Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The worst product in the world?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The worst product in the world?
    Posted: January 20 2003 at 8:07am
Hello everyone. If you're bored and feeling creative, here's a question for you:

What is the absolute worst hair product you've ever tried, and why was it so wretched?

My vote:
Special FX Straight Out gel. I was in Washington, D.C. during the hottest part of July when I first tried this thick, pink gel. My then-shoulder-length hair was the greasiest, heaviest wreck of snarls the Metro has ever seen. I have pictures of me standing in the subway with hair that still embarasses me.

What's yours?
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
caro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2003 at 2:55am
panthene shampoo, the old formula, really really awful, it ruined my waist length hair.
Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2003 at 5:09pm
Hey!
I agree about Pantene- it was the conditioner for me, tho...I saw all of these commercials about it and everyone said that it was the best, so I caved in and bought it. Every time I used it, it seemed that some hair would fall right out of my head; not the couple 2-3 strands you normally get when you condition, and not exactly in handfuls, but a LOT. I used it for about three weeks (thinking there was something wrong me ME), and my hair got noticably thinner. Then I stopped using that junk, and it stopped falling out. I`ve known a couple of other people who have had similar experiences with it. :(

Thanx for the story, Lyris....made me smile. :)

Love to all,
Inga
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2003 at 9:25pm
Hi Inga! Nice to chat with you again. My HAIR would`ve made you laugh! Or feel compelled to buy me a bottle of industrial-strength shampoo. :-)
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2003 at 11:39am
Rave Perm.

Back in the Big Hair 80s, my sister-in-law decided that she wanted one since several of her friends had it and talked about how great a product it was. The rods weren`t even fully out when we realized we had made a HUGE mistake! Her hair felt sticky and gummy - and we followed the directions to the letter and even left the solution on shorter than recommended. It took MANY conditioning treatments and trims to return her hair to anything resembling normal. As for her friends, they all suddenly got pixie haircuts.

Awful stuff :( but a fun topic, Lyris. ;)
Merlin
Booie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2003 at 1:17pm
over the counter ....SUN IN .......... that stuff should be banned ! lol ...A hairdressers life would be so much easer!!!!... lol
NO MORE HENNA`S..LOL
....I was bored thanks Lrie`s!!!!
Booie
Booie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2003 at 1:21pm
I mean Lyri`s .....my spelling & typing stink`s ..LOL
Booie
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2003 at 5:12am
Oh this list could go on and on.......

Rave perm and sun-in (my teens were a study in hair diasters) Clairol Balsam hair color in black. All Pantene, Suave and WHite Rain products. Aqua Net. Dep gel. And last, but not least, any home hair relaxer. Don't do that at home!!!! My loose wavy hair became a flat lifeless mess!

jacqui
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2003 at 7:20am
I had forgotten about Sun-in. Sheesh, what a wreck. In the dead of winter during my high school freshman year I took a bottle of that godforsaken stuff and a blow dryer to my medium brown hair. Apparently I didn't realize that crossing guard-orange is NOT a stylish color choice for natural brunettes....or anyone, for that matter. I had two teachers, a track coach and my band director all comment on my "new" hair color. You know it's pretty bad when the best descriptor they can muster is "new." Yeeeech!
Isla Q. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isla Q. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2003 at 10:16am
Is pantène really that bad? I've used it a few times and did notice anything strange. I have noticed though, that pantène is on sale more than any other hair product in my local drugstore.

A product I definitely did not like was by Henna Plus, I don't remember what it's called, something like "Hair repair" I think. Now THAT did make my hair fall out, it took all the shine away and it was really sticky! Won't be using that again!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2003 at 10:20am
Hi Isla. Consumers have a real love-hate relationship with Pantene. It is by no means a deadly, hair-destroying brand for every user, but it certainly has its wealth of problems. The shampoos tend to be on the harsh side, which is problematic for dry hair, and the conditioners can cause significant buildup due to their film formers and silicone-derivatives. The conditioners won't hurt your hair, but without a good, thorough shampoo they can weigh down fine hair. I used Pantene only briefly during my second year in college and have since discovered lines that I like better.
Booie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2003 at 6:28pm
do you remeber when people thaught the horse shampoo Main & Tail was the greatest cheapest stuff ?...............Thats when i seem to remeber panteen being poular too .....bye the way ....Lyris
multie colered hair desaster needs help real bad and you are sooooo good wih words they are talkin sun in !!! hope ya get this in time ...
Booie
wittils View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wittils Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2003 at 11:26pm
My husband uses the Mane and Tail conditioner.... He seems to believe it is good stuff. But I snuck a bit and my hair frizzed, so that was that. Has anyone else had good or bad results with it?
Precious is the day... it happens only once in a lifetime.
Booie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2003 at 12:19pm
hi Wittils, I only used it on my horse's......but I do remember getting a worning at the shop from the matrix co. I think but dont realy member any way our rep said that it caused problems in perming because of the lanelin in it ......I'm not sure what the problems were ........butt I do know once a man's mind is set its hard to change it..lol ...J/K
Booie
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2003 at 8:04pm
I too had a disaster with Sun-In. Back in 1970, the summer before my freshman year in high school, I spent a week at the beach with a bottle of Sun-In and my best friend. We believed we were looking good and even put it on our eyebrows to "match" them to our hair. Imagine the distress when we realized what we had done. And back then 14 year old girls did not color their hair or go to the salon (our mothers were still doing the once a week shampoo, set, tease, spray routine so styling and color were iffy at best). So I spent an entire year growing it out. My head was a stripe for a long time.

My daughter tried it at about the same age and had beautiful results. She has great hair though and at least going to the salon for color correction was an option for her.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2003 at 3:57pm
IMHO - Aveda products.
The most money I have ever wasted on hair products.

Specifically:
> Blue Malva shampoo & conditioner
> Brilliant shampoo & conditioner
> Purefume shampoo
> Deep conditioning treatment

My purse said "Ouch".
My hair said "You've dried me out - don't use that stuff on me ever again !!!"

I said "OK".
Uzi

Ingrid16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ingrid16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2003 at 2:30am
Another one that stinks...
Physique products (or at least the couple I've tried).
They don't work at all!!!!! They say that it gives you 20 hour hold...it didn't last 20 minutes.
Oh, well, at least its not expensive. Live & learn! :)
If I had wings then I could take you in
I'd stay on the ground and show you some things
The grass is strewn with blades of gold
all sights and sounds I have been told
all hopes, desires, seem to sing
Leslie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2003 at 12:47am
I posted a question on the "getting black out" thread a few days ago and nobody has responded, so I hope someone sees this one! You guys seem to agree that Sun-In is horrible...what does it do? I had planned on using it to keep my hair blonde by using a little bit every couple of weeks on my roots, but maybe that's a bad idea.

Also, I don't know if there's a thread about this, but what are the best products out there? Specifically, conditioners and deep conditioners? I guess I'm just asking what your experiences have been. =)
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2003 at 7:43am
Hi Leslie,

First off, what is your hair like right now? Naturally or colored blonde, dry, frizzy, long, healthy, curly, wavy, etc? Speaking from personal experience, Sun In is a product that warrents serious introspection and caution. Hydrogen peroxide is the lightening ingredient, and while it can help blonde hair lighten up, it comes with a price. The lift process is damaging--that's an inescapable fact, as with virtually all permanent processes.

People who get the scariest results from Sun In are typically medium to dark brunettes whose hair turns orange, not blonde. To go platinum a brunette must use a two-step process, meaning first strip the naturally dark color then apply a toner (blonde color.) Sun In alone cannot lift brown hair all the way to blonde--it stops at about tangerine orange.

As for good shampoos/conditioners, it really depends on your hair type and what you want your hair to do. If your hair is dry, look for shampoos without harsh surfactants such as sodium lauryl (not laureth) sulfate, TEA-lauryl sulfate and sodium c14-16 alkyl benzoate. My personal recommendations: Redken All Soft and Phyto Systeme Hydro-Botanics. As for conditioners, I love Aura Cherry Almond Bark revitalizing conditioner, Frizz Ease Glistening Creme and Mizani Moisturefuse. Good luck Leslie!
Leslie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2003 at 6:36pm
Well, I went to the beauty college today and spent two hours under a "virgin bleach," after which my roots were albino blonde and the rest had remnants of my red tones. After toning, it was more blonde, but my roots are still horribly light...I'm going back on Thursday and they're going to try a darker tone. Naturally my hair is getting darker, but is still pretty light brown.

Overall, now I'm bleach blonde (so it's a bit coarse). Also, it's naturally slighly curly on the bottom layers but flat on the top. It almost reaches my shoulderblades and is layered, and pretty thick. When I do style it I usually blow-dry it straight and flip the ends one way or another. If I don't dry it, it gets pulled back into a pony tail or half up and dries kinda curly.

As far as the sun-in goes, I wanted to use it very gradually, so I guess I'll just see how it works for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic