Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the best products u have ever used

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sweetie02 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetie02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the best products u have ever used
    Posted: April 08 2003 at 8:12pm
what r the best products you have ever used? to the blondes like myself, sheerblonde products work great, and breck shampoo is the best!!! and i use pantene, and i don't see anything wrong w/ it. now, finess shampoo is ok, but is it great? i want y'all's opinions on all of the stuff above lol
dingojunction View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingojunction Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2003 at 12:11am
One of my favorite hair products is Clairol Herbal essences conditioner balm for very dry hair.It works for my very thick dry hair. I also love Mane N' Tail conditioner as it also works for my type of hair.Also I love Herbal essences hair color line.I just dyed my medium brown hair a lovely bright red shade and the results were very good.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2003 at 2:11pm
Shikakai & coconut oil.
Amazing results - thick, glossy, clean & conditioned hair.
Not a synthesized chemical in sight.
Cheap.
Uzi

SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 4:25pm
What is Shikakai & coconut oil? I've never heard of it.
Are those 2 separate products, or one thing?

Is it something I could get in a health food store? I've been using jojoba oil for about 6 months now, and I really like it. Though it is a little heavy.

Is Shikakai & coconut oil better?

Thanks!
Traci
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2003 at 5:23pm
Finesse has ammonium lauryl sulfate, a very drying chemical, which is why I recently got rid of a 90% full bottle I had. It seems ok when you use it once in a while, but with repeated use it can be damaging to dry hair.

At the risk of being repetitive: I love Redken All-Soft Shampoo and Conditioner. There is simply nothing like it out there.

I also like Nexxus Humectress and Aussie 3 minute miracle conditioners.

I love Avalon Lavender Shampoo and Conditioner.

Loreal Colorvive shampoo and conditioner are good and light on the pocketbook.

Gels: Biolage Glaze (very light), and Loreal Studio

Leave in conditioner: Redken Anti-Snap, Jingles protein spray

Bing View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2003 at 2:21am
My favs include PhytoMousse Volume shampoo & PhytoVolume Actif or Matrix Amplify shampoo & gel or Matrix Vavoom products.
Tap Dancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tap Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2003 at 9:20am
My favorites are:

Pantene Daily Moisture Renewal Shampoo
Pantene Daily Moisture Renewal Conditioner
Pantene Deep Fortifying Treatment
Redken All Soft Shampoo
Aveda Curessence Deep Conditioner
[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/yerdumm/tapdancer2.gif" />
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2003 at 6:23am
I have been using a conditioner called, Big Sexy Hair. it is awesome. Also Love Aveda Curresence and Matrix smooth and Artec Shine Spray. The last two do a great job of taking out the frizz without drying.

jacqui
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2003 at 8:11am
I must echo the sentiments of those in love with All Soft. I can't tell if it's just the scent I love or the effect it has on my dry hair.

Other great products for dry hair: Aura Almond Cherry Bark conditioner, the entire Biotera line, Frizz Ease Glistening Creme and Tresemme European Melting gel, which I can no longer find anywhere in Michigan.

I've been meaning to try Redken's Outshine. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about it.
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2003 at 10:09am
Traci

Shikakai is a plant from the acacia family. It's pods are dried and ground up into a powder, packeted and sold as an all-natural hair-cleanser.
To use Shikakai, you make it into a paste with water and apply to hair and scalp. Leave for 5 minutes and rinse off. There is no lather, no strong smell - and yet your hair and scalp are perfectly clean.
Before using Shikakai, you do a heavy oiling with coconut oil and leave it in overnight (sleep on an old towel so that your pillow doesn't get oiled up).
Also, after washing with Shikakai, use a little coconut oil for conditioning the lower lengths of your hair.

This is how Indian and Pakistani women grow very long, healthy and un-split hair - traditionally.

I've been using this combination for a while now and it is really cheap and really effective. You can get both products in eastern grocery stores.

The problem is I now have a bathroom cupboard full of expensive Phytotherathrie and Kerastase hair products which I am never going to use. I thought I would alternate the synthetic products with the natural products, but it was no good.
The natural stuff works better for my hair.
Uzi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2003 at 4:01pm
Wow, Uzma. I've never heard of anything like that. It sounds great. I may have to find a local middle eastern market.
How often do you do this routine? And what do you use the rest of the time? (I'm assuming you don't do this every time you wash your hair.)

And while I'm being nosy... how long is your hair?

Have you tried jojoba oil? You like coconut oil better?

I need to stop asking questions now, because I feel like an obnoxious 3 year old.

Thanks for your advice!
Traci
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 1:19pm
Hi Honey

Happy to answer your questions - we're all here to share and learn together after all.

I do this routine twice a week and I don't use anything else.
You will probably have more luck finding this stuff in an Indian grocery rather than a Middle-Eastern one.

My hair is shoulder length and as I intend never to cut it again, I have to take very good care of it. This routine + air-drying hair and using a seamless comb is the best care combination that I have found.

I didn't get on with Jojoba oil - it made my locks crunchy and dry. I find coconut more moisturising. If I had to pick an alternative to coconut I would go for avocado or almond oils - which I have used previously to good effect. But for me coconut is the oil of choice.

Long, healthy hair forever!!!!

Take care

Uzma
Uzi

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2003 at 10:07pm
Hi Uzma.

I think I'll have to try that. I bet the coconut oil smells good, too. :) I have had success with jojoba oil, though, so maybe we just have different hair types.

Did you cut your hair short just so you could start with a fresh head of healthy hair to grow long? I've thought about doing that for years now, but I don't think I'd have the patience. My hair grows so painfully slow. I'm already at bra length, so it pains me to think about cutting it back, even if it is a little frizzy.

4 years ago, I used to work as lifeguard in Florida. I was in the sun 5 days a week from sunrise to sunset, and I was constantly in and out of the chlorine water. My hair was just a rat's nest and I often thought of just shaving my head and then never getting it cut again.
Ways to Shock and Horrify Your Mother, Chapter One.

I'm sure your hair will turn out long and beautiful and stunning, and will be worth the wait.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Cheers,
Traci
as View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote as Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 10:02pm
d
christyleigh View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christyleigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2003 at 10:07pm
The best shampoos
All soft Reken..it''s in my shower right now!
Origins Ginger shampoo and conditoner and also the Rich Rewards Deep Conditioner that smells like banana coconut souflee! You use it once a week and it keeps your hair silky and shiny!

Also...the very best straightener I have ever used was Redken One2One Smooth Anti Frizz...but it was discontinued! It was such an awesome product I''m not sure why they did that. I live in very humid climate and it kept my hair stick straight. *sigh* does anyone know where I might be able to find some bottles floating around?? I''ve looked all over the internet. I use Matrix Smooth...but it just doesn''t do the same job ...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2003 at 9:40am
I agree christyleigh! Origins Rich Rewards is the best deep conditioner I've ever used. I was deterred at first, because the container says it's not for fine hair. I don't know what it's talking about. Maybe it's just not for BABY fine hair.

One bad thing about Rich Rewards is that stupid tub it comes in. Once you've dipped your fingers in and gotten the product on your hand, good luck closing the tub without dropping either the tub or the product! Grrrr.

But my hair is aways in great shape for several days after using Rich Rewards. I'll definitely buy it again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic