Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Curls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Surfergirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Surfergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curls
    Posted: July 15 2003 at 12:19pm
Hi
I have medium length wavy-ish frizzy hair and I really want to make it curly. (Without getting a perm!) When I try using tongs the curls just fall out. Is there anything I can buy to make my hair curl and stay in?
Thanks.
rona View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2003 at 10:45am
Hi Surfer Girl - Curls
I have the same problem with my hair and got talked into setting my hair by my mother. It took a while to get the right style. I actually resorted to going to a salon catering more for older woman and getting advice and letting her try various sets on me. I do it at home every few days and dry it off using my blow dryer. If I have a special night out I go to the salon and have it done properly. It felt a little odd initially a head full of rollers sitting under a dryer. Now I quite like the time to sit and relax.

Try it out out, if you get a good stylist you may get hooked on the whole experince.

lol

Rona
Dawn D. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 5:08pm
Hey Girls

Saw your postings here and it got me thinking about trying to manage my hair. It mousey brownish about 5 inches long with a mind of its own, bits always sticking out. I think I will head out saturday morning and see if my local hairdresser will try setting my hair. Never done this before but hey you gotta try stuff sometimes.

Stay tuned.

D
Dawn D. View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dawn D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2003 at 8:13pm
Well I did it, roller set at the salon and it looks pretty good.

This morning I went to a salon near home and talked to the stylist about trying to control my hair. She initially suggested perming but I was not sure. I asked about a roller set and she explained its ok if you want your hair to appear managed but it only last a few days. What the heck I said, lets try it.

So she washed my hair then begun rolling it, she was winding tight and it hurt a bit. After all the roller were in she tied a net on but I had to wait about 5 minutes because an older lady was still under the dryer. It felt a bit strange sitting there looking at myself in the mirror. Just as I was being taken over to the dryer a guy walked in to make an appointment, I blushed and looked way, feeling embarrassed. Luckily he was only there a few minutes.

I sat under the dryer for about 40 minutes getting bored. After drying the stylist removed the net and rollers then loosened the curls, a bit of combing and some spray. Gosh I was looking at different person, no frizzy bits sticking up, everything nicely in place.

I felt great, I had battled my hair and won. The hairdresser said it will only hold this style for a few days. She insisted I wear a shower cap when in shower as the steam will relax everything and bang I'm back to square one. So what, an hour at the hairdresser for a few days of perfect hair, it was worth it. She asked if I wanted to make an appointment for another set or even a perm? watch this space.

So Surfer Girl and Rona this may be a way round our problems, let me know if you decide to try this option.

XXX D.
Product Junkie7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Product Junkie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2003 at 8:29pm
If you hate sitting under the dryer like me, try my trick. I roller set at home, only at night. Then I put my soft bonnet hair dryer on warm and go to sleep! I swear, I have done this for years and have never had any electric shock or problems. I was scared that when I got married my husband would trip out, but he actually likes it. Says the hum makes him sleep well! My soft bonnet dryer is a Helen of Troy "Lazy Dazy" . But you can pick up any kind at Sally's or Walmart.
I put it right on my nightstand and and the hose is so long I can sleep in any position. I don't fall asleep right away, so I start off with a hot setting, then as a I get drowsy, switch to warm or low. If you fall asleep fast, just stick with warm or low. You will wake up proud of yourself, with an easy morning and good hair day.

Knowledge is Power
Rona View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2003 at 4:42am
Hi Product Junkie. I had thought about using one of those soft hood driers because it seems easier than waving my blow drier around for 20 mins. I guess you get used to sleeping with it on and it saves time in the morning. Where did u get yours? I vaguely remember my Mom having one years ago but have not seen them in regular shops. I'll try a hairdressing supply shop.

LOL Rona
Product Junkie7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Product Junkie7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2003 at 9:49pm
Hey, Rona!
My mother-in-law bought my for me for Christmas a few years ago. And my husband and I weren't even engaged yet. I had seen hers at her house and said I'd always wanted one, then she surprised me. Is she the bomb, or what? Anyway, I have seen them at Sally's or other beauty supply stores. They also sell just the bonnets w/ hose separately so you can attach to your blowdryer. I had one of those before too, and I wore it out! They are much cheaper, but not as safe to sleep in. Not that safety ever stopped me from sleeping in mine...
Knowledge is Power
Rona View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2003 at 9:51am
Hi again P. J. Well I took yr advice & bought a soft hood dryer then last night I set my hair and went to bed. No luck it was just so uncomfortable I couldn't sleep. I gave up, took the hood off and then the rollers out. I don't know how you sleep all night girl. I sleep alone so no one to complain about it. Its odd Surfer girl who started this topic has not bounced back in with comments. I hope she has found a way to beat this thing. Rona have u been back for another roller set? LOL Rona xxx
Golden_Curls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Golden_Curls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 10:58pm
Hi everyone
Im looking into dying my hair. SInce my curly hair is dry and hair color tends to dry hair...what are the hair coloring products that are ideal for dry curly hair...any suggestions are greatly appreciated
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic