Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - perm disaster..need help real bad-in tears over it!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

perm disaster..need help real bad-in tears over it!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rebecca Heaton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebecca Heaton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: perm disaster..need help real bad-in tears over it!
    Posted: July 27 2004 at 10:35pm
i colored my hair 1 month ago. then i had it trimmed and pro-permed 3 days ago. i was mad because my hair was shorter almost at my shoulders, was in the middle of my back. i washed my hair regularly the day after i permed it. i can't comb thru w/ comb nor fingers when wet. i lose hair. it also knots right back up. while it dries, in the back of my head, the hair in the middle is like real sticky or slimy feeling. it's always knoted like some hair strands are sticking together and when i use my fingers to carefully try to comb it out, all i hear is little snapping noises. i bought alberto vo5 to strip out the perm-it was nasty anyways. also went to sally beauty for advise and bought beyond the zone strip search hair shampoo. i use any conditioner i can get my hans on. some work some don't. not even detanglers work. the only things i can't seem to get rid of is the unbelieveable knots and the nasty sticky feeling in some spots. while it's wet, i can't even comb thru it w/ anything! not a detangler comb, pick...nothing! i am in tears when i try to fix my hair. i need help very badly! if i can find someone whom knows what i can do please help i would really appreciate it very much! i'm desperate to know what i can do to make up for the damage i've done to my beloved hair.
sillysue4ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sillysue4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2004 at 2:55pm
i dont what to tell you other that i am surprised who ever did it didnt test your hair first. i had my hair get the gummy feeling once and i bought the hot oil treatments. i got volume plus another one i cant remember and used the both in combination. every other day i used a deep conditioner for it. as for the knots i dotn know what to tell you sorry:-(
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2004 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Rebecca Heaton Rebecca Heaton wrote:

i colored my hair 1 month ago. then i had it trimmed and pro-permed 3 days ago. i was mad because my hair was shorter almost at my shoulders, was in the middle of my back. i washed my hair regularly the day after i permed it. i can't comb thru w/ comb nor fingers when wet. i lose hair. it also knots right back up. while it dries, in the back of my head, the hair in the middle is like real sticky or slimy feeling. it's always knoted like some hair strands are sticking together and when i use my fingers to carefully try to comb it out, all i hear is little snapping noises. i bought alberto vo5 to strip out the perm-it was nasty anyways. also went to sally beauty for advise and bought beyond the zone strip search hair shampoo. i use any conditioner i can get my hans on. some work some don't. not even detanglers work. the only things i can't seem to get rid of is the unbelieveable knots and the nasty sticky feeling in some spots. while it's wet, i can't even comb thru it w/ anything! not a detangler comb, pick...nothing! i am in tears when i try to fix my hair. i need help very badly! if i can find someone whom knows what i can do please help i would really appreciate it very much! i'm desperate to know what i can do to make up for the damage i've done to my beloved hair.

ok... first of all, your hair is damaged and the cuticle is freaking out from all the chemical processes.

it will relax a little bit but you are doing more damage. Get a good moisturizing deep conditioner. I recommend the Fructis one (Garnier Fructis Fortifying Fortifying Deep Conditioner, 3 Minute Masque 5 oz (142 g)). It's fairly cheap and does a great job.

I had my hair damaged by a perm once too, and what I would do is smooth conditioner through it, then braid it in a loose. This would keep it from tangling up and give it a chance to rest. Use cool water when rinsing the conditioner out and try not to tug on it. The reason why your hair is tangling is because it's so damaged and the cuticle is pulled away from the shaft instead of laying flat the way they would on a healthy hair strand.

The perm will fall out a little bit... I have also rinsed my hair with apple cider vinegar to pull the perm out, rinse with cool water, then put the conditioner on and braid.

I had waist length hair when I thought I would get a perm to put in some body. I ended up with a Christina Aguilera "Lady Marmalade" hairdo!!
Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
strangerfromuk View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strangerfromuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2004 at 11:03am
hi

sorry to hear about your problem.

i think if your finding hair products aren't working then maybe the only answer is to have the damaged hair cut off.

i can guess this would leave your hair very short but at least then you could regrow your hair back to its former glory.

i hope this helps

yours

richard
Cindy2652 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cindy2652 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 11:03am
How do you use VO5 to strip out a perm? Are you talking about the VO5 in a tube? Thanks, I have the same problem. I need help.
rbober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2005 at 6:55pm
That slimy hair is exactly what I'm going through right now from my chemical (bleach) damage.  When this first happened to me it took hours for my hair to dry and I was unable to comb or finger trough it too. You have to wait until it air dries.  Do not blow dry or comb. It's been about 2 months since the damage and I still can't comb through, but it has gotten a lot better.  Your hair cuticle has been destroyed and the damaged hair will eventually need to be cut off. Treat it with a good deep conditioner (I use redken deep fuel [in little blue packets]), and I go to a stylist to get a deep treatment every 6 weeks. Once you have tried to repair the distressed hair, you will begin to realize just how much you will need to cut off. I had hair down to the middle of my back, and in about a month I will cut it just below my chin. I posted a picture in the topic of "severe chemical damage" -I started that topic for the same reason- check it out.  There are a lot of helpful tips there. But the fact remains this: repair w/ good conditioner for a while, then cut off what you have too. Sorry to share this misery w/ you and good luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic