Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What was fashionable in the 90s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What was fashionable in the 90s?
    Posted: September 23 2003 at 7:29am
We've been talking about the 80s lately and we can all define styles from that decade: big hair, hoop earrings, tapered stonewashed jeans, etc. But what about the 90s? Most of us (including myself) clearly remember those years yet there doesn't seem to be a definitive "90s look." Shall we start a list of Things that were Popular in the 80s?

1.) Jennifer Aniston's haircut
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2003 at 11:21am
the grunge look [yuck]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2003 at 12:24pm
really really baggy pants on guys
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2003 at 1:13pm
Yeah I'm with Monica. I'll add 4) Doc Martens.

5) Wasn't Cross Colours early 90s, too? Kris Kross! LOL

6) MC Hammer pants.

7) Rolling your pants up at the bottom and folding/tucking them in the process so they are tight and tapered!

8) Adidas Samba Classic indoor soccer shoes were all the rage in my town. But then I came from a big soccer town.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2003 at 4:18pm
Shellsuits in about 1991! Ew. My sister had a bright pink one. If was handy in fog because she was a beacon to follow. Not good.
http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2003 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by SuperGrover SuperGrover wrote:

Yeah I'm with Monica. I'll add 4) Doc Martens.

5) Wasn't Cross Colours early 90s, too? Kris Kross! LOL

6) MC Hammer pants.

7) Rolling your pants up at the bottom and folding/tucking them in the process so they are tight and tapered!

8) Adidas Samba Classic indoor soccer shoes were all the rage in my town. But then I came from a big soccer town.

good ones supergrover! i think the rolling pants was in the 80's. i was in 8th grade when i did that but maybe people still did it in the early 90's? kris kross was early 90's. my cousin couldn't stand them! when they were on mtv she would run and turn it off. LOL

baby barettes tori spellng would wear on 90210. i mean real barettes for babes and young kids! does anyone remember that?
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2003 at 7:07pm
Seems like bell bottoms and hip huggers and platform shoes came back in the '90s. Also, textured hair (the bedhead, dirty look) and really straight hair came back in the late '90s.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2003 at 7:27am
Here's a few more:

-mushroom cuts (in the early 90s)

-designer sneakers (eg. Reebok Pumps)

-neon clothing (early 90s again)

-box cuts (for blacks, but also for some
whites, I think. Remember Vanilla Ice?)
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2003 at 11:08pm
Mushroom cuts! I had one of those!
Shell suits! @_@ Um, yeah. Those were awful. You thinking of what I'm thinking of? Like jogging suits that were shiny/metallicy/polyester material and usually came in pearly coral and purple or teal? Ewwwwww!

Old ladies I can excuse, but my friend in HS had one in teal and purple! In retrospect, it's all so clear why we weren't popular. :p
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2003 at 10:18am
A couple other things that hit me this weekend...

--Shiny nylon windsuits worn to school. More of a fad when I was in middle school but it was huge for a year or so.

--Sweatshirts worn inside out. Never understood that!

--Peace signs on EVERYTHING.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2003 at 1:53pm
bodysuits
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2003 at 9:41am
Originally posted by SuperGrover SuperGrover wrote:

Shell suits! @_@ Um, yeah. Those were awful. You thinking of what I'm thinking of? Like jogging suits that were shiny/metallicy/polyester material and usually came in pearly coral and purple or teal? Ewwwwww!

Old ladies I can excuse, but my friend in HS had one in teal and purple! In retrospect, it's all so clear why we weren't popular. :p

Yep. Exactly. My sister had one that was fuschia, cyan and white. Very un-good. And then, when I was about 8 my mum made me wear it all the time bcause the stupid indestructable thing wouldn't break. In the end, I had toreally struggle to grow out of it.
enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2003 at 9:44am
The Spice Girls.

They started a lot of the platform comeback thing. And a Union Jack revival.
Grace912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grace912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2003 at 10:07am
Baby tees with overalls
Hiking boots or other shoes with lug soles
Mini backpacks (which I still love, btw)
Slip dresses over baby tees
These weird flat sandals that everyone I knew had around '96.

Yes, I was in middle school in the mid-'90's. Why do you ask?
Monica: Isn't there any way that you could look at this as flattering? I mean, she's doing this to be more like you.
Rachel: Well, then, couldn't she have just copied my haircut?
Aoecean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aoecean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2003 at 3:42pm
I thought I was a big trend in the 90s...oh well
jean32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jean32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2006 at 7:59pm
skunk stripes hair color in blonde and brown,Doc Martens shoes,[designer skatersneakers] vans shoes,Champions sneakers,chin earring,eyebrow earring,wrap hairstyle,wide high heels,cargo pants,cargo skirts,

Edited by jean32
lilkeke918 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilkeke918 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2006 at 8:57pm

Huge Braids with diff colors in it

The gumby

Backwards clothes

Im an Ocean yall cats are just ponds
UFOKommando View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UFOKommando Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2006 at 5:56pm

Silk shirts (smooth silk and raw silk)

Stirrup pants

Bow shoes - flat dress shoes with big bows on the toes (I think these were the 90s,but maybe late 80s)

Adidas soccer shoes and pumas (guys and girls)

Grunge look - flannel shirts, doc martins (guys and girls)

Guys liked baggy jeans and Tommy Hilfiger polos

Timberland Eurohikers for guys and girls

Clown suits (girls)

katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 5:41am

Hey,

I LOVE the Spice Girls, especially Scarey Spice!!!

I wish I were Black, seriously, with the kinky curly hair,especially. I'm mostly norwegin, with naturally redhair(i'm a bit Irish/scottish) and I have straight hair, except with humidity, then my hair is a bit wavey, otherwise, my hair is soooo boring, oh well.

God Bless,...
Katie
moffpoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moffpoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 11:26am
Horrible Highligthed hair, In the late 90`s short spiky hair on guys with the Tips frostet, early 90`s  long bleached grungy hair that smelled of funk O.o huuum Jean Paul perfume....uumh i still love that stuff....
12 Inch Wawa, Installed with Protac, i love hair extensions<3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic