Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Calista Flockhart

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Callie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Callie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calista Flockhart
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:21am

Someone wash that poor girl's hair!! The first season her hair looked "nice". Nothing special, but it fit her character. This past season she looked filthy. Do they actually pay her stylist?

JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:21am

IMHO, I don't think Calista's hair has looked good since the shagish bob she had the first season (that looked a lot like how Courtney Thorne-Smith wears her hair now). Her hair is too fine to be very long; it just hangs there.

JerkyFlea

Related Link:

http://www.hairboutique.com/jerkyflea/jerkyflea.htm" target=_blank>JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray

3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:22am

> IMHO, I don't think Calista's hair has looked good
> since the shagish bob she had the first season (that
> looked a lot like how Courtney Thorne-Smith wears her
> hair now). Her hair is too fine to be very long; it
> just hangs there.

JF--

In your opinion, does fine hair /ever/ look good long? Can you offer some examples?

Thanks,
Ally

silvie90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvie90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:22am

i realize you were asking for JF's opinion, but for what it's worth, here's mine:

i believe Uma Thurman has fine hair, and she is able to wear it long. I think it has a lot to do with getting a good, suitable cut.
I also have fine hair and currently wear it long (past shoulders), thanks to the layers I have in my hair.

Perhaps it's a matter of just *how* fine the hair is (i.e., too fine, and you must forego some length), but I think fine and long can go together.

Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:22am

Please tell me: How /do/ you have it layered? I have very fine hair--but lots of it--and I can never reach a decision.

When it's blunt the ends look thickest. Layers give it volume but also leave it fly-away and wispy-looking. How short are your shortest layers? Do you wear bangs? And is your hair curly, straight, or wavy?

Thanks,
Ally

silvie90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvie90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:22am

hey there
i dont have bangs, and my hair is wavy. i can make it straight if i blow it out. it's definitely fine, as my hair stylist always reminds me!

My shortest layer falls just below my chin. I have a second, longer layer that hits around my shoulder, then the rest falls about 4 inches down my back.

i was hoping to grow out the middle layer to the longest layer, to make it fuller, but it's been difficult because a)my hair is fine and b)i color my hair, so it tends to be dry and the ends can split.

my hair stylist, who I definitely trust (she knows her stuff!)has suggested that I can try to go my hair out more if I want to--but I may not be able to get a lot more length because of factors a and b above. Nevertheless, with regular trims, weekly deep conditioning treatments, minimal coloring, and the hair formula 37 vitamins I'm taking, we're both thinking that maybe I can go a bit longer.

hope this helps!

Ally View Drop Down

It does help! Thank you!

Ally

Ellen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ellen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:22am

>Hi Ally and Silvie90,
I just wanted to add my .02 cents in here since I have been pondering this question off and on for several years too! I love wearing my hair long, but I guess you could say it doesn't love me! I too have fine, straight hair that is not overly abundant either. Perms just wreck my hair, so that is not an option. I recently had my all one length hair that was to the middle of my back with bangs cut to shoulder length with very subtle layers. When I use a curling iron on the ends, the ends tend to flip up, if that helps with the layering description. I really like my hair this way, even if it is sort of a compromise. I would love to have longer hair, but I was constantly battling it to not end up looking stringy and flat. I am a natural dishwater blonde, so I have highlights weaved in every 6 months or so, and the end result is very nice. I think I have just resigned myself to the fact that I can't really wear long hair!! How is your hair cut, Ally?
Ellen

JF--

> In your opinion, does fine hair /ever/ look good long?
> Can you offer some examples?

> Thanks,
> Ally

Suzanna View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:22am

>
Interesting question,
I'm curious as to what JerkyFlea will have to say on this subject? Are you out there JF? Personally, I think fine hair can look good long, I think it really has to do with the person it is on! For instance, alot of models are fine-haired (I wonder if fine hair comes along with delicate bone structure?). One I'm thinking of is in Victoria's Secret mag all the time, I think her name is Daniella Petrov ?? something like that. Her hair looks beautiful on her. Also Claudia Schiffer has fine hair too, and hers looks great long. But, these women have beautiful faces, so maybe the hair doesn't really matter!!!! : ) What do you all think?

Cheers, Suzanna

JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:22am

> JF--

> In your opinion, does fine hair /ever/ look good long?
> Can you offer some examples?

> Thanks,
> Ally

Hiya Ally,

Despite what you may think, I haven't been avoiding your question. I've really been racking my brain trying to come up with an example of someone on who fine hair looks good long.

And I can't.

The closest I can come is Uma Thurman, though she pulls it off with her overall look and not just her hair. Fiona Apple doesn't look bad, nor does Reese Witherspoon, but I just can't think of any that look "good".

IMHO,
JerkyFlea

Related Link:

http://www.hairboutique.com/jerkyflea/jerkyflea.htm" target=_blank>JerkyFlea's Celebrity Hair Spray

JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:22am

Darn it, I keep forgetting to detach that picture

Related Link:

Ally View Drop Down

....Heather Graham, Kim Basinger, Kate Winslet, Bridget Fonda, Sophie Marceau, Gabrielle Anwar, Baby Spice (Emma Bunton)....?

Ally

JerkyFlea View Drop Down

> ....Heather Graham, Kim Basinger, Kate Winslet,
> Bridget Fonda, Sophie Marceau, Gabrielle Anwar, Baby
> Spice (Emma Bunton)....?

Depends on how fine you define "fine". Are you talking about the diameter of the hair or the amount of hair? For example, Mrs. Flea's hair is somewhat fine in the sense that the hair shaft has a average to small diameter, but she has a lot of it. The killer is the combination of "fine" and "thin" which is the category I put Calista Flockhart and Uma Thurman into. Heather Graham, Bridget Fonda, and especially Kim Basinger may have fine hair, but all have fairly thick hair (i.e., an abundance of it). In fact, I'm not sure I'd even put Kim in the fine hair category. Also, don't be fooled by hair that is styled stick straight as being fine. For example, looking at some pictures of Catherine Zeta-Jones, one would think her hair is some what fine, but I think we all know that isn't true.

Oh, and Baby Spice has the terrible quandry that her hair doesn't look that good long, but she has a very round face so that wearing a bob won't work either. She should try something around shoulder length.

One other quick thing, for some inexplicable reason long fine blonde hair seems to work better than long fine dark hair. Neither looks great, but blonde doesn't look as bad. Go figure.

JerkyFlea

Related Link:

Ally View Drop Down

JF--

I got all those celeb names from magazine articles, usually interviews with their stylists, who offered advice for women with fine hair. I do realize that straight hair and fine hair are not the same thing. (Gwyneth Paltrow's hair in its straightest incarnation looks fine, but we know it's not.)

What do you suggest for the woman with a very square face and fine, thin hair? If a woman's face shape demands long hair, and her hair is fine and thin, which direction should she lean in?

My own hair is fine but extremely abundant, which is why I first took issue with the sweeping statement that fine hair doesn't look good long. I kinda dig mine. You know?

Ally

Ally View Drop Down

Ellen--

Hi! My own hair is a few inches past the shoulders with bangs and a low front angle. I'm growing out the layers. This is the longest I've ever worn it.

Since my hair is dense in volume and very wavy, I can handle a little more length. I have seen girls with long straight hair who look fabulous. The key seems to be, strangely, getting it long /enough/. Then the length gives it weight and somehow balances it.

I tend to agree with Suzanna: A lot of models seem to have skimpy hair. I think it's an Eastern European trait.

Ally

hamick View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:22am

> I just wanted to add my .02 cents in here since I have
> been pondering this question off and on for several
> years too! I love wearing my hair long, but I guess
> you could say it doesn't love me! I too have fine,
> straight hair that is not overly abundant either.
> Perms just wreck my hair, so that is not an option. I
> recently had my all one length hair that was to the
> middle of my back with bangs cut to shoulder length
> with very subtle layers. When I use a curling iron on
> the ends, the ends tend to flip up, if that helps with
> the layering description. I really like my hair this
> way, even if it is sort of a compromise. I would love
> to have longer hair, but I was constantly battling it
> to not end up looking stringy and flat. I am a natural
> dishwater blonde, so I have highlights weaved in every
> 6 months or so, and the end result is very nice. I
> think I have just resigned myself to the fact that I
> can't really wear long hair!! How is your hair cut,
> Ally?
> Ellen

> JF--

hamick View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:22am

As long as we are throwing in money, here's my 2. The most important thing for thin, fine hair is it looks healthy. If it's to your butt but scraggly CUT IT!! As much as personally dislike bobs nothing thickens thin fine hair like chin lenght bob. Oh ya, just 'cause models do it doesn't make it look good. I see those runway models and I can't decide which they need more...a brush or scissors.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic