Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

vaseline

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ellie_sansom142 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellie_sansom142 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vaseline
    Posted: February 03 2005 at 9:32am

Removing Vaseline from your Kid's Hair - nearly impossible to remove.
Here's what I found that worked. To remove vaseline, pour corn starch into your child's hair. It will absorb the oil. Shampoo. Repeat. It will take 3-4 washings to get it all out.  For more info: http://www.hairboutique.com/tip951.htm.

Edited by Administrator
annon View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote annon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2005 at 4:49pm
How did your kid come to hav vaseline in their hair in the first place?
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2005 at 9:05pm
Kids just do things like that.

You could also mix some lighter oil in, like maybe melted coconut oil to dilute it enough to wipe it out.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
rockin16 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockin16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2005 at 12:15pm
My friends daughter got vaseline in her hair and cornstarch is NOT working for her...any other suggestions?
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2005 at 7:51am

Dawn Dishwasing Liquid...put it on the hair...you'll need quite a bit... let it set on the hair for an hour then rinse well with hot water...as warm as can be tolerated.  You may need to re lather a second time, but you shouldn't need to wait an hour.  Besure to condition hair and scalp well after this.   The Soap needs time to break the petroleum gel down.   The corn starch step could be added before the Dawn Soap...sounds like a good step.

I really DISLIKE Vasoline...period.    Good Luck,  Sophie 

nuttymomof4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymomof4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 6:25am
Originally posted by Sophie Sophie wrote:

Dawn Dishwasing Liquid...put it on the hair...you'll need quite a bit... let it set on the hair for an hour then rinse well with hot water...as warm as can be tolerated.  You may need to re lather a second time, but you shouldn't need to wait an hour.  Besure to condition hair and scalp well after this.   The Soap needs time to break the petroleum gel down.   The corn starch step could be added before the Dawn Soap...sounds like a good step.

When you say pour the dawn in and leave it do you mean pour it in, suds it up and leave it or just pour, gently work through and leave....THEN suds it up and rinse?  We've been trying since Sunday to get Vasaline outta DD's hair and while it "seems" better her hair is still covered and we're all pretty tired....Many thanks.

Nath - a desperate mom

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 8:13am
Originally posted by nuttymomof4 nuttymomof4 wrote:

Originally posted by Sophie Sophie wrote:

When you say pour the dawn in and leave it do you mean pour it in, suds it up and leave it or just pour, gently work through and leave....THEN suds it up and rinse?  We've been trying since Sunday to get Vasaline outta DD's hair and while it "seems" better her hair is still covered and we're all pretty tired....Many thanks.

Nath - a desperate mom

Hi Nuttymom...I would not suds the more consentrated the better...does it suds??  that would be a good sign.  the soap needs time to break down the vasoline..so the time left on is the important thing...Let us know, cheers Sophie

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 10:19am

Sophie...is that you?  Waving.......

So good to see you......

One thing to consider when using the Dawn...which really works if the cornstarch doesn't....is that Dawn and Prell were both used by hairdressers in the past to strip hair color from the cuticle.  Which means it can also leave hair "squeaky clean" which is not a good thing.  That means all the natural oils are gone too and that is why the hair squeaks.

So once you get the Vaseline out, you may want to balance everything out by applying a rinse out moistuzing treatment to prevent tangles and difficulty combing.  Or use a moisturizing detangler/leave in conditioner to help remoisturize.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 11:13am

HI KAREN...Busy Lady, how are you?    

Such a good point!...sorry I was in such a hurry as usual...DO CONDITION AFTERWARD...for the sake of the hair as well as the scalp.

administrater View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 12:24pm

Hi Sophie,

You are hilarious & always have awesome tips.  Thank you so much.

I actually have some funny Vaseline stories from Askkaren.  Wanna hear some or are you sick of all that grease?

How are you?  I am so glad to see you here.  Oops...already said that but the sentiment remains.

And never, ever too busy to share posts with you.

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2005 at 8:26pm

Gosh...Thank's I love your site..as you should already know.  But I really need to take more time to vist other stuff...Like, ask Karen...I confess I haven't been there in awhile.  I'll take the time.

Really good to hear from you too...Cheers, the site looks great!

nuttymomof4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttymomof4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 9:18am

I am so happy I could scream!!!  I finally got the Vasaline out of my DD's hair!  She actually went to school today!  We've been trying since Sunday to get that stinkin vasaline out!  Yesterday I did the cornstarch thing, left it on for 15-20 minutes, she got her hair wet and I put so much Dawn on I was worried if all the bubbles would go down the drain....LOL  Left the dawn on for an hour, oh and it kinda automatically suds a little as you work it in.  After the hour was up she washed it out, we blow dried her hair and there was STILL Vasaline in her hair.  I gave the poor kid a break while we ate lunch and started the process over again.  This time I worked the cornstarch in better, let her sit 15-20 put even more Dawn in this time, worked it in REALLY good and let her sit for an hour.  After the hour was up I went to her and added a touch of water and really worked the Dawn through her hair for about 15 minutes and THEN I had her rinse and then condition.  HER HAIR IS VASALINE FREE!!!!!!  OMG I am so happy I could just scream!!!!!  Thank you so much for your help!!!!!!!!!

Nath - one happy mom with one happy daughter!

Sophie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sophie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2005 at 8:00pm

Awesome!!  So I digress...the added corn starch step & working it in well...sudsing and then letting it set.  COOL!

Actually it makes sense to suds it up when I think about it...the suds are what suspend oil and dirt from stuff.  So Cool, congratulations!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic