Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gel or Mousse?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rocko Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocko Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gel or Mousse?
    Posted: August 21 2004 at 7:54pm
I have really thick, frizzy, dry, curly hair and I was wondering what brands of gel or mousse I should use for my hair.
What now!
frizzygurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frizzygurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2004 at 12:07pm
It's hard to say without seeing pics, knowing the length, weight, whether it's color-treated, etc.. I love my curls, especially at this moment, today was a perfect hair day!!!!!

A few guidelines on curly hair:
1) Always use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. Dove is great for curly hair but is really lightweight. If you need something heavier, Suave may do the trick.

2)Throw out your brush! use a wide-tooth comb only and ONLY on wet hair.

3)Squeeze out excess moisture with a towel once out of the shower. Do not rub dry, it will cause frizzies.

4)Apply product on wet hair and only scrunch in to keep down frizz.

5)If you must use a blow-drier, always use a diffuser on low heat. Not everyone has good results with blowdrying. For some, air-drying results in less frizz.

6)Never be afraid to combine products. At any given time i have about 3 different products in my hair.

As far as products, I recently started using a new combination. Infusium 23 spray leave-in-conditioner, a spray volumizing gel by Pantene (concentrated on roots and front frizzy parts) and Suave (professional line) Firm Hold Gel (it's the knockoff of Biolage gelee). Applied in that order.

Works great for me but the same thing won't work for everyone. A cream like Frizz Ease Wind Down cream applied under a gel may work well to keep down your frizzies. Another great gel with even more hold is Tresseme Mega Hold gel. A mousse (in my opinion) does not provide as much hold as a gel.

Hope this helps ya out!
CO wash only since September '04! Dyed red botticelli curls (3b), fine and just past shoulder length
ashlee18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashlee18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2004 at 7:07pm
I love Pantene Pro-V stuff. I use the leave-in conditioner and the spray gel for curl defining.. it's fantastic. Try it!
~Ashlee
music4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote music4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 11:59am
I use LA looks mega hold gel and  it works really great for me. But don't put it in right when you get out of the shower. Wait like 10-15 min. The hair should still be damp, but not dripping. Let it air dry to because blow drying will cause it to frizz. Also you could try using cold water to rinse out conditioner. That sometimes helps with the frizz.
Would you light my candle?
Porpoise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porpoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2005 at 1:51pm
I also use the LA Looks Mega Hold gel. If you do want to blow dry your hair, use a diffuser.
DANGER! I drive like you do.
Kindofcurly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kindofcurly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2005 at 12:28am
Try fructis surf hair, I like it better than gel, stays in hair for longer and doesn't leave it as stiff as with gel, try also the fructis sleek and shine serum, it makes my hair much softer otherwise it would be very dry and frizzy.
babyamry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyamry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2005 at 12:22pm

I use Biosilk therapy hair serum and Biosilk therapy hair gel. I have small to medium size curls and I live where humidity is thick. This stuff is pricey but works great! I also swap out with Ouidad hair products which look fabulous also. You can get your curls analyzed on their website. www.ouidad.com

Hope this helps!

tommygrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommygrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2007 at 2:00am
TRY USING GRAHAM WEBBS MAKING WAVES GEL WITH A CURLS ROCK LEAVE IN CONDITIONER BY TIGI
imapearl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imapearl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 11:51pm
I use Vavoom Hold Me Gel.  I love it.  It works better for my hair than any other.  I also put leave in conditioner it in and vitamins and use Sleek Look shampoo and conditioner.
PlutoPowered View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlutoPowered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by Rocko Girl Rocko Girl wrote:

I have really thick, frizzy, dry, curly hair and I was wondering what brands of gel or mousse I should use for my hair.

As others have posted, a good conditioner will help with curly, dry hair (as will a leave in conditioner).

Keep in mind there are different kinds of gel and mousse.

A soft hold gel can be used and will be pretty much unoticable and will help keep frizzies away and protect the hair a bit.  It is also the gel you want to use if you want to straighten your hair.

Mousse generally has a soft hold but can get "crunchy" when left in curly hair as it air dries.  Mousse is also a good candidate if you are going to straighten your hair.

A firm / strong hold gel is something you want to use if you want a defined curl that stays in place and is not frizzy.  This kind of gel may get a slightly "hard" feel to it but will hold very well.  Should be used with a diffuser or left on as you air dry your hair.

What really works great for curly hair is pomade or some styling creams or waxes (depending on the length of hair).  They can be applied to wet or dry hair and have a hold but don't get "hard" or "crunchy".  You can also use pomade to help relax some of your curl.

Finally, some Mica spray (by ABBA) would add lots of shine.

Edit:  I just realized the original post was made in August of 2004.  Why do I bother? Confused

Edited by PlutoPowered - March 12 2007 at 7:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic