Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bettie Page style bangs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bettie Page style bangs
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:28am

I have my bangs like this (straight, they were short, now in the middle of my forehead..I have dark hair a bit past my shoulders). I think it looks cool, and even though its getting kinda trendy near where I live (la area), every time I read a women's magazine or something like that they always say shorter bangs are always a total "don't". Why is this? I think they look really cool and open up the face...if they are too short they look silly but in the middle of the forehead they do open up my face a lot. WHat are any of you opinions on this hairstyle?

JM View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:28am

I've always been a fan of Bettie!! (You're right, she shoulda been on my list...) In fact, she hails from my hometown, Kingsport, Tennesee. I say if your bang style works for YOU, stick with it. I'd rather look a bit different than everyone else, and look great, than follow the pack. I think those short-style bangs can look great!

ssjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:28am

The Bettie Page bangs can look good, but I think it is a VERY limiting look. Definately not for all women. For an example of a don't (IMO), just look at JF's last column and Sherilyn Fenn. Definately not a flattering look on her.

> I have my bangs like this (straight, they were short,
> now in the middle of my forehead..I have dark hair a
> bit past my shoulders). I think it looks cool, and
> even though its getting kinda trendy near where I live
> (la area), every time I read a women's magazine or
> something like that they always say shorter bangs are
> always a total "don't". Why is this? I think
> they look really cool and open up the face...if they
> are too short they look silly but in the middle of the
> forehead they do open up my face a lot. WHat are any
> of you opinions on this hairstyle?

JT View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:28am

Short bangs has ben very hot here in Sweden for a year or two now. Lots of women have them, and I think they look great on many people. They're getting away now though, but seem to not fade away completely. Probably people have got used to it an like it to much!
Short bangs seems to be underrated in US, maybe you're a bit to conservative... (I thought Sherilyn's bangs were really nice, at least in the pics)

Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:28am

> Short bangs has ben very hot here in Sweden for a year
> or two now. Lots of women have them, and I think they
> look great on many people. They're getting away now
> though, but seem to not fade away completely. Probably
> people have got used to it an like it to much!
> Short bangs seems to be underrated in US, maybe you're
> a bit to conservative... (I thought Sherilyn's bangs
> were really nice, at least in the pics)

I do think we are way too conservative here in the US with many things, hairstyles definitely being one of them. I used to live in London and I loved how people there would try new things with their style.

My bangs are shorter than Sherilyn Fenn's, (and I actually like them on her!) but I don't really look lik her. I'm keeping them for now :)

Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:28am

> The Bettie Page bangs can look good, but I think it is
> a VERY limiting look. Definately not for all women.
> For an example of a don't (IMO), just look at JF's
> last column and Sherilyn Fenn. Definately not a
> flattering look on her.

I think they look nice on her, but mine are actually shorther than that (a bit). I look different than her though...I wish I had a picture to post. I have shoulder length brown hair and I think I have the features to pull off those bangs. I actually look horrible with bnags that go to my eyebrows...they make my face look squished down! I like having no bangs as well, but that gets pretty boring. I really like shorter bangs, they seem more cutting edge than longer ones IMO. and they show off faces much better.

Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:28am

I once heard a rule of thumb: The higher your forehead, the shorter your bangs should be. This definitely holds true for me. I have a high forehead, and I wear my bangs about an inch above my eyebrows. Long bangs look overgrown and sloppy on me.

Ally

Lisa View Drop Down

I totally agree..I like how longer bangs (eyebrown lenth or longer) look on some people, but they look funny on me. They kinda make my face look "squished" down. I like mine also about one inch above my eyebrows.

> I once heard a rule of thumb: The higher your
> forehead, the shorter your bangs should be. This
> definitely holds true for me. I have a high forehead,
> and I wear my bangs about an inch above my eyebrows.
> Long bangs look overgrown and sloppy on me.

> Ally

Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 1:28am

The lesson here is "Don't listen to Everybody." If it works for you, it's right.

Ally

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic