Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Survey: How to people dress where you live?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Jenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Survey: How to people dress where you live?
    Posted: January 21 2004 at 2:13pm
I've been interested lately in style attitudes and trends by geographical areas. This would be a fun survey, since we have members from all over the world.

Where do you live? (city, state, provence, or country)

What are the popular styles and trends in your region?

Do you conform to the styles, or do you dress differently?
Jenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2004 at 2:35pm
Where do you live?
I live in a very populated suburb near Sacramento, California

People here are very image and brand conscious, and tend to dress to impress. Mall Brand names such as Guess, Abercrombie, GAP, etc, are very popular, especially when written on the actual clothing to show where they are from. IMO people are not very adventurous or daring with their clothing, with the exception of some sub-cultures. To be casual, a lot of people wear oversized, comfy sweatshirts. Nice sweaters and turtlenecks are also popular in the winter. Most women wear low rise jeans or other colored pants as a staple. Women rarely wear skirts, unless they're denim, which I've noticed is a contrast to the European culture.

I like to shop at trendy stores, but I tend to buy their more unusual and interesting clothes. I also love daring jewelery, such as feather earrings or exotic gold-looking necklaces. I usually wear jeans, but this spring I'm going to start wearing more skirts for a change. This summer I'm moving to Amsterdam, Holland, so I'm looking forward to trying even more daring fashions, since it is more accepted to be an individualist there.
BaldJasmine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJasmine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2004 at 5:38pm
I live in Chicago.
People here like to think of themselves as sophisticated although maybe not quite as trendy as L.A. or New York.

It really depends on your economic bracket.
Here in this big urban area, people do buy the fancy brands when they can afford it, and people do pay attention to style in Chicago.
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2004 at 3:53am
Originally posted by Jenna Jenna wrote:

I've been interested lately in style attitudes and trends by geographical areas. This would be a fun survey, since we have members from all over the world.

Where do you live? (city, state, provence, or country)

Southeastern US. . . that's about as specific as I get OL, for security paranoia reasons *laughs*

Depends on class. Low-income people generally wear just t-shirts and worn jeans, or sometimes (I hate to say it) clothes that look secondhand and often don't match. Middle-class people look more like the people in the Old Navy ads, with lots of logos and fairly trendy, but safe, clothes. Upper-class people I have less exposure to, but they do strike me as spending money on quality clothes, usually taking more time to match well and use tasteful accessories, and they're generally followed by the smell of some nice perfume or cologne. Whenever I'm looking in more expensive stores I always feel like I smell bad, because all their customers always smell so nice and I only rarely wear any perfume.

I'm afraid I'm very low-income, so I have absolutely no fancy clothes. Fortunately, I'm not the type who cares much about clothes, so I'm perfectly fine with my t-shirts and worn jeans. A button-up shirt and slacks rather than jeans is about as dressed up as I get. I don't keep up with trends and generally don't throw out anything until it's beyond repair. I do like accessories, though I haven't got money to spend on expensive ones. I try to look the best I can with what I have, and I feel good if someone notices a nice necklace or earrings or whatever I have on, even if it only cost a few dollars or so.

More awesome than a manatee!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2004 at 1:38pm
I live in Michigan, about 90 minutes from Chicago. We're actually across Lake Michigan from the Windy City.

Here, brands are useless. Polo is about the extent of high couture at the Fortune 500-size company in which I work. In Chicago, it's another story. Burberry is huge there, as is anything outlandishly priced.

I hate trends in general but I love nicely tailored clothing. I shop in the back half of Banana Republic, J Crew (their suits are fantastic if you're tall) and the Ann Taylor outlet store (utopia!.) Some things (empire waists and capris) will NEVER look good on me, so I refuse to wear them despite their popularity.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Debbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2004 at 3:31pm
I live in the Southern 1/2 of ILLINOIS! There are all types of dress arund here. From the hippie era (tie dyes to the ripped blue jeans?) to the uppity class. My son whom is 20 taught me to dress like I want to and not to care what others think. So we being southern illinoiers wear just about anything from name brands to non matching things. Anything goes here and I think it is quite fun!
There is more to life than hair...Come on---Go get a life!!!!!!!
CrazyGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 1:35pm
I live in Los Angeles. Depends on the enthnicity here I think. I usually am in my jeans, sneakers, shirts and a sweater (mostly roxy stuff). Anyway, try going to different malls and you will see different styles, brands and people. Asians (and I am not saying ALL) tend to dress up more even just going to the mall than Caucasians. I was just in Hawaii and there, I was mostly in sleeveless and skirts or shorts and flip flops, no matter where we went just like everyone else (and that was nice).

Most of my jeans, shorts and skirts were from Abercrombie only because I find really small sizes that fits me well. Express has the right length, surf store has the perfect size shirts. Tough being short. LOL.
Brent E from San Francisco View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brent E from San Francisco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 7:07pm
I lived for years in San Francisco. I'm not sure if Asians in the Bay area dressed up more than other people or not, but I must say I very much enjoyed looking at lovely Asian ladies such as yourself CrazyGirl when they were dressed up and out on the town!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2004 at 6:19pm
Where do you live? (city, state, provence, or country) Treasure coast, southeast Florida.

What are the popular styles and trends in your region? Here is so casual that almost anything goes. Trying to stay cool is the goal and it is hard for nine months out of the year. Most people wear shorts, t-shirts or tank tops, and flip flops. I generally wear jeans skirts and knit tops with platform flipflops. Slides if I have to dress up a bit. I wear jeans in January and February (mostly low rise, boot cut) and a blazer if it is chilly. My daughter and her friends all wear cute clothes from Abercrombie and Fitch, Charlotte Russe, American Eagle. They also wear big flipflops in bright colors. My son wears board shorts and baggy t-shirts with skateboard shoes. My husband wears golf shorts, baggy t-shirts, and boat shoes. No socks. You almost never see anyone dressed up here. I guess it is just too hot. Since I came down here from Atlanta (a very formal city) that took some getting used to.

Do you conform to the styles, or do you dress differently? Since there really isn't a style I would guess I am conforming to that. I love pretty clothes and dressing up but my lifestyle isn't condusive to that anymore (at least for now) so I am just casually comfortable like everyone else. I still won't go out without doing hair and makeup though.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 7:12am
I'm from Toronto, probably a fairly liberal, certainly very diverse city. I'd say people tend to be a bit conformist but I shouldn't generalize. I am the type who doesn't want to concern himself with his dress. ''99.5%'' of the time. I'm in, like, jeans and a t/sweatshirt. I'm a non-conformist and this is reflected in my appearance: though my clothes are not ''unusual'', I don't follow fashion as such and intend to continue dressing the way I please (and wearing my hair as I please).

I've been spending awhile working in Prague, which I think may be a less conformist place. Except for the old generation, men sometimes seem to be like me - they don't seem to care too much about dressing up etc. Women tend to be more into cosmetics and stuff but they too seem to have caught on to the Western jeans fashion. Even girls in jewelry stores often seem to have jeans on. Some of the older folks are more conservative-looking, though and go places dressed up. Sometimes with tyrol-style hats, I think, though I've seen more of this in Dresden and Vienna. I even saw an old man with what seemed to be a traditional mountain costume (knickerbockers and thick socks).
Sue in Maine View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sue in Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2004 at 10:22am
Maine.

Style? What is style???? LOL
Captain Japonica View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Japonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2004 at 1:07am
I live in Arlington, and it seems people (in my neighborhood at least) tend to dress in a free-spirited whimsical fashion. For example, I saw a petite old lady with long, loose gray hair wearing an ankle length flowy, flouncy pink skirt with a white peasant top, chunky turquiose jewelry, soft pink lipstick, and tennis shoes. She looked very cute in an other-worldy kind of way.
gizmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gizmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2004 at 2:58pm
Near Houston

T-Shirts and Shorts/Jeans are the generic style. Since it's the summer and it's HOT, a lot of girls are wearing tank tops. Flip-flops or name brand sneakers are what people are wearing on their feet. Around my area, young people wear brands that are dictated by what's in the mall. For a long time, it was Gap and Old Navy. Then Abercrombie moved in and they all wore that. Now it's Hollister...

Hardly anyone wears the stereotypical Western wear--boots, wranglers... save for maybe a rolled straw cowboy hat (it's trendy at the moment with the preps). Our area is too middle class suburbia I suppose.

As for me? I wear whatever is most comfortable. Think Land's End or LL Bean. I keep a slight eye towards fashion trends but it only mildly influences what I wear. I like classics. Jeans, Chuck Taylors (bought before they were suddenly popular again), button down shirts, cardigans, t-shirts, tanks in the summer... If I was able to, I'd live in a sweatshirt or sweater all year long. I follow some labels (Gap, Old Navy) because they're reasonable and I'll hit up Dillards for designer stuff whenever it goes on the clearance racks. $25 cashmere...mmmmmm.
beachgerl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beachgerl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2004 at 9:58am
Where do you live?
San Diego, Cali

I see a dichotomy of styles. One group's predominantly preppy (aka surfer, casual clothing such as cargo khakis, jeans, skimpy tops, all with flipflops or sandals). Another group's predominantly punk. A lot of punks wear their own kind of clothing and colors that pretty much label themselves as punks due to a lot of underground music scene here.

I like a bit of both, preppy and punk, depending on my mood. :)

sxysparkler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sxysparkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 12:17pm
Where do you live?
Northern California/ southern oregon

In college and for the younger crowd the traditional mall brand clothing lines are popular (i.e. GAP, Old Navy, Bebe, etc).

Do you conform to the styles, or do you dress differently? For me, there really isn't a choice, if you think about it. You can only wear what's in the stores, and the stores only sell "in style" things. I tend to wear comfortable clothes that make me feel good. I never look for specific brands, but sometimes I'll go for a certain style.
MoNiCaxOC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoNiCaxOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2004 at 12:44pm
Where do you live? Brea, Orange County, California

What are the popular styles and trends in your region? Since I am in the O.C., other than what the low-class people wear (gross clothes from Factory 2 U and K-mart haha) it's really all about copying celeb style. Everyone I know is all about stealing looks from Paris or Jessica (used to be Britney but that's just trash). Most girls my age (20) I see day-to-day in boot-cut jeans (like Miss Sixty's or Blue Cult's) with a cute top (like a chiffon top from Victoria's Secret) and maybe a fitted blazer when it's cold and some really high-heeled pointy toe shoes and like a Gucci, Coach or Louis Vuitton purse and some crystal chandelier earrings. I absolutey love the style around here! And aside from clothing everyone I know goes tanning (spray and real) and gets their nails done. I hope that sums it up pretty well?

Do you conform to the styles, or do you dress differently? I dress just like I described above...as do like all my friends and co-workers (even my boss whose 50!!)
This is because I can spell konfusion with a K
It's hard to like it
It's to dying in anothers arms
And why i had to try it...
- Something Corporate "Konstantine"
leale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2004 at 3:39pm
I live smack dab in the middleof the United States (Oklahoma City)

The style down here is very relaxed. Not much happens here so many people do not dress up. when it comes to change many people around here seem like their terrified of it. When brightly colred stilletos came out down here I bought a pair and my friends and family seemed shocked. I think the motto down here is "If you can't wear jeans with it, why the hell are you wearing it."

I wear what flatters me. From dresses, skirts, boots, ponchos, jeans, or dress suits.
leale
xx buela muerte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xx buela muerte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2005 at 6:12pm
Where do you live?
I live in Jersey City, New Jersey.

People here are mostly into hip hop, rap, r&b. So when you see those videos on tv, that's how people near me dress. ;x

guys -- fitted [hats], jerseys [baseball, basketball, etc.] jeans [worn under the butt], white tees [xxxxxxl], sneakers

girls -- tight tight jeans, tees, sneakers.

brand names such as -- ECKO RED, MARC ECKO, MECCA, BABY PHAT, PHAT FARM, SOUTH POLE, THE NORTHFACE, AKADEMIKS, etc.

shoes -- NIKE, TIMBERLAND, DIESEL

i have my own touch. i wear jeans, sneakers [converses chuck taylors], and tees. i'm girly, punkish, etc.

Old Navy, Aeropostale, Foot Locker, Journeys, JCPenney, FOREVER21, it doesn`t matter to me .. as long as the clothes are nice.
ames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2005 at 6:19am
Originally posted by duke duke wrote:

I've been spending awhile working in Prague, which I think may be a less conformist place. Except for the old generation, men sometimes seem to be like me - they don't seem to care too much about dressing up etc. Women tend to be more into cosmetics and stuff but they too seem to have caught on to the Western jeans fashion.

so prague isn't western eh?thats so typical of american attitudes to the rest of the world, they used to be communists, they are far away from the u.s.a therefore they are some kind of 'other'. i think you will find they are most certainly western.
i can't take it no more so i'm going on a shopping spree
....H.A.R.M.A.R superstar....
moonlessbraclet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moonlessbraclet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2005 at 3:19pm
Colorado, everyone here seems to look laid back. More jeans and tees. Myself personally dont go with the flow of that. I dress up more.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic