrash junkieland styles.....emphasis now seems to be on sleekness, sophistication and elegance.

less into shock styles more into traditional feminine clothing. that to me is not only classy but practical. .....what sensible woman with a good style sense (or for that matter self-esteem) would want to wear silly, freaky, inelegent trash anyway? ...(and pay a fortune for it usually!)

...there are of course many exceptions to what i am describing and people could point out that there are at all times contradictory trends in the fashion world happening simultaniously;... so true, but i like the general trend and i hope i am right about this.

..... that is; sleeker, softer, classier, more feminine hairstyles, regardless the length of hair (and including some very nice short hairstyles and once in a while a bald woman);... and feminine and practical clothing.

..... as far as earrings and jewelry go; i've noticed more hoop earrings and medium length earrings, and a trend away from the little earrings and super small ultra petite jewelry of recent years, (but not a retreat, thankfully, back to the loud, large, gawky jewelry of the 1980s when really the trash look started; what with the horrible day-glo colored costume jewelry; cindy lauper style of racket, heaven forbid we go that way again!)

in wearing earrings and jewels too the trend seems more towards the practical and attractive fine jewelry, avoiding the extremes of too large or too small.....with an emphasis on the practical, the sophisticated; ...and what really looks good.

i do hope i'm right in my summation of what i see are the current fashion trends because it is what i and i would think most women really want and can really use in our everyday life.

.....anyone have their own thoughts on these or other fashion trends that you have noticed recently?
would love to get your ideas on fashion.

cheers,
svenja
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2003 at 6:17pm
I haven't noticed this, but I don't have sky or cable, so I just have the five terrestrial channels.

I never follow fashions anyway. I have hair past my tailbone, wear styles that clash and avoid sweatshop made designer clothes. Any teenage magazine editor would have a fit if they met me, but I don't care. It is nice for people who do follow fashion to have looks that work for them while they can, before it goes out of fashion. That's the downside I suppose. But hey, I like big jewellery. I just bought a pewter ring that's a snake that wraps itself right around your finger. It's so cool. Cheesy plastic is a bit yucky in my opinion.

How many people here do follow fashions? Everyone seems to know much more about these things than I do. Maybe I should buy some magazines.
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2003 at 9:08pm
Well I for one hope you are right. I think classic, elegant looks are the best and most practical. Good, well designed clothes can last for decades. Since I just got a short crop because my hairdresser decided that is what I should have (I trust him and I think this will be just great), I hope they are going to become a fashion staple.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic