Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need a creative style

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
april View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote april Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a creative style
    Posted: December 22 2000 at 4:04pm
hi, i need a creative style that is different and trendy. i am 14 and have layered hair that comes just above my shoulders. i can barely put it in a full pony tail, only half. can anyone help me out??? oh yeah, it`s for a party.
Lezlee View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lezlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2000 at 12:45am
Reply to message: 13.33.1
Well if you can put your hair in even a small ponytail you can do the wild ponytail/updos in this article. There are two at the end and they are very cool looking.

http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip829.htm
Ditzy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ditzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2000 at 2:35pm
Reply to message: 13.35.1
Lezlee April said her hair was short! Those hairstyles are a bit (way to long) for her hair if she can only put it in a half pony tail!

Maybe you were trying to help but you should have looked at the page first before you gave it to her.
I know you were just trying to help but you should READ carefully first!

Ditzy
Lezlee View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lezlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2000 at 4:39pm
Reply to message: 13.36.1
To repeat my comments, IF April can put her hair into a tiny ponytail, key word, TINY made from short hair, she can try the styles I mentioned. So where is your advice other than slamming mine?

Lezlee
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2000 at 5:18pm
Reply to message: 13.37.1
quote:

Lezlee originally wrote:
Reply to message: 13.36.1
To repeat my comments, IF April can put her hair into a tiny ponytail, key word, TINY made from short hair, she can try the styles I mentioned. So where is your advice other than slamming mine?

Lezlee

Hi Lezlee,

Thank you very much for taking the time to offer your help for style suggestions. I appreciate it very much.

Updos are tricky styles and if you want to know a secret, they drive me the nuttiest of anything related to hair. Why? Because everyone always wants something "different, something noone else ever has worn".

OK. Big sigh. Well this is almost impossible because bottom line, there are some basic styles that can be changed around but there are a finite number of updos that can be done. The "new and never seen" comes from adding funky touches like new hair jewelry, glitter, floating jewels, hair sequins, color, tiny spikes, shine, texture, etc. That is where the new and edgey comes in. Also, making updos out of hair that is not naturally thought of as appropriate for that look is how you do something different.

The style that you are referring to can indeed be worn by someone with short to shoulder length hair. It can also be worn by someone with mid-back length hair. With some modifications it can be worn by people with super long hair.

Which is another topic. Any age, any sex, any hair length can wear most any style. Yes, a super short bob can not wear an updo like Jennifer Aniston wore with the tied sections. However, I have even seen people with short to medium hair pull that look off with just tiny sections of hair.

It is impossible for me to show every style in every length of hair so I do encourage people to experiment and try all sorts of variations of a style. If I post styles for long hair, people with short hair and medium hair write and ask me for styles for their hair length when in reality, styles can be modified to suit the length and texture of just about any hair.

The style you referenced question can definitely be modified for short hair.

The key as you said, is to use very small or tiny amounts of hair. The style I suspect you are referencing is the two at the end where the ponytail is brushed up from the bottom and over the crown. Y

es, that style could be worn, even in a modified way, by someone with medium or shorter hair. They could accomplish a modified look by using all their hair "up" to the crown and then putting the hair into a lot of little or tiny tails. They could also gel the hair so that even if it did not go into an actual ponytail, they could give the impression of faux tails.

Bottom line, thank you for your posts. The purpose of HairTalk is for everyone to fell comfortable to express their opinions and provide their own brand of feedback.

I hope noone ever rules out a style because they think it is for longer or shorter hair or whatever type of hair. Rachel Leigh Cook has thin, fine hair and when it was on the shorter side in a bob I actually saw her wear it in a faux French twist. It looked great. Yet it was not a French twist that a person with longer hair could have pulled off. Yet it was stunning. Well done and creative.

I guess keeping an open mind, being creative and looking for ways to try new ideas with your hair is the most important thing.

Best wishes & Happy Holidays.

Karen Shelton
Hairboutique.com
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Alex B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2001 at 2:55pm
I haven`t looked at the pages that seem to be a bone of contention for these girls, however you are 14 years old and that means you can afford to wear almost anything.

Try putting your hair into small pontails in equal sections throughout your hair. Then twist each ponytail until it rolls in on itself and pin into place. This is a very trending look on the catwalk today.

The other alternative is to section the front of the hair from ear to ear clip the back section out of the way. Then divide the front section into 5 equals parts. Twist these sections back leaving the ends free and pin to the crown. With the free ends back comb softly and mist with a little hair spray. The back section that is now left straight can either be softly curled with a heated wand or left alone. This is a very funky look and for added interest put some hair jewels or tiny flowers into the front section.
Alex B - Make Up Artist
Tigerhawkgurl1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tigerhawkgurl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2001 at 5:16pm
April, hey, i think you should put your hair in a half pony tail and then curl it. But leave only a few strands of your bangs down. Then curl them letting them hang freely. Hope this was a good tip. Bye
*HEY*
Tigerhawkgurl1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tigerhawkgurl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2001 at 5:17pm
April, hey, i think you should put your hair in a half pony tail and then curl it. But leave only a few strands of your bangs down. Then curl them letting them hang freely. Hope this was a good tip. Bye Tigerhawkgurl1
*HEY*
SwimmerSam View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwimmerSam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2001 at 7:24am
Yo!~! okay pull ur hair back into little cornrows and then if u have those jewel tingies stick them on there with the rest of ur hair crimp it, braid it, curl it!~!~! hope i helped good luck!
SyNtHeTkPoPtaRt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SyNtHeTkPoPtaRt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2002 at 8:09pm
::psycho somatic addict insane::
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic