Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

chemically relaxing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sammy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chemically relaxing
    Posted: August 21 2002 at 9:32am
Hi,

I have thick frizzy curly hair and am fed up with it.

I always straighten it, but I can`t wear it down because its so frizzy, and if there is the slightest drop of rain, then all my hard work is undone.

I can`t afford the thermal reconditioning so am thinking about chemical relaxers.

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom that they would like to share?
Sportiemeg22@prodigy.net View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sportiemeg22@prodigy.net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2002 at 7:13pm
I have frizzy hair until I chemically relaxed it. Its great!!
ryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2002 at 8:15pm
do not straighten your hair!!!

do not, do not, do not, do not!

it`s the biggest mistake i`ve ever made in my life...i have naturally wavy/curly hair...and it messed it up bad...i had to shave my head...now, it will grow back ok...according to others on the site...but, do not do it...
karonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2002 at 8:03am
Well, it depends on the hair.

I have a relaxer, but yet when I want to, I can scrunch my hair and wear it wavy/curly again. If you want a relaxer, I`d advise you to go to a professional who knows what they are doing, and also, get a consultation first. But, if you want to relax it, you may be happy that you did. But if you don`t take care of it, you could suffer hair damage. But there are so many relaxers out there. I say go get a consultation with a stylist before anything.
Natural since Nov 6, 2004
Yadagi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yadagi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2002 at 1:25pm
I have very curly frizzy course hair and I used ti relax it and it was brilliant.
A lye(sodium hydroxide ) relaxer is more gentle on your hair than thioglycolate(i think thats what it`s called).
It will get rid of the frizzies and make it easier to straighten but it is not permanant and your curls will grow again from the root but if you have a special occasion to go to do it .Get it done by someone who has done it before on your type of hair not all hairdressers understand curly hair.
Also you can have your hair permed on big rollers so that the frizz and tight curls go but you stll have looser curls.
I used to do that too and my hair was nice then.
The only reason I haven`t done it since I got married( 3 years ago) is because I have been pregnant twicw and think that chemicals on your hair are bad in pregnancy and now I `m too busy to get it done..I`m concentrating on getting my curls in excellent condition so that they look good amd I am looking for the miracle product that will give me nice curls.
always have an open mind
threejobs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threejobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2002 at 11:40am
I have been relaxing my hair for the past 16 years and never had a bad experience, I do it myself. Get a mild formula to start, I like Revlon at Sally. Its already pre-mixed, you only have to buy the neutralizing shampoo to go with it. It is easy apply and the results are worth. I try to ignore scary posts about such things as relaxers. I know many friends who do their own hair and they love it. Go for it!
threejobs!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic