Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bangs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bangs
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:23am

Why do so few celebrities and models have bangs? Are bangs passe? Have I just been left in the dark?

Back in the 80s, I thought actress Kerri Green (The Goonies, Lucas, Three for the Road) had the most enviable hair: thick, wavy, and reddish brown with long, full bangs.

Now when I flip through the vanity mags, I see all these too-round faces and Frankenstein foreheads, and I long for bangs to make a comeback....

Ally

MS Laura View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MS Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:23am

I agree! A lot of faces were NOT made to show that much forehead! As my husband says quite often, "How come people lose their mirrors when they get famous? They start off so pretty, then they go crazy with their hair" (or something unprintable to that effect).

bru View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:23am

> Bangs are a major pain! Once you cut them, it will take YEARS to get rid of them, I know I cut my bangs 10 years ago and they look so terrible growing out that I just cut them again. You are better off without them.

Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:23am

bru,

But don't you think so many faces look better /with/ bangs? I'll agree that they're a pain, and they're not the best thing for the the complexion, but some people just /need/ something to break up the line of long hair.

You don't see it?

Ally

silvie90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silvie90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:23am

Ally

you may be glad to learn that bangs are apparently making a comeback this fall/winter season. i read on beautylink.com that long hair trends include more layers, more texture, including bangs. I think bangs definitely look good on some people. Even great on some people. The 1920's film star Louise Brooks (black bob, distinct bangs) created a *classic* look that has been imitated and re-interpreted ever since. but bangs are not for everyone! if you have wavy or curly hair, for example, they can be really unmanageable.

:) silvie

Bru View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:23am

> Ally, I do agree with you that bangs make many faces look better, mine included, I have very long dark hair with bangs, it's just sometimes I would like to try new styles and there they are! I also think that bangs emphasize ones eys.
> Bru

Holly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:24am

Hi Ally,

Yes, I've had the same question in my mind from time to time myself, and most definitely agree. I would even go so far as to say that MOST faces look better with bangs. I read somewhere (it was either a magazine article, or it might have been even here on HB)that they make a face look younger, emphasize eyes, and just look terrific-you just need to find the right style/styles of bangs (there could be more than one style of bangs that look nice on a person) for your hairstyle and preference.

I agree, too, that there are some people who should not have bangs, but I think that's a small amount of people, really. I can't think of anyone who doesn't look nice with bangs.

I think bangs are a classic look-so I don't worry if they are in this year and out the next. I don't think most people that see women with bangs feel their look is passe`.
(Not that you or anyone else implied that was so-these are just my observations on how people see bangs). Am I not correct in thinking this? Do people see bangs as in one year and out the next? I'm talking the man/woman on the street. For example, most people would see the old Pricsilla Presley-dark bubble hair look of 1968 as out of style, but does having bangs when they are so called out of style have the same impact? My opinion is no, but maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe this is a topic for Politics.

Holly

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic