Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is a hair trend of the past that you hope never comes back in style?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is a hair trend of the past that you hope never comes back in style?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 11:40am
women: Permed afros, mall hair, crimped hair, big
bangs, blatant mullets. Or perming as such, for that matter. It forces hair into the shape - well - permanently - and can damage it.

men: the spiky look that seems finally to be creeping out of style

Say, Sophie, what does your hair look like now?
Was it different in the 1980s?

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 4:36pm
OK, let me state one thing very clearly, I NEVER had mall (the claw) bangs in the 80's...But I did have a perm all the way through the 80's right up until the early 90's. always long...long...long!

Hey, I did hair...and in the 80's we permed everyone, I think it was a rule. LOL

But now, my hair is just below my chin, long on top, layered and chunked out in back, and highlighted with kind of taupey honey color as I'm a level 3 brunette naturally. And, I like the a look of a lot of texture, so I love Styling products. Kind of messy looking really, but then I love that too!

L , You Asked!
L
E
W

I also have to say...Duke Daarling... the Texture Waves (perms) that are coming out are really beautiful, But, it can be key that you find a stylist great at giving perms.

Cheers
MightyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MightyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 4:47pm
I remember the Boz, that was awful. He used to paint colrs on the sides of his head (either red and white, the colors at Oklahoma, or blue and green, the colors he wore when he played for the NFL's Seattle Seahawks)

Just AWFUL.
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2003 at 9:41pm
Wow! I never thought this thread would be so popular.

You know what hair trend I hope DOES come back? 70's style Charlie's Angels dos. Is that called feathered??

Like the dumb sister on That 70's Show. I love her hair. Jackie on the same show has the same style, just different color.
I imagine the style would take more time in the morning than I am willing to spend.

Did any actual people achieve that style successfully in the 70's, or just TV and movie actresses with a stylist standing nearby at all times?
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Isla Q. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isla Q. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2003 at 2:57am
Didn't the Charlie's Angels look already make a comeback, a few years ago?
Looks really hard to keep looking good by yourself, though.
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2003 at 2:28pm
Oh believe me, we had styling products strong enough to make that style work...PM's Freeze n Shine...comes to mind. The same stuff that made those Mall bangs stand straight up, LOL.

What about the Grundge thing that was going on, late 80's...? I liked it. That's when the really fun and creative styling products started to come out.
Rachel A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachel A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2003 at 4:54pm
OK...I wasn't born until 1984 so the 80s are not my most familiar decade. I just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying reading all this. This is a great thread!!
"Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 2:12am
Oh my,

I saw an old trend the other day I completely forgot about.......the Chrissy ponytails....on Threes Company.

Anyone remember these?
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Taryn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taryn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 4:42am
Oh my god... My mom used to style mine and my sister's hair with HUGE POOFY bangs in the 90's! And it was strictly an 80's thing too. I was made fun of for that to the point where when I got to school I would brush them down. Oy vey.

I also used to wear side ponytails. Never again.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2003 at 6:26pm
Hi all,

Great thread. Been meaning to get here but never quite made it.

First of, do you all remember the 60s prom styles where the girls had like 6 foot of teased and super sprayed curls that were sprayed so much that literally they could have hurt someone if they bumped into the curls? YUCK.

And I remember the rat tails. YUCK YUCK.

Finally, I heard that on Threes Company the reason that Chrissie wore that side ponytail was because something had happened and a big chunk of her hair was missing and the only way to cover it was to put the hair in the side pony. LOL. Makes sense to me.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
sheryl soleil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sheryl soleil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2003 at 11:34am
mullet on either guys or girls-the worst
21/33/38 2cCiii

If you can't have the best, make the
best of what you have~unknown~
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2003 at 1:32pm
Ew, I saw a guy last night who had his hair buzzed everywhere but on top of his head, where he had a braided ponytail about 6 inches long hanging down.

Gross!

This wasn't the first time I've seen this hairstyle though. I think it's a skater boy thing.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
LiliBeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiliBeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2003 at 10:43pm
Karen, that is very interesting. I wonder if it was burned from the on the scalp bleach frying on her head.
I am a professional Hairstylist/Haircolorist with 19 years experience. I have traveled all over the country for my advanced education. I am also a salon owner.:)........and I LOVE Redken!!!
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2003 at 7:53pm
I always hated the female bi-level--bangs, long and all one length in the back, with the sides completely snipped off right up to the back of the ear. Do you know what I mean?

I also never liked the short permed afro look on men or women. BOTH of my parents had it (they got it together! How cute!)

I had that Charlie's Angel's thing, and loved it, but it ruined my hair, blowing out the sides with the plastic brush every day :(

Great thread!
[/url]

Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2003 at 7:59pm
How's this for bad eighties hair? Look at that top!

Not to mention that jumpsuit! and those brows!
[/url]

Isla Q. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isla Q. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2003 at 7:10am
OMG, Elissa, I love it! It's so 1980s!

Not bad eighties hair, it's eighties hair. You look like one of Sonny Crockett's conquests in Miami Vice or something!
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2003 at 3:04pm
Haaaa! Isla, you hit on it exactly, I had forgotten about Sonny Crocket...loafers, no socks, pastel suits, three day beard, perfectly highlighted hair....soooooo coooool!!lol.

Elissa, you were the perfect 80's woman...how old were you there?? We were all so cute in the eighties! Well, at least we were cool!

tony9999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony9999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2003 at 8:39am
Ellissa you look great in 80's hair... You married?
Change is good for the soul and fun to talk about!
Melis View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2003 at 4:20pm
I don't like the mullet. Those are probably the ugliest things I've ever seen. I also never like the ponytail on the side style. When I was little people tried to get me to do it.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2003 at 8:45pm
Elissa.
I HATE BIG PUFFY HAIR!!! It is sooooo goofy! -( I am 27 so I remember it from when I was a girl)-.
.....But you are just such a doll in that photo Elissa!!! You look SOOOOO INNOCENT! ... Just the girl next door, ever-so-cool, sweet and stylish with her big, big hair! Tee hee! I love it Elissa, even with that hair you are so pretty and innocent looking! You are just darling!!!
tina
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic