Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WHAT PRODUCTS DO YOU SWEAR BY?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dawnrsanders View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawnrsanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHAT PRODUCTS DO YOU SWEAR BY?
    Posted: February 18 2000 at 7:51pm

I have been researching best products to achieve results for African American or curly/dry hair textures. Specifically, I am looking for excellent products for the following:

detangling, smoothing, ending breakage, holding styles, relaxing, curling, moisturizing, ending frizz, volumizing, shampooing, conditioning etc etc etc. Please let me know which ones and why.

Thank!!!
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2000 at 11:04pm
Hi Dawn,

While I don't have African American hair and I can't recommend products that I would swear by for that category of hair, I can tell you that over the past 2 years I have gotten many emails from African American women who tell me that they have had great luck with the ABBA line of shampoo and conditioners.

I personally tried the products (several of them) on my hair and posted reviews in the Products page. Unfortunately it overmoisturized my normally dry, highlighted hair.

I got lots of email on my first review of ABBA from African American women with very dry hair who said that the ABBA products work great for dry hair that is more of the texture of African American than my Caucasian hair.

I found this very helpful and interesting and it seems to be the case.

I would love to hear if any other women have experienced ABBA as helpful for dry hair.

Personally I use ARTec's Moisture Pak like crazy and it works fantastic for my dry, naturally wavy, chemically highlighted hair.

I am also testing a new product line (well new to me) and it is fabulous. I will be providing details later as I finish with the tests.

Thanks for the topic Dawn. It is excellent. I hope all of you will share since this is one hair area that I am really interested to learn more about.

Best wishes,
Karen
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
chocolate chip View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chocolate chip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2000 at 5:31pm
I have been Pantene shampoo and conditionersnsince I first got samples of them in the mail in 1992. I am 3/4black and 1/4 Phillipino and have long slightly wavy hair. I noticed how soft Pantene left my hair with the very first use. Two years ago, I found a hairstylist who used Aveda Purefume Brilliant Emolient on my hair and I have used it ever since. It smells clean and fresh, leaves my hair soft and super shiny, and it does not feel greasy or gunky.
shell View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2000 at 1:10pm
I swear by avalon products, they have a detangler shampoo that I find to be wonderful, I use it all the time.
You can ask you hair stylist about it because most hair supply stores do not carry it. Try the conditioner 5 in 1 by them and you will a tremdous affect in your hair results.

My hair is silky looking and very healthy looking.
try it and let me know how it works for you.

Michelle
RaeLB View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RaeLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2000 at 12:14am
Hi Dawn,

I have heard that ARtec have very good products. I read in a blackhair care mag that (Eve the rapper) uses their color depositng shampoo to give her hair the look. Where would one find this product?...store, salon, etc.

RaeLB
mari View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2000 at 2:02am
Pantene in the red
coditioners and shampoos..
anything from Pantene!!
remember to leave conditioner on you hair for about 5 min. before rinsing and you'll see what I'm saying..
Dirk Evans View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirk Evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2000 at 9:57pm
Hi Dawn-

Avlon's KeraCare line of products have a complete array of conitioners and shampoos that optimize the ability for the hair to become it's best.

Dirk Evans
HairCareHotLine
www.haircarehotline.com
chocolatedelux View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chocolatedelux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2000 at 6:27pm
I switch up on the products that I use from time to time, but the ones that always seem to stick around are Cholesterol for conditioning and detangling, Pantene Pro-v Shampoo & Conditioner, BB supergrow hair oil for my scalp, and African Royale Hot Six Oil when I don't want my hair to be heavy w/oil. I usually wash my hair w/Pantene once or twice, and then once with Herbal Essence--so 3 times total. I put the cholesterol on first and then the Pantene conditioner, so i use two conditioners at once. I put on a plastic cap and let the conditioner sit for 30-60 minutes. Once you rinse out the conditioner, you'll see how soft and untagled your hair is the minute you run a comb through it. While it's wet I rub the BB and Hot six oil in and style as usual.
joi View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2000 at 1:06am

I'm in the process of growing my hair out of a relaxer and the least time it takes me to comb though it, the better for the relaxed ends.

The best product, to me, for detangling and making hair really soft to comb thru while wet is "Soft and Beautiful Conditioner". Its smells soooo good, like Peach, and is a great wash out conditioner (don't use it as a leave-in).

I use Luster's Pink Oil Moisterizer and jojoba oil while my hair is still wet. Apply the pink oil generously, tie it up after you've finished styling you hair, and the hair (relaxed ends and natural hair) will be super soft in the morning.

For the skin:
definitely NOXZEMA! I have combination skin and its great for me. I use it to wash my face. After washing, i apply another thin coat and use it as a moisterizer under makeup. Sometimes I wash my face then apply another medium coat and sleep with it on my face. I've only had one zit in 2 months and it only lasted for a couple of days. And that was because i didn't wash my face properly the night before.

KeIsHa View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeIsHa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2002 at 10:45am
For Hair: Shampoo-Tresseme Products (you wouldn`t think it works but it does)
Mosturizers: Pink Lotion and Profectiv Products

For Face: IOD gel by Christian Dior (go to your nearest Dilliards)
karonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote karonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2002 at 7:56am
PROFECTIV PRODUCTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Natural since Nov 6, 2004
Mioki Fails View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mioki Fails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2002 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by dawnrsanders dawnrsanders wrote:

I have been researching best products to achieve results for African American or curly/dry hair textures. Specifically, I am looking for excellent products for the following:

detangling, smoothing, ending breakage, holding styles, relaxing, curling, moisturizing, ending frizz, volumizing, shampooing, conditioning etc etc etc. Please let me know which ones and why.

Thank!!!

I recently tried the pytospecific phytorelaxer #2 two weeks ago and I love the results!! Before that I was using Excel and had smooth hair that didn`t last very long but kept my hair in great condition. But with the phyto system, I noticed no reversion and my hair has been incredibly soft. I deep condition twice a week and wash my hair probably 4 to 5 times a week because it gets too kinky and sweaty when I work out. The shampoo I ablolutely love is Cream of Nature by Revelon. When you rinse the shampoo out, your hair is silky soft. Then I condition it, rinse well , dry lightly and apply keraCare essential oils to the ends of my hair and style it. OR, sometimes after a deep conditioning session followed by the kera oil ( only a few drops at the ends) I sometimes set my hair on metallic rollers and sit under a dryer and read oprah magazine or do my nails for about an hour. If you do this, you can`t miss with absolutely "bouncin and behavin" hair that`s absolutely shiny and strong without the greasy jerry curl look. Try it and let me know!!!
GrowingHair View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrowingHair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2002 at 3:19pm
Smoothing - any product containing silicone will smooth hair. You can identify a product which contains silicione because the ingredient will end in "methicone"

Ending breakage - your hair needs moisture and protein. Protein is the only element that can strengthen hair thats on our head. Protein conditioners should be followed with a moisturizing conditioner.

Holding styles - very bad for hair if your looking to hold it in place, that requires drying the hair into place which means drying out your hair which causes breakage

Relaxing - I suggest lye relaxers because they do not dry the hair as much as no lye relaxers

Curling - roller set your hair and use leave in conditioner or a settling lotion

Moisturizing - should contain water, no Lanolin, petroleum or mineral. A good moisturizer generally contains water and essential oils such as lavendar.

Ending frizz - once you end dry hair, frizz should decrease.

Volumizing - roller setting addes body.

Shampooing - avoid shampoos that contains sulfates which strip the hair

Conditioning - there`s protein/reconstructors conditioners, mositurizing conditioners and instant conditioners. I`m against instant conditioners. Protein is used for weak hair, mositurizing for dry hair.
DEENIE View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEENIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2003 at 11:37pm
Mason Pearson brush-increases shine; less breakage

handcut tortoise shell comb-Kent brand is good-reduces breakage

silk scarves

AVEDA Brilliant shampoo and conditioner. Also have a moisturizing cream that is VERY RICH- even for Afro-textured hair. I love it!! My husband loves it--he has coarse textured hair. I can run my hands through his hair after he uses it. I use it on my daughter's natural, regular afro-textured hair. Now she has wash and go hair. The comb glides right through the hair. Also, it retains moisture so that I do not use any greasy products on my hair. The reult being that my hair has more body and does not become that awful see-through hair (of course, regular trims help with this as well).

It is pricey, but worth it-- especially since most regular shampoos, etc. are made for straight hair.

Sebastian Sheen conditioner is also very good.
Sebastian apple or rose shampoo good too.
Phtytheratrie products
Keracare great too
REDKEN Extreme Anti_Snap Serum is also great.

My fave though, is AVEDA Pure Brilliant. AVEDA also has a SAP MOSS line that is a clso second to the Brilliant line
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic