Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Academy Awards - your thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Gord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Academy Awards - your thoughts?
    Posted: March 25 2001 at 9:09pm
Was this the year the freakin` women got together and said, "Screw you all, we`re wearing our hair up or back!" or what? Julia Roberts, Angelina Jolie, Laura Linney, Kate Hudson, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Michelle Yeoh, Winona Ryder, Jennifer Lopez...

My favorite of the bunch: Sarah Jessica Parker. She looked adorable.

Let`s talk about those who didn`t wear their hair up:

Christine Taylor: Mrs. Ben Stiller still looks like Marsha Brady -- and there`s not a dang thing wrong with that in my book.

Joan Allen and Annette Benning: Longer and blonder than we last saw them and looking cute.

Rita Wilson: Consistency doesn`t hurt.

Renee Zellwegger: I`d go for it, if I didn`t know it was a wig.

Hilary Swank: Does anybody like her style? Does she have a style?

Goldie Hawn: Long bangs still really work for her.

Frances McDormand: Actually looked better in the movie than in real life.

Julia Styles: Thanks for looking young.

Ellen Burstyn: The best of the older crowd.

Of course, there are probably about three hours left of the show. So I reserve the right to present an addendum.

Peace

ssjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2001 at 12:12am
Good, Joan Allen, Laura Linney, Marcia Gay Harden

Not so good, Juliette Binoche (was that a feather sticking out of your hair, or was that a really bad cowlick?)
Ashley Judd (you are soooo cute, could your hair be ANY closer to your head?

As far as Jerky Flea is hopefully concerned, this show will not give him much to work with. I`m hoping he has a column ready, and was waiting for any last-minute news before rolling out his new column!
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2001 at 7:48am
Oh no, that awful Julia Roberts updo again. It may have worked for Audrey Hepburn, but in 2001... well, if it were a wig, it would be a perfect fit for the Elephant Man.
Oh, and a memo to Bjork: Lose the swan, take singing lessons but most of all, buy a comb!
phil
lev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2001 at 8:29am
Best Hair:
ex equo: Julia Roberts and Hilary Swank

Worst Hair:
Winona Ryder - what a mess! Cut it all off again darling.
Leanan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2001 at 8:33am
Reply to message: 3.5117.1
Fashion desaster: Coco Lee (luckily she changed for her performance)...and Rita Ryack at the arrival. Goodness!

bad hair:
Winona Ryder - what a shame!
Julia Roberts - though it was nicely done I prefer her with waves/curls.
Juliette Bienoche - fingerwaves gone horribly wrong.
Hilary Swank - there is a bob of everyone...she got someone else`s in that case...
Ashley Judd - what was she trying? Greek Godess? Failed!
Can`t say I liked Annette Bening`s hair. Colour isn`t too bad, just this dishevelled look doesn`t do much for her.

Stephen Gaghan....what the heck is THAT?

lovely hair:
Penelope Cruz - she presented the Oscar for Costume Design.
Sigourney Weaver - she looked really elegant!

Catherine Zeta-Jones looked plain and dull...not really bad hair, but just plain. Something was missing....

My first thoughts...maybe more later

There is not only black and white, there is also grey

Leanan
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2001 at 9:04am
Oh gosh, I HATE that retro `do that Julia Roberts has taken to wearing (must be the fact that I can remember the horrors of `60s hair). I thought Winona Ryder looked cute but I like her short hair better. I am sorry, but I thought Goldie Hawn looked messy and maybe she should consider a new look. She looked pretty cute on Laugh In with short hair. And her daughter`s hair was a disappointment too--looked like a bird`s nest. Judi Dench looked wonderful as usual and Juliette Binoche would have looked good except for that mysterious thing that was hanging out of the side of her head (feather or hair????). Hilary Swank needs to look at pictures of herself at last year`s Oscars. And Catherine Zeta-Jones--well, she`s now a mom and she looks like one. And where was Cameron Diaz? She has been all over the Oscars for the past several years but I didn`t see her at all.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
AggiePam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AggiePam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2001 at 4:55pm
Also hated Julia Roberts hair...TOOOO big in the back. And I think its too plain around her face. She needs curls or something around her face.(bad dress too, as always)

Catherine Zeta Zones, now she is beautiful enough to wear that look, she looked elegant and regal. I especially like the fact that she looks womanly, not frail & rail thin!

Joan Allen has never looked better, great grow out from The Contender. Dress color was fabulous on her!

Hillary S. & Winona...need some help. Hillary, you were growing it out & it looked good what happened?? Winona, maybe you should stop growing it out.

Too many curls on Kate Hudson, looked better at the Golden Globes. I think Goldie looked fine though, she is comfortable with that look & it suits her fine!! I do not think short hair would flatter her at this point in her life.

Sarah J Parker...dress too short for occasion.
I`m laughing too hard to comment on Bjork.
Oh and finally...I thought Annette Bening looked great with that length, style and color!! It reminds me of how pretty she is with longer hair!!
Just my opinions!
Kirsten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirsten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2001 at 6:30pm
I thought Julia looked great - hair and dress
Worst Hair - Kate Hudson (her hair reminded me of the old lady`s in Titanic), and Ashley Judd - with her hair that close to her head all I could notice is how much her ears were sticking out!
Halle Berry (as always) was radiant.
ManneredMoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ManneredMoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2001 at 8:01am
For what its worth, I think that Juliette Binoche and Ashley Judd were going for a 1920s `flapper` look.
Suzie J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzie J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2001 at 1:03pm
Reply to message: 3.5121.1
Re: Bjork

Actually, while when she came on, I called my husband over and look at what I thought was an ostrich.

The woman`s got what I think is a very unique and powerful voice, a super-cute face, and even the hair wasn`t too bad. If she lost the dead swan hanging from her neck, she`d be one of the cutest ladies at the Oscar`s.

Then again, maybe that`s the cheap crack talking.

:0)
~Sue~
JES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2001 at 2:25pm
Reply to message: 3.5134.1
Julia, Julia, Julia - yuk, yuk, yuk
Joan Allen - nice
Kate Hudson - trying to take the ugly title from Julia?
Goldie - time for a change
Winona - get a hiarcut!
Halle - ravishing
Ashley J. - grease pit
overall it was very disappointing - not much going on and most was negative.
martin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2001 at 6:22pm
Reply to message: 3.5117.1
Needless to say, Julia Roberts looked disastrous - what on earth was that hair meant to be doing? Not to mention the awful striped dress, and...is it just me, or did she have *even more* teeth than normal?!? What a sight!

Halle Berry surprised me by looking bad for the first time ever (not counting X-Men) - can`t tell what was wrong though.

But my main point is that I thought Hilary Swank looked FABULOUS!! From the front, it just seemed to be 2 ultra-sleek bits of hair falling either side of her face, but then when she turned you caould see that it was shorter at the back and all extremely smooth and shiny, naking it look intriguing and sexy. I was rather disappointed when she finished presenting her award and waltzed off never to be seen again for the evening.
Spunky Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spunky Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2001 at 6:41pm
Julia Julia Julia...can you puh-leese do something *less* creative with the hair? The dress is high class, tho.

Angelina J .. upset you cut it, but at least you still look smashing.

Katie, dear, invest in a good stylist, one without a passion for birds. You looked like an old country gal.

Catherine, classy as use-ual.

Winona..."let it grow, let it grow, let it grow" Luuved the look actually! Long hair looks good on her.

Mad Maximus, what`s the rebel-without-a-cause Grease `do for? Give up the Fonzi look, it`s old.

Marsha Marsha Christine Taylor, lovely lovely. Who made your dress babe?

Best overall look of the night? Renee Z (wowzer dress) and Juliette Benouche (ditto on the flapper look)

Worst overall hair of the night? The Swank and Ashley Judd. Ick!

Best use of originality .. GO BJORK! I like those who are different.
ssjockey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2001 at 11:17pm
Reply to message: 3.5142.1
Hey, I know he`s busy and all, but I would have thought that Jerky Flea would at least give us a post! I`m going through serious withdrawls. It just isn`t Oscar season any more without JF`s appraisal of the evening!

Come on Jerky, throw us a bone!!!!
Suzie J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzie J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2001 at 6:42pm
Reply to message: 3.5142.1
quote:

Spunky Girl originally wrote:
Julia Julia Julia...can you puh-leese do something *less* creative with the hair? The dress is high class, tho.

Angelina J .. upset you cut it, but at least you still look smashing.

Katie, dear, invest in a good stylist, one without a passion for birds. You looked like an old country gal.

Catherine, classy as use-ual.

Winona..."let it grow, let it grow, let it grow" Luuved the look actually! Long hair looks good on her.

Mad Maximus, what's the rebel-without-a-cause Grease 'do for? Give up the Fonzi look, it's old.

Marsha Marsha Christine Taylor, lovely lovely. Who made your dress babe?

Best overall look of the night? Renee Z (wowzer dress) and Juliette Benouche (ditto on the flapper look)

Worst overall hair of the night? The Swank and Ashley Judd. Ick!

Best use of originality .. GO BJORK! I like those who are different.

Hey Spunky Girl!

I agree that Renee Z looked fabulous, but her hair really bugged me, for one reason...

She just recently cut it in a chin length bob with bangs, and then she shows up with shoulder length waves????

Had to be extensions or a wig, which just seems like cheating to me.

Other than that, she looked great. Very old-style hollywood glamour.
~Sue~
Mars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2001 at 12:15pm
Someone wrote that Angelina Jolie cut her hair? I didn`t know I thought she wore it up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic