Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to the site

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SiriusGrrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiriusGrrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to the site
    Posted: August 17 2004 at 11:35am
Hello all. I am new to this web site. I have been reading the posts for a few days but forgive me if I ask a question that may have already been asked.

On thursday (8/19) I am going to get a perm. It is actually my second attempt... the other time, i cancelled my appointment bc i was nervous.

The Brief History: I am 21 years old. I have straight brown hair. The length is about 3.5 - 4.5 inches below my shoulders.

I was nervous (and still am a little) for a few reasons. Obviously, it is a big change for me. But moreover i am afraid that the perm will take away the length of my hair. I have this fear that after the perm i will have Annie hair. I realize that this is irrational, seeing as how the lady that is doing my hair knows that I dont want tight curls. She actually told me that she will give me the biggest rods she has. Lately I would use hot rollers when I go out, just to get an idea of what itd be like. I really really like the look the hot rollers give me, however, i think a loose perm would be exactly the look i would like to acheive

While I was reading different posts on this site, i read how to style a perm by pointing the diffuser downward - that was a really good tip. (FYI) :-)

Are there any other tips that may be useful for me?

After my perm, if i want to go straight for a night, what is the best way? An air bush/ blowdryer, or a flat iron?

Sorry for the long post. I'm just really nervous/excited.

-Lori
As I grow to understand life less and
less, I learn to live it more and more.
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2004 at 11:48am
A good stylist will test a bit of your hair first, before doing the actual perm.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiriusGrrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2004 at 12:33pm
What do you mean? How can you test the hair when it comes to a perm. Doesnt the perm go thru a process before being done?

I'm not too sure about testing my hair, but the lady that is perming my hair has been working with my hair since i was in 9th grade...

Thanks for the reply.
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2004 at 12:53pm
Hello and welcome... I see no has informed you of the rules we have for newbies! You must submit a picture of you and your hair for all us hair fans to oggle over and offer our unwanted opinions about...lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiriusGrrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 9:35am
How do i go about submitting a pic. The best i can do it direct those of you who want a pic.

community.webshots.com/user/siriusgrrl

I am Lori.. so in the desciption (if i am in it) will say either 'Lori' or 'me'. ::shrug:: Hope that is sufficiant.

I edited bc i didnt know how to use the url thing. Oh well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiriusGrrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 10:02am
Actually... this may be one of the best pics that i have that will show what my hair type is like and such.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/174720296/174726280SENhMj

or

http://community.webshots.com/photo/174720296/174723179ZcGlYX

As you can probably tell.. its angled in the front. However the actual length (from the back) is about 3-4 inchs below my shoulders.

Hope that I helped you all to get a better understanding.
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2004 at 12:03pm
Looks like you have great hair... I don't think damage or excessive shrinking should be a problem. As always try to go to trained pro!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic