Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The worst product in the world?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Savage Gardener View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Savage Gardener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2003 at 5:59pm
Sun-In is the tool of the devil! The orangeness - it's like you've been Tangoed!
Brittany T. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brittany T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2003 at 1:18am
Yes Sun-in is horrible. Will all those ruined by Sun-in at some point in their lives please raise their hands, er click their mouses? I know I was quilty and it destroyed my hair. UGH. Shudder.
Brittany T. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brittany T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2003 at 1:18am
Yes Sun-in is horrible. Will all those ruined by Sun-in at some point in their lives please raise their hands, er click their mouses? I know I was quilty and it destroyed my hair. UGH. Shudder.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2003 at 4:31pm
My hair has never been ruined......But I have Fixed or in some unfortunate cases, Atempted to Fix Sun-In disasters, many, many, times though out the years.

Color On, My Artistically Inthusiastic Friends.
Carole View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2003 at 12:08pm
Hi Leslie,

Best products out there? It depends on who you talk to and what type of hair you have. Some people with undamaged, healthy hair can use drugstore products with very good results. Others who have problem/sensitive hair or who have chemically processed hair may need to use salon quality brands like Redken, Phyto, Rene Furterer, Artec or Aveda. Again, it depends on your own circumstances.

There really is no "best" hair care products but what is best is what works for you and hair type. The first step should be to figure out your own hair's type and needs. If your hair is healthy and has not been chemically processed you can experiment with Aura (sold at Sally Beauty) or Alberto Culver (some of them are good) or Redken.

If your hair is damaged, chemically processed, fried or has special needs, you might try some of the salon brands like Redken, Paul Mitchell, Aveda, Phyto or Furtherer. A lot depends on the length of your hair as well.

Carole
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2003 at 8:10pm
One of my "worst" would be Matrix Amplify Shampoo and Conditioner.
I tested the ph on these and the shampoo was an 8.5 ph and the conditioner was a 3 ph.
An 8.5 is equivalant to a perm.
In other words, the shampoo blows open the cuticle than slams it shut with the conditioner.
This really reeks havoc on your hair.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2003 at 7:33am
Originally posted by LiliBeach LiliBeach wrote:

One of my "worst" would be Matrix Amplify Shampoo and Conditioner.
I tested the ph on these and the shampoo was an 8.5 ph and the conditioner was a 3 ph.
An 8.5 is equivalant to a perm.
In other words, the shampoo blows open the cuticle than slams it shut with the conditioner.
This really reeks havoc on your hair.

Good grief!!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2003 at 9:59am
Wow. Good to know!
Laine1998 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laine1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2003 at 4:23pm
As for sun-in,

I've used it numerous times a few years back. My hair was a medium color blonde (its darkened over the years, it was white when I was a baby.) I guess it really determines on what your hair color was before you used it. I would be somewhat hesitant to use it now because my hair is now a dark blonde/light brown color now.

But then again, I was still in high school, so I might of thought it looked good..but that doesn't mean too much
Tap Dancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tap Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2003 at 5:39pm
Sorry to disagree with you guys, but I *LOVE* Pantene and I use it all the time. My hair is really thick and Pantene makes it soft and silky.

I don't like Physique. I got some samples and they made my hair flat and hard to comb through.
[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/yerdumm/tapdancer2.gif" />
wheeler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2003 at 3:21pm
I really hate all and any hairgel that is neon colored and has all those little bubbles in it. I must admit, it looks neat, but it leaves your hair hard as a brick. I used to dance when I was younger and I remember going through bottles of dep. That stuff sure holds very, very well but it takes ages for all the residue to finally rinse out of your hair no matter how many times you shampoo.
Until you value yourself, you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.
- M. Scott Peck
Hairworker View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hairworker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2003 at 1:09pm
Prell shampoo is horrible. Hairstylists use it to remove dyes that are too dark. It would probably eat paint off an automobile. Cheap, rotten and horrible. But a pretty green. :-)
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 5:04am
and it smells good too, I remember using it now and again as a teen.
[/url]

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2003 at 11:14am
My husband still uses Prell--the original formula, not the new ones. I use it occasionally when I want a real clairfying shampoo. It really takes everything out.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
turquoise_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turquoise_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2003 at 2:20pm
Well, i don't know what is the WORST product i've used but about the Sun-In mentioned above...
I have golden brown hair and decided a couple of years ago that it would be great to make my hair a little more golden(but not blonde). So i just read the directions about spraying it on and sitting in the sun. I sprayed it on and then smoothed it all through with my hands. It was winter so i used a blow dryer(another option on the bottle). It didn't work at all. The worst part is that i woke up the next morning and the skin on the palms of my hands was burnt and peeling off. I had never seen the part that said "avoid contact with skin". so if it burns my skin that bad- what does it do to your hair!?!:)
Kgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 10:48am
Hi Lyris,

I think the worst product(s) in the world have to be Herbal Essences anything. I absolutely despise the sickly sweet flower smell, and the shampoos strip the life out of my hair. :( It's weird, because when I was a freshman in high school, I used that an entire year and it made my hair so soft and shiny. Now it just sucks.

Good topic! :D
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2003 at 9:25pm
I agree kgirl!!!

That stuff is horrible!
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Karrinne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karrinne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 6:49pm
Sun in, the summer of 75.
Dishwater blonde hair, almost waist length.
Lightened to sunny California girl blonde.
Fall of 75.
Sunny blonde hair.
Fried. Broken off. Shoulder length.
Oh. Dear. Lord.
NEVER again!!!
Home perm, the next summer.
Same results as sun in.
NEVER again.
hair today/hair tomorrow/hair always
??/37/52
See my hair at http://karrinne1960.tripod.com
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2003 at 11:15am
I have used Sun-In, but it's definitely not for everyone!

I have natural blonde hair, and during the winter when it got a little darker (from obviously not being in the sun as much), I would spray a little bit on, and it worked very well!

However, I've been told by numerous stylists that a combination of Sun-In and a perm = chemical haircut....(the combo makes your hair fall out)

But I think if it's used on virgin blonde hair, it can be okay for some.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2003 at 7:12pm
Hi Karrinne,

You have lovely hair. Thanks for the image.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic