Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

women in suit&necktie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xxxzvp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xxxzvp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: women in suit&necktie
    Posted: October 29 2004 at 11:47am
My wife often wears a suit with a shirt and necktie to her office,(she is a hospital adminostrator). Sometimes she gets very negative comments from some of her co-workers,both male and female. We both think that this is a very appealing look on her,and you see women wearing suits&ties quite often on tv,although not as much as a few years ago. Is this still appropriate attire for a woman?
Damier500 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damier500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2004 at 6:14pm
well, i've seen a look similar to this.. the lady had o a suit with a skirt instead of the pants... i think that you may have answered your own question by saying its not seen as often today.. that look is a bit dated.. on the other hand.. it can be pulled off..as long as the suit is fitting (see this blazer: Here)and i'm not sure its with a skirt or pants but a skirt would go over better..
Unregistered Guest View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unregistered Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2004 at 12:37am
Well in my opinion I do not think it is appropriate for women to wear neck ties. Suits are okay if they are femanine, but not neckties.
EmeraldNight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmeraldNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2004 at 12:12pm
I think it depends on exactly how masculine the whole look is and how often she wears it.
If she wears a suit and tie to work every day, I would begin to think she was trying to prove a point... like that she was better than the men or something. But if it's just on occasion, then it can be very fashionable and sexy, particularly if it's paired with some feminine things.

For example, if its a suit jacket, shirt and tie paired with a skirt its much more feminine. Or if she pairs it with unique jewelry, which i think is the difference between the "im just as good as you are so there haha" offensive look, and the "im fashionable and feminine, but powerful" look.

On a side note, i wear feminine suits and ties out a lot actually, particulaly with my hair sleeked back and stilettos. Never to an office though
ConanOBrien View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConanOBrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2004 at 12:14am
Here's a perfect example of a double standard- IN REVERSE.
What If a guy showed up in work wearing a dress?
He's be fired the first day wearing it.
Unless he's Max weinberg, then we just feel bad for him and let it go.
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2004 at 1:37pm
Well, let's be fair, are you really dying to see a man in a dress? Well? Especially since the dress probably wouldn't be his color anyway and he likely wouldn't be wearing a slip underneath?
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
leale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2004 at 8:38pm
Stilettos, stilettos,stilettos, stilettos!
Its all in the shoes and accesories.

Most women that I know who wear ties and suits are not doing so to express power.

Some people might get offended if a woman wears a non-form fitted pant suit with flats and a tie (it would'nt be all that appealing either)
leale
EmeraldNight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmeraldNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 6:40pm
Exactly Leale!

Stilettos with a suit is gooorgeous!
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2004 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by EmeraldNight EmeraldNight wrote:

Exactly Leale!

Stilettos with a suit is gooorgeous!

Which is probably why it is totally inappropriate for a woman to wear a suit and tie to work in an office, which is what the original poster was writing about. Sexy is not what workwear is about.

For a woman to wear a suit and tie is to make a more or less political statement. It's fine to do this on your own time, but it would be understandable if the boss didn't approve.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
redhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2005 at 12:14pm
Suit with necktie, hmmm, I should think it would attract the wrong sort of attention and comments.
I wear suits to college (pant or skirt suits) and I usually wear stiletto shoes. There is no reason why you can't wear a suit to be taken more seriously, but still look feminine as well.
kinat_gin View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kinat_gin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 5:21pm
What is everybody's problem? I wear a pantsuit and tie to work eveyday, without stiloettoes or any jewellry. How is this trying to make a radical statement? I simply like to look professional. And, yes, my boss does approve and appreciate this.

I don't understand how stiloettoes are more appropriate than a suit and tie???

Honestly, what is the big deal?!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by kinat_gin kinat_gin wrote:

What is everybody's problem? I wear a pantsuit and tie to work eveyday, without stiloettoes or any jewellry. How is this trying to make a radical statement? I simply like to look professional. And, yes, my boss does approve and appreciate this.

I don't understand how stiloettoes are more appropriate than a suit and tie???

Honestly, what is the big deal?!

Your boss wants you to dress like a man? Wow.

kinat_gin View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kinat_gin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by eKatherine eKatherine wrote:

Not at all. MY boss imply appreciates my efforts to dress professionally at the office. I sometimes wear a skirt instead of pants, but only when I feel like it.

I still don't see how this look is offensive when I am under the impression that a suit and tie is the standars. Why should gender make such a radical difference when one is only trying to look professional and not sexy on the job? What is your problem with that!?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2005 at 6:31am
Originally posted by kinat_gin kinat_gin wrote:

Originally posted by eKatherine eKatherine wrote:

Not at all. MY boss imply appreciates my efforts to dress professionally at the office. I sometimes wear a skirt instead of pants, but only when I feel like it.

I still don't see how this look is offensive when I am under the impression that a suit and tie is the standars. Why should gender make such a radical difference when one is only trying to look professional and not sexy on the job? What is your problem with that!?

You're saying that the suit and tie is the standard, which is, again, saying that only men are professional-looking, and women who wish to appear maximally professional should CROSS-DRESS!

Cross-dressing sends a message. Your boss enjoying the fact that you are cross-dressing should be sending you a message.

redhairedgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhairedgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2005 at 8:17am
hehehehe...I love a good argument. I'm still at college (studying psychology) so obviously I don't know what bosses want. I usually wear a skirt suit with stiletoes to college because it makes me feel good, not to please someone else. I definitely wouldn't wear a suit and tie just because some guy thought I looked more "professional".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic