Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Highlighting hell!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CarrieM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarrieM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Highlighting hell!
    Posted: December 13 2000 at 2:45am
Early this past summer, I went to a salon I had never been to before because I wanted to get my hair re-highlighted. I was too impatient to wait for my appointment at a salon I frequented that was later in the week. Instead of foiling like I requested, the stylist pulled ALL my hair through a cap, insisting it was the same as foiling (which it`s not), despite the fact I questioned her several times. I ended up with a horrible head of WAY too light yellow-blonde pineapple-colored hair, with slight roots, and even more at my neck because of the cap (I still cringe when i think of what it looked like). Being nice, I told the stylist I liked it (she said it looked great), and, still in shock, I tried to convince myself I just needed to get used to it. I called the salon later that night because I realized I hated it (it looked terrible), and they were very rude to me, telling me that I had said I liked it there, so why didn`t I like it later that night? I ended up going back and talking to a manager, who said she could fix the color if I wanted, but she could not give me a refund. No way was I going to let them touch my hair again, so I ended up going to another salon (twice) in order to get lowlights to cover up and blend in most of the color. THEY didn`t do that great of a job either, although at the time I was thrilled not to have pineapple-colored hair. I spent over $200 on my hair within a week or so, just because I could not wait to get it colored at a place I trusted. The moral of this story: NEVER, EVER get your hair done, especially colored, at a place you aren`t familiar with. And NEVER, EVER let the stylist do something you know isn`t right, and ask lots of questions to make sure they know what they`re doing. The only people I trust with my hair are a few at a good salon in the town where I go to school. Great hairstylists truly are one in a hundred, so when you find one you really like, stick with them because it`s hard to find another.
forest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2000 at 7:52pm
Reply to message: 7.789.1
Hi Carrie:

You are so right. Hair coloring is truly an art. Sometimes people just don`t realize how educated a hairstylist is. One thing about haircoloring is that not all hairdressers can do it well. Your first mistake, as you have admitted, is not sticking to the salon that pleases you. I know you must have been in a hurry wanting to get the highlights done as quickly as possible and went to another salon not wanting to wait for the first salon to do it. Next, you should have had a clue when the new stylist wouldn`t do a foil weave saying a cap highlight would be just the same. As you know it isn`t. Next you should have been up-front with her and told her you really didn`t like the color right at the time she finished she might have been able to do something right then to fix it. You really have paid a high price to find out how much you trust your first salon. I am sorry you had to go through all the trauma. I personally teach cosmetology and I know not all hairdressers are equal. Better stick to the one you trust.

Happy Hairdressing in your future. Forest
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic