Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Grammy Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Layers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Grammy Hair
    Posted: February 23 2003 at 11:19pm
My vote goes unanimously to Michelle Branch.
Gord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2003 at 11:55pm
Didn't see the whole show, but I give Thumbs Up to...

1. Kelly Rowland - Her hair has surpassed Beyonce's in my book. Of course, I'm smitten with her, so listing her "best of show" probably isn't fair. Was Beyonce there by the way? That simulated burning stage wasn't exactly a class act in light of the recent deaths in club fires, was it?

2. Sheryl Crowe - Just so lovely and classy looking.

3. Faith Hill - Loved her hair when she was singing, but then why did she have it up when accepting the award?

4. Kylie Minogue - Goodness, she's cute.

5. Martie Seidel - I know I'll probably get crap for this, but Martie looked about as good as you could with a ponytail and bangs. Cutest of the Dixies on this night.

6. Naomi Campbell - Glad she had her long hair on for the occasion.

7. Gwen Stefani - Didn't get a drastic haircut, which is good.

8. Alicia Keyes - First time I saw her without braids. Very nice! Looked especially good standing next to Cyndi Lauper.

Thumbs Down to...

3. Pink - Keep the color if you want, but please let your hair gow out again.

2. Avril Lavigne - Saw her wearing a stupid hat. Lose the stupid hat.

1. Eryka Badu - What a disaster. Her afro was probably the best part about her tonight. Wearing that "Dead Prez" shirt was just classless. And not being able read her lines was more stupid than Avril's hat.

Non-Hair Moment:
Why would the Grammy folks pick Aretha Franklin to give away a main award of the night? What is everyone's opinion of Aretha -- aside from her singing? Living in the Detroit area, she's an icon. BUT, we also read news daily sometimes about how she fails to pay for services. She hires a limo an stiffs the driver. She has thousands of dollars of work at her home and doesn't pay the contractor. Recently, there was a fire at one of her home and she let it sit and sit and sit, despite objections from local building inspectors. It took forever for her to give a statement to fire inspecors. The contractors don't want to give her an estimate on the work because she doesn't pay them. It's like she's above the law. Has any of this info about Aretha made national or international news? If not, now you know. And, oh yeah, her hair looked like it always does.
Tara R. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tara R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2003 at 1:14am
Avril Lavigne - OMG did you see her hair? It looked positively damaged. You could see little frizz around the halo and although she seems to be a very pretty girl, she looked terrible. Who dressed her? Even more importantly, who did the sound bites for the show? You could barely hear her singing.

Jane F. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane F. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2003 at 1:24am
Mrs. Bruce Springstein - Patti - looked great for 50 something. Her hair looked healthy and a great shade of red. Much better than past blonde washout colors.

Kim Cattrall's hair looked a lot better IMO last nite than at the Golden Globes.

Gwen was a little over the top and at first glance I thought she had shaved her sides. Whew. Only hair grease.

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2003 at 9:11am
I didn't like any of the hair. Way too over the top even though I know it was the Grammys and it is supposed to be over the top. I really hate how fake and unnatural those styles looked though. India Arie (not sure if I spelled that correctly) actually looked better with an almost shaved head though.

Gord, as far as Aretha goes, the news about her exploitation of anyone who does work for her hasn't made the national news but it doesn't surprise me. I read her autobiography and it was a real self involved thing. The whole book explained how she had never made a single mistake in her life (even though she has several illegitimate kids and has been married multiple times) and any problem she had with anyone else in the business (there were many) were not her fault. Doesn't sound like a very nice person to me.
bigbutt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2003 at 9:14am
Sheryl Crowe looked great. Kid Rock looked like he had a mullet as he was performing... but it was the lighting. Would have been fun if he would have though.
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2003 at 12:07pm
Gord,
Since I'm from S.C. I would have pick James Brown!
andy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2003 at 12:29pm
I didn't see the show, but based on the clips from the debriefing on "CBS This Morning" I would agree that I was unimpressed by virtually all the styles.... unflattering, boring, and in some cases just plain odd. The exception was the classy Norah Jones, who looked gorgeous without making any effort, showing off her standard long, natural curls. Faith Hill looked good too, though I only saw her from the side.

Other than that, though, doesn't look like I missed much...
Durango View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2003 at 2:24pm
Gotta disagree on Faith Hill. Don't get me wrong--I think she's one of the ten hottest gals on the planet. But it just wasn't her night. The hairstyle was so-so, but what really got me was the color. Yeah, we all know that any resemblance to the color she was born with is purely coincidental, but does it have to look so obviously bleached?

She is also getting blasted on the boards for makeup, the too-short dress, and an awful singing performance.
Durango
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2003 at 9:33pm
Martina McBride wins my vote. I thought she looked hot in the short pixie cut but this longer version is even better. I just hope she doesn't try the long hair look again. She is so much better with shorter hair.
Durango View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durango Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2003 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by loveshort&blonde loveshort&blonde wrote:

Martina McBride wins my vote. I thought she looked hot in the short pixie cut but this longer version is even better. I just hope she doesn't try the long hair look again. She is so much better with shorter hair.

LS&B--I'll second the motion. She was the class act of the night, too.

Durango
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2003 at 8:30pm
Gord

No I don't think anyone outside of Detroit did hear about Aretha acting bad to people. I asked my fiancee and a couple of other people I know who follow the music scene if they knew that Aretha did those things and no one heard of it.

The reason she was picked for the awards is that she really is the "Queen of Soul".

She is more my parents generation than mine but most people I know in their twenties know about Aretha and love her music.

There has been no soul singer as good as her in recent years, not even Whitney Houston(talk about an irresponsible mess!) or my favorite Toni Braxton.

Aretha is like Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, or Paul McCartney. Even younger people know of them, they are legends.
Lady Maria
Gord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2003 at 10:18pm
This article should give you a sense of her recent history.

http://www.detnews.com/2003/metro/0301/24/d01-67911.htm

This one was titled, "Why doesn't Aretha pay her bills?

http://ww.freep.com/news/metro/qaretha15.htm

This fascinating sidebar -- from 1999 -- tells who was suing Aretha and how she hadn't paid her taxes in awhile:

http://www.frep.com/news/metro/qsuit15.htm

I apologize if this seems off topic, but I appreciate this opportunity to expose Ms. Franklin for what she is... In addition to that, she wore some fake looking blonde hair to a recent show of some sort. There, back on topic!
Lady Maria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady Maria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2003 at 11:08pm
That's too bad about Aretha, I always thought she was just such a great musician and singer.

I know she has let herself go, she is quite honestly, very fat, and now it seems as if her morals and other aspects of her life are going downhill too.

Not very classy. And not much like the daughter of a minister.

It really is too bad, although I will always like the best of her music.
Lady Maria
Xcountrykuhl View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xcountrykuhl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2003 at 5:05pm
yeah, what was up with faith? i know this is a little late, but i remeber watching her performance and having to mute it b/c i thought she did so bad, and i usually love her!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2003 at 6:12pm
Interesting info on Aretha Gord. I too was a big fan but when you hear about all her personal issues it kinda makes the music less appealing. And her hair has always been dreadful.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Melba View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2003 at 6:16pm
Aretha is still the greatest singer in r&b. But c'mon 'retha, please get your act together. You and your devoted fans deserve better!
A little R E S P E C T for all of us Aretha!
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2003 at 8:40pm
Well said!
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic