Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buildup on my hair, what can I do!!!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MrsK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buildup on my hair, what can I do!!!?
    Posted: October 28 2004 at 11:46am
I have curly hair, it is pretty thick. I was having a tough time this summer when I moved to a new house, my hair was very difficult to manage, felt VERY dry, and I could not even get a brush through it. Combined with that, I was getting this white buildup on my hair, and it would show up in chunks at times, it feel waxy or something. I got a water softener installed in my house, and that made things better, but I am getting those white chunks again. I dont know if it is in my shampoo/conditioner or what. I need to know what I can use to cleanse my hair of any build up that is on it. I heard of something before using mayanaise then vinager? I am really frustrated, and would like any advice that you may have. Help!!

- Mrs K.
MrsK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 12:12pm
I just found this website:

http://www.healthyhairplus.com/

they sell some kind of cleanser for fifteen bucks, but I feel like I have tried so many products, it may be useless to try one from there.

Again, any suggestions that you all have is more than appreciated. I just want to figure my curly hair out more, because I just don't like it! Stuff like this buildup is really frustrating. Thanks in advance.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 5:53pm
Well lets start by me asking....what do you use in your hair? What is your regimen and how often do you use it?
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

MrsK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 2:37pm
The sampoo varies, as does the hair spray. I keep trying different products to get a feel for what might actually work in the long run. I am 28, so maybe my hair is changing its qualities too?

I've used the anti-friz stuff, but never really saw any results. I can't remember the name of the exact hair spray right now, but it comes in a light purple bottle. The shampoo right now is a mint/sage smelling shampoo I got from Costco.

MrsK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2004 at 2:44pm
I forgot to mention I use the conditioner that came with it too, and when I think my hair is too dry, I use a leave in conditioner that I bought at my salon, which is for dry curly hair. That helps me brush through it sometimes. I really have no idea what the buildup is from, I would guess the hair spray or conditioner?
frizzygurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frizzygurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 8:45am
I use a vinegar rinse on my hair that really helps with buildup. I get white flakes on my scalp as well. i think it's just dry scalp, something common with us curlies.

Anyway, 1-1 1/2 tsp of white or apple cider vinegar to 6 ounces of distilled water. Most of the time i coat my length with conditioner and use the rinse only on the scalp. Occasionally i will use it on the length as well if i feel i have buildup. i started doing it 2x weekly but am down to every other week, scalp only. It can be drying, especially if your hair is not in Great condition so use sparingly.

If you use products heavy in 'cones, like silicone, it can cause a lot of buildup in your hair and can contribute to drying out your hair, something that is very common with us gals with curly hair.

What brands of shampoo, conditioner and styling products do you use? How often do you shampoo? How often do you blowdry? How often do you use your curling iron? THis will give us an idea of what the culprit could be.
CO wash only since September '04! Dyed red botticelli curls (3b), fine and just past shoulder length
MrsK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 9:52am
Thanks for the idea with the vinegar. I have used it to clean things before, but not my hair! So you just use it as a rinse? (ie, you pour it on your head and move it around, then rinse it out?)

I don't use a curling iron, nor do I straighten my hair often. I was my hair 2 out of every 3 days. I use a blow dryer every time after I wash and sytle it, and I use it with a diffuser.
MrsK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 10:04am
heathlyhairplus.com responded to my email with this:

"we recommend the emu shampoo and emu conditioner also you will need to use
the folliclease shampoo twice a week to remove all the build up."

Thoughts?
frizzygurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frizzygurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 11:02am
I know someone that raised emu and used emu oil for everything, hair, skin, nails, etc. and she swears by it. I know it is very good for you however, i wonder about buildup. I'm very skeptical of buying anything without seeing the ingredient list. I am on the Curly Girl (CG) routine which involves no shampoo or products that build up and my scalp and hair look great. I've never had such healty Here are a couple of threads where i posted some info on the CG routine:

http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP967431121&id=2998

http://talk.hairboutique.com/forum/viewthread.asp?forum=AMB_AP967431121&id=2997

Also try the www.naturallycurly.com website. Nothing but curlies on the boards!
CO wash only since September '04! Dyed red botticelli curls (3b), fine and just past shoulder length
MrsK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2004 at 9:24am
thanks, you have been very helpful!
lost232 View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lost232 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2004 at 8:31pm
Baking soda works to get any kind of build up from your hair. You just put some on your scalp and massage it in with your finger tips with your shampoo...it works really well for me...after one time of doing all that weird stuff was gone!
(All the build up came on my head as we moved into a new house too!!!!! WEIRD! LOL...)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic