Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I want to cut my Curly hair`

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TLCurly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TLCurly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I want to cut my Curly hair`
    Posted: March 03 2004 at 8:35am
I have been debating cutting my curly hair. It is more of a spiral curly but thin. Right now it is halfway down my back. This is pretty much how I have always kept it. I am thinking of cutting it to my shoulders. But I am concerned on how curly it may be without all the weight. Has anyone done this? How would you suggest it be styled? Meaning layers or one length? Thanks for any input. Also, if there is anyone in the Atlanta, Ga area that could suggest a salon that specializes in curly hair, I would love to call them.
TLC
Wild Rose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2004 at 12:20pm
I am a female but I don't think it really matters!!!! I know one thing and that is don't do it, ull end up looking like a mushroom, trust me!!!!! either just trim it or u know whats really hot!!!! spikes, which actually work better in curly hair than staight!!!! But that all I got 2 say!!!! GoodLuck
~*Rose*~

~Beauty rules are meant to be broken, and put back together in your own way~
Vee View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2004 at 6:53pm
AHHHHHHH
The exact same thing happened to me. Only in the end i cut it just below my shoulders. It really sucks. It curlz up to just above my shoulders and it will NEVER stay together propely, it frizzes up because there isnt as much weight keeping it together.
If u really want to, go ahead just I suggest you make sure you have a REALLY good gel or mousse(you may need it).

Good Luck
Gulleymonster View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gulleymonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2004 at 6:54pm
Layering it makes it frizzy. When it's short it's harder to style.
Good luck
Katie Scarlett View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie Scarlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2004 at 12:15pm
Me too. Got it cut about chin length maybe 6 years ago & I absolutely hated it.

I can only suggest that you not do anything drastic b/c you're bored w/your style. Sometimes some good hair accessories or maybe a little change in color can get rid of the boredom w/o doing any serious damage.
A Hairstylist View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Hairstylist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2004 at 8:31am
Cutting curly hair is not always going to make it worse. The right layering and right cut technique can make any length of curly hair manageable, and less frizzy. Consult your stylist about techniques to decrease frizz and excess volume at the ends of your hair. If they stammer, or they seem intimidated by your locks, find a stylist who is comfortable with curly hair. I have about 70 percent of my clientele having curly/wavy hair and they have all different hairstyles, and all of them whether short or long, feel their hair is more controlled and less frizzy.
paulaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2004 at 12:29am
Curly hair is not a curse, it's all about the right products and the patience to take care of it.

My daughter has natural, beautiful long curly hair (much like Halle Berry's new look). It took quite a bit of time for us to figure out how to work with it, but one of the best websites we've found is http://www.ouidad.com. This site lets you do a profile, and them picks the products that would be most beneficial to you. A bit on the expensive side, but well worth the money if you really want to love your curls.

Also, find someone who specializes in cutting curly hair and is in high demand. My daughter and I recently found a woman in Huntington Beach, CA, who is in constant demand for her talents regarding curly hair cuts.

The Ouidad website also helps you to find salons and stylists in your area who have gone to school or specialize in Ouidad's "slice and dice" cuts.

For anyone in the Orange County, California, area who is looking for a superb stylist, let me know and I'll be happy to provide you with the information that you're looking for.

Good luck,
Paula F
janet hickey View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janet hickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2004 at 4:08pm
I have the same hair you do. It was half way down my back and every time I tried to cut it the curl went crazy!. I just got my curl relaxed w/ a product called "extenso." I cost a 100 b/c my hair was so long, but now it only wavy to slightly curly and I finally was able to change my hair. After 20 yrs of fighting my hair it's awesome!
frizzygurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frizzygurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2004 at 9:11am
Don't let anone tell you that if you cut your curly hair it's gonna look horrible. It all depends on the cut, products, how you style it and the health of your hair. A big part of how your hair acts is all in the cut; not every stylist knows how to properly cut curly hair. A curly-haired gal has just as many options, if not more, than a gal with straight hair.

i have very fine hair with spiral curls that is oftentimes very frizzy and i have worn my hair as long as waist length to an extremely short cut, only about 3 inches long. Currently i am at shoulder length with layers starting at my chin.

To help weight down my hair, i use John Frieda Smoothing Cream (?) and a heavy gel by Tresseme that really defines my curls and keeps down the frizz. if you decide to cut it, just go a little bit at a time; it's easier to cut a bit more off right away or next week, than waiting to grow it back! BTW, i love my layers!
CO wash only since September '04! Dyed red botticelli curls (3b), fine and just past shoulder length
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic