Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is a hair trend of the past that you hope never comes back in style?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is a hair trend of the past that you hope never comes back in style?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is a hair trend of the past that you hope never comes back in style?
    Posted: April 18 2003 at 9:35pm
I was just remembering crimped hair the other day. I once crimped my hair for school picture day in junior high. Late 80s. I thought it looked so cool.

What was everyone thinking back then? We WANTED to look like frizz bombs? And it took FOREVER to do your whole head of hair.

What hair trends of the past do you hope to never see again?
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2003 at 10:31am
Oh, absolutely ANYTHING from the 80s! What a weird decade...the other day I saw someone with their shirt tied to the side with a scrunchie and I about passed out.

The female mullet is a close second!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
Isla Q. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isla Q. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2003 at 11:33am
Great topic!

I think all mullets should be banned forever, male or female! Also: poodle perms, yikes!
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2003 at 6:02pm
Mall Bangs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2003 at 11:53pm
Oh my. Yes, there are too many women still going around with the female mullet. Long in back, short and poufy on top. I guess that's a hard style to rid yourself of. No real option but to cut it all short.

Do people with mullets not have mirrors or something?
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2003 at 10:39am
Frizzy perms. Yuck!
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Tap Dancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tap Dancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2003 at 8:37pm
Gotta agree about the mullet. They don't look good on ANYONE, in my opinion.
[IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n89/yerdumm/tapdancer2.gif" />
MightyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MightyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2003 at 10:17pm
I'm glad the "Dirty Dancing" perm is out of style. Nothing was worse than seeing all these poofed out piles of curl on the back of a girls head.
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 1:29pm
what are mall bangs? are they bangs that are cut straight across? i've actually never heard that term before..

but my thing: side-swiped pony-tails.. I remember that was the way I would wear my hair to school. move most of the hair to one side of the head and make a ponytail that would jut out from one side of the head.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 4:03pm
LOL Purple!

I used to wear my hair in a side ponytail! I have a photo of myself in 1989, wearing my New Kids on the Block t-shirt, and my hair in a high side ponytail.

I think mall bangs are like when they're all poofy on top. Kinda like you have a Furby on your head or something.
papillon_purple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papillon_purple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 4:08pm
aah.. poofy bangs.. yeah, I can totally see that... poofy bangs, side ponytail, leg warmers, big sweatshirt with leggings.. hehe..
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 6:46pm
LOL, I remember hair shows in the late 80's...We're not just talking poofy bangs...I swear some of the Hair Stylists had bangs 5" high...Straight up. High Hair! and S P R A Y E D to the maxx with PM's Freeze and Shine.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 7:04pm
That spiky thang that Bowie had going on - and half of London followed suit.

Much stiffened by the sneaky use of Mothers' Elnett and usually allowed to collect dust and dirt.

Teenagers who didn't care to maintain it would come to school having slept on the (previously) crisp spikes. They would have flat parts where they had slept on it. Then the girls (for it was mostly boys who took up this style) would try and help their class-mates resurrect the fallen, flattened spikes with diluted glue.

Don't laugh - we didn't have gel in those days and our pocket money didn't extend to cans of hairspray.

Please God, never again.
Uzi

LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 10:29pm
Other "older" stylist in the forum will know this one.

TRANSFER PERMS

aaaaggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!
Run for your lives!!!!

Another one.........The Boz!!!!
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 4:55pm
You mean when we transfered hair from rod to roller before Neutralizing? Good consept, But what a pain In the ***!

Hey, what about Root perms?? We would wrap the hair just at the base and leave the ends out...with some kind of spray conditioner on them...And if it wasn't long enough for that we would use a specially designed end wrap (Plastic coating on one side and minerals on the paper side) to keep the solution from curling the hair.

All this so the hair would have lift at the base and straight spiky ends.....Those darn 80's again.***sigh... those were the days***
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 4:57pm
BTW Lil, what is the Boz???
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 6:46pm
The Boz was a popular haircut made famous by the football player Brian Bozwell. It was spiked on the top with buzzed sides and a thick rat tail in the back.

Ding, Ding Ding This hairstyle, circa 1984, was what started the rat tail craze. When I started doing hair in 1986, it was stongly stated that the rat tail was OUT. Gee, think of all these idiots out there wearing a style that is almost 20 years old.

My son has a kid in his class with this very same haircut, to me, this is just plane child abuse!!!

RatTails ugh!!!! Don't you just wanna grab your scissors and sneak up behind people!!!
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Lyris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 8:31pm
That's hideous!
Look for beauty, and you will find no intelligence. Look for intelligence and you will find both.Proud member of the Cult of All Soft
demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 10:56pm
I have also heard mall bangs referred to as the claw. Because they were sprayed into a spikey claw shape sitting on your forehead. My husband used to say they were so sharp they could cut someone. I managed to maneuver my hair into that style but I had to spray it so stiff that it could not be moved at all. Someone asked me to push my bangs up to look at something on my forehead and I couldn't. They were too stiff.
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2003 at 7:35am
LOL...Demo, I remember it well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic